ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #241
Deadly99
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwild View Post
dunegate!!!

__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #242
oldgringo
Jacked it all
 
oldgringo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Lima/Quito
Oddometer: 143
My photos from today SS1



__________________
http://r1150rt.smugmug.com
oldgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #243
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast
 
Dread Pendragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Oddometer: 2,193
Text from the youtube page explaining the video:
"Harry made up some stickers before he left for Dakar reading 'I Love Mini Drivers because they are girls'. He and Bruce were putting them some of the Dakar cars - Robby love it so much he put one on his rally car! Aussie fun at it's best!"


__________________
- Mike -
WABDR
Mesquite Area Ride
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #244
soloyosh
Dad and husband
 
soloyosh's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: LHC, AZ
Oddometer: 5,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
anyone buy the the robby gordon t shirt? do you get a t shirt and sweatshirt?
One or the other. Look on the drop down for sizes and you will see tees and sweats.
__________________
2007 Aprilia RXV 5.5
soloyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #245
Tork
Pinsetter
 
Tork's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Duvall, WA.
Oddometer: 3,478
stage 2, RG thru wp3
__________________
:ymca
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #246
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 3,801
Lost an additional 19 min to leaders today.........now 49min back. Kinda going in the wrong direction. He's far enough back that once he gets his shit together, the race leaders won't try to catch him and he very well win a bunch of stages and still not podium.
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #247
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 1,066
shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
anyone buy the the robby gordon t shirt? do you get a t shirt and sweatshirt?
bought one a few weeks ago and have not received my shirt yet
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #248
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com
 
Carlos M's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Portugal, Europe
Oddometer: 2,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Not so... didn't Ari Vatanen get stung for outside assistance when he drowned the Race toureg in Portugal (2006?). a spectator vehicle towed out the car... and (IIRC) he finished the stage on a strap behind one of the VW team T5 service trucks... .
Troy,

I can't believe you forgot my 15 seconds of fame!

It was day two, 2007, and it was yours truly who got Vatanen out of waterlock by opening one of the glow plugs. They had not the tools - All the intercooler tubing was full of water, Ari was hasty to restart the car and he waterlocked again, I took out the glow plug again and disconnected the admission tubing. He restarted without air filter (and intercooler) but finished the special on his own steam. It was a special Special Stage in the South of Portugal, very very tight, trucks were not doing this special so Vatanen was without assistance and had a boat to catch for Africa .

I have a pic somewhere and a few seconds of footage from the episode - I must dig that before I loose it.

IIRC he was towed out of the stream by another competitor (no penalty involved in that) but he indeed got some hours penalty on that stage (I never knew if it was because we helped him out). A few days later his Touareg burnt to pieces (not my fault - my friends all teased me because of that) . Ari Vatanen got my phone number through VW Portugal and we called me to personlly thank me - imagine my face when I got that phone call
__________________
Carlos M.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #249
Flood
F5lood.
 
Flood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Troy,

I can't believe you forgot my 15 seconds of fame!

It was day two, 2007, and it was yours truly who got Vatanen out of waterlock by opening one of the glow plugs. They had not the tools - All the intercooler tubing was full of water, Ari was hasty to restart the car and he waterlocked again, I took out the glow plug again and disconnected the admission tubing. He restarted without air filter (and intercooler) but finished the special on his own steam. It was a special Special Stage in the South of Portugal, very very tight, trucks were not doing this special so Vatanen was without assistance and had a boat to catch for Africa .

I have a pic somewhere and a few seconds of footage from the episode - I must dig that before I loose it.

IIRC he was towed out of the stream by another competitor (no penalty involved in that) but he indeed got some hours penalty on that stage (I never knew if it was because we helped him out). A few days later his Touareg burnt to pieces (not my fault - my friends all teased me because of that) . Ari Vatanen got my phone number through VW Portugal and we called me to personlly thank me - imagine my face when I got that phone call
Damn, 6 years already? I remember that. "That guy in Vatanen's engine bay! That was one of our Nomads!"
__________________
TEAM F5

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #250
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera
 
Dekatria's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Oddometer: 936
Unless a miracle happens, Gordon is out for the top brass. After just two stages, that's a feat.
__________________
The Hekla Project - Riding to Hell and back (Scandinavia 2014 - Iceland 2015)
Thousands of miles, two wheels, and thirteen reasons.
Follow my project at www.thirteenreasons.nl or on Facebook!
Dekatria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #251
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 3,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Passing that many cars today would account for time lost today I'd think? It's a long race, everybody has trouble at some point and Robby got his out of the way yesterday.
He did not start 130 something, he was given the Lucky Dog pass and started 33rd. Following other's tracks can actually make the navigation simpler and allow for a faster pace. We'll have to wait to see who he blames for today loss.
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #252
zenjen
Go Outside
 
zenjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Quartz Mtn. West end of the Wichitas
Oddometer: 2,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
he was given the Lucky Dog pass and started 33rd.
SB knows his audience.
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #253
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
GI_JO_NATHAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Middle GA.....Aparently....
Oddometer: 2,014
It's crazy that they get so close to each other, as big as the desert is.
__________________
Jonathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #254
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace
 
homerj's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: 742 Evergreen Terrace
Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Lost an additional 19 min to leaders today.........now 49min back. Kinda going in the wrong direction. He's far enough back that once he gets his shit together, the race leaders won't try to catch him and he very well win a bunch of stages and still not podium.
When the terrain suits the Gordon Buggy it really suits it. He took 27 minutes out of the Mini's on a single stage last year? I wouldn't write him off the podium just yet. If he can keep his head on straight, stops the bleeding on this terrain that doesn't suit his car, and drops the hammer on terrain that does, he might still be up on the podium.

Remember, the Buglys are on their first Dakar run ever, all sorts of weird mechanical stuff could befall one or both. And they've already said their goal this year is to simply finish.

All of that said, when Robbie gets up against the ropes he tends to push really hard trying to get back in the lead and usually breaks his car. Hopefully he's learned over the last few years to temper that instinct a bit on a two week rally.
__________________
09 570 Rallye Beast
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…"-Hunter S. Thompson
homerj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #255
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack
 
Dano 407's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: The orange groves, CA
Oddometer: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post
, when Robbie gets up against the ropes he tends to push really hard trying to get back in the lead and usually breaks his car. Hopefully he's learned over the last few years to temper that instinct a bit on a two week rally.

+1

I would not call Day 2 of the Dakar the end of the line just yet.
__________________
Shufflin' through the parking lot of an invisible 7-11
Dano 407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014