Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #76
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
I would make the same arguement with KTM and the 690's. They have a wide variety of application, but many of us just wanted the new, counter-balanced, 6-speed motor in the 640 ADV chassis, with the existing 25-liter tank and rally fairing.
Yup. Even just a smooth 640A with gearspread would still sell like crazy, and KTM likely could have ironed out any reliability issues by now.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #77
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,552
The old kwaka with the hi/low ratio gear box was a great bike.

Then there was the o'l K3 xl 350..did my first decent adventure ride on one of these babies.
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #78
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
A DS bike I'd like to see, would be something similar to my first motorcycle, a 1986 Honda XL250R. Two carbs, four valves, two exhaust pipes (2 into 1) and one cylinder. All kinds of torque to loft the front wheel with my skinny 140 pound ass riding it. Very reliable machine, I rode it all the time and it never, ever, broke. The brakes left something to be desired however, they were drums on both wheels, and had a tendency to suddenly lock up. In this picture, I had just brought it back from being buried in mud up to the bottom of the cylinder.

Another old machine, that I still own, is my '77 Husky WR250 Cross Country. Drum brakes. Dual rear shocks. Bing 54 round slide carb. Five gears. A clattering monstrosity of a two stroke air cooled engine. Get it out on a straight section and bang it into 5th gear, open the throttle, and it's going to accelerate beyond any reasonable speed. I've had it over 70 according to my GPS. The brakes and suspension are not really up to the job, going around corners involves steering the back tire more so than the front, especially since hitting the throttle in a turn tends to lift the front wheel. This old bike is a reminder to me of how far we have come with motorcycles. The Husky is a hard to handle bucket of bent bolts that only can be said to have brakes because the parts are still physically attached, with an on/off switch for a throttle, that leaves behind it thrown rocks, smoke, noise, and confusion. It's my very favorite motorcycle, and may it live a long life.

Compared to the old Husky, my '08 KLR is a comfortable, smooth, sane, reasonable mode of transportation, which does surprisingly well off road on single track and steep hills below the Hudson Lake dam, or wherever else I have taken it. With some decent tires, it will go anywhere I point it - provided I can hang on.
Tinker1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #79
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
The DRZ and DR650 keep cropping up in this thread. I've owned both, and if a good enough deal came along I'd probably own both again. The fact is though that both are pigs that can't produce the snap of a modern "serious" DS, or the zing of yesteryears low seat two strokes. I worked pretty hard modding my DR, but in the end 380 pounds means "Ride of Valkries" is playing in your head as you crush your way across the countryside.

Some comment is still being made about the new 250 weights being almost the same as the 650's. I thought that too until I rode a WR250R. I don't know how 300 pounds can be made to feel 100 pounds lighter than the 325 pound DRZ, but it does. And my WRR is MUCH better on the highway than a DRZ. FWIIW I ride my WR somewhat like an old two stroke and don't really notice the lack of grunt anymore. It seems the new Honda has pulled off that weight trick too, and filled in the low range of the power band. Hopefully, some 350-450 versions will come to us.

My goofiest "dualsport" was an Ossa ISDT 250. 250 pounds, low and grunty, you could nurse that chunk anywhere. Premix and smokie!
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #80
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,371
The DRZ 350s and 400s are still around in some numbers so I eliminate them since they haven't "disappeared". Everyone's idea of a DS is different, for me it's being able to connect trails so more of a tagged dirtbike with some range. So in that regard, I'd pick an IT175, Nice wide ratio 6sp, super reliable, relatively light (esp for the period) 199lbs and it'd smoke most 250s except for serious MX bikes in a drag race, had decent range and there were few 4 strokes of the period that would keep it in sight on a trail. Yeah it's a smoker

RideFreak screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 03:39 PM
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #81
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Unfortunetely, many of us live in states where you cannot make a dirt bike street legal. But, yeah, if I could, then an IT175 would be a great ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
The DRZ 350s and 400s are still around in some numbers so I eliminate them since they haven't "disappeared". Everyone's idea of a DS is different, for me it's being able to connect trails so more of a tagged dirtbike with some range. So in that regard, I'd pick an IT175, Nice wide ratio 6sp, super reliable, relatively light (esp for the period) 199lbs and it'd smoke most 250s except for serious MX bikes in a drag race, had decent range and there were few 4 strokes of the period that would keep it in sight on a trail. Yeah it's a smoker
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #82
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I don't. At least not any more. I took advantage of the open titles on KTM's and now I have stupid fast , ridiculously light and entirely too much fun two stroke dual sport.

But, like I said earlier, about the only things it has in common with a 1970's two stroke dual sport are two wheels and two stroke oil.
I have a building filled with old OSSAs & Suzuki PEs. Love 'em all, but mostly look at 'em now. I sold my 'out dated 2000 DR650' and bought a 'Updated 2000 KTM LC4 640' to go along with my 03 KTM 4 stroke and 08 KTM 2 stroke(both registered and plated). KTM has figured it out and the Jap companies have not. Why did I sell my tried & true DR650? I had put 12,000+ miles on it and the electrical problems I had with it always happened out in the middle of nowhere! Suzuki needs to install a kickstart lever and upgrade this model. Its still better than the KLR(I personally hate them), but its still a street bike with high fenders NOT a real dual sport(and I tried lol). Put my leg over a KTM 640 and realized how much I disliked the DR650! Now just finding a better seat for my street ride a 650 wee Strom..life will be good!!

BTW, grew up on Suzuki TCs & TS models..cool little bikes..ride an OSSA you'll forget your TS models!!
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #83
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,125
I had a Bultaco Alpina 250 back in the day. Trials bike based trail bike. Light, street legal, grunty 2 stroke. It was a great bike. I would love to see a modern rendition of the Alpina - with a torquey fuel injected 4 stroke and wide ratio 6 speed. I think I just described the KTM Freeride but those seem somehow different.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #84
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
6 pages, and no one has mentioned the discontinued KING of dual-sports....the KTM 640 Adventure.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #85
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
KTM 250 gs was also a great dual bike. I had one plated in the 80s. Sorry no pics

L
Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #86
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
i had an 1980 xl500 great ds bike
Old 01-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #87
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Now I know at age 67 why I just purchase a new Honda CRF250L, trying to bring back those old days back in the 60's. After owing just about all types of bikes that there are out there, I'm trying to bring back those old days just to get that feeling again. This little Honda just put a smile on my face when I rode it around the block for the first time, all I could think of was back in the days of trail riding, my smile was ear to ear. I really enjoyed reading all the post, I felt as if I were there doing it all over again. Keep up the post, very enjoyable. A little 250 might not work for most of you, but for me it's been very enjoyable. I probably can't remember how bad those bikes handled back then, but it was all cutting edge technology of its day.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #88
GlennF33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I had an XT350 which was just the right size. If they had used the TT350 suspension on that bike it would have been a real winner.
GlennF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #89
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,207
I have very low standards for bikes, 6 inches of travel in the front, 4 or 5 in the back, light weight and air cooled (that seems to go together), in a 350 to 500cc size 4 stroke engine.

But what you seem to get now is street bikes with knobby's or motocross bikes with tags.
DR650 is to heavy but nice, the dr350 was fine, the drz is tall, water cooled and has that transmission thing.

The Japanese used to give you a lot of choices, 90, 100, 125, 175, 250, 350, 400, 500, 650 cc's in the same basic bike, plus over the years both 2 and 4 strokes.
Now its almost only 250 or 650 (or bigger) sizes.

And it seems like water cooling and great suspension just makes the bikes heavier with the weight up high.
Then, because you have a big engine, you need a huge gas tank, more weight up high.

My first bike was a TC 90 (go rotory valve!) and a TS 185 would have been my dream bike.

No market for some sizes these days I suppose, but then it seemed crazy to sell all those little street legal bikes in the past, cb/sl 100's,125's, my TC 90, DT100's, who was riding those things on the street?
What could you do with a 125cc 4 stroke bike with 10 hp on the street?
Did we need turn signals in the dirt?

I suppose Japan does not build motorcycles for the US, we just get SOME of what the rest of the world gets.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #90
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
On my first bike, a KLR650, I quickly learned that such a pig was too heavy to be fun/not incredibly exhausting on the tighter trails I like to frequent. I also have never liked having to choose between gearing for highway or offroad. So for a few years I had a longing for a XR350R or DR350SE (the 6 speeds), since it seemed like either would be better than the KLR on both the highway and offroad minus maybe some 2-up and load capacity.

But then the WR250R came out I'm still saving for one, but I'm going to keep my Gen-1 KLR around still. Given that the Gen 2's basically took a dump on KLR heritage (not that that's saying much) IMO, the Gen-1 KLR650 itself is a "great dual sport bike that disappeared"...at least the aftermarket for them is still prime.

Myfuture_yourdebt screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 03:47 PM
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote