ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #676
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,577
1200hp 200mph Giordini!!! He loves messing with the French!
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #677
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
So by classing it is as a prototype or Proto they can run one off designs not based on current models ?
If the HST is built to run in the FIA (T3) 2WD category, that is right it does not have to have a chassis of a specific make/current model.

The SMG buggies, the Jeffries "Bugglies" of last year... Schlesser buggies etc. run in T3.

The FIA (T1) 4wd vehicle - like the Sth African Toyotas, Ford Rangers, the MINI's are required to conform to (modification/dimension allowances) the bodywork of a homologated production vehicle. That being said, the bodies are replicated in carbon fibre, the space frame tube chassis forms a symbiotic relationship to the shell (and in fact take most of the load bearing stress), and the suspension systems are anything but production bits... but they look (kinda) like the roadgoing version.

RG says in the interview that he is running FIA category (2wd)... which I take to mean T3... not the OPEN (SCORE eligible) class that he has prior with the Hummer... Will be interesting to see what goes on at Scrutineering in January... expect to see a lot of looking, point , scratching of heads and referal to the FIA tech rule book...

"What ees all 'zis f5uss about...?"
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #678
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Maybe someone can chime in here and let there views known about/if this new rig which is based kinda on the SST vehicles is likely to be any better on the WRC style stages that the Dakar seems to be running nowdays?

I'd like to see his vehicle without the restrictor though, one hell of a run down that sand dune (or up it) or along the beach!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #679
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,068
It's so funny how he does that with a straight face! Gordinii

With a "front" engine and solid axle, it will sit with a "California Squat". I'm sure he'll be able to get the car to rotate through the corners better than the Hummmmmmmbuggy. OK so the ST stands for Super Truck, still can't figure out the H......
Old 11-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #680
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post

With a "front" engine and solid axle, it will sit with a "California Squat". I'm sure he'll be able to get the car to rotate through the corners better than the Hummmmmmmbuggy. OK so the ST stands for Super Truck, still can't figure out the H......
"H"is Super Truck?!?!?!
Old 11-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #681
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
1200hp 200mph Giordini!!! He loves messing with the French!
Quote:
I thought it was pretty funny.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #682
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
I thought it was pretty funny.
Get ready for another classic RRRubby Gordon lawsuit. Renault already owns the name Gordini.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordini
Old 11-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #683
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Wink Don't worry, the lawyers will find a loophole

Quote:
Get ready for another classic RRRubby Gordon lawsuit. Renault already owns the name Gordini.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordini
No probs... it's spelt Gordeenie... you know, rhymes with weenie...

Old 11-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #684
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,459
seems to handle jumps and sweepers good but where are they making room for the navigator...

Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #685
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Tech Inspection - the ongoing hunt for redneck superchargers and 2WD loopholes...

^^^ see, here's the interesting thing (for those that are even a bit ofay with the FIA technical regs)

In his French close up press conf5erence at the ASO/Dakar soireé last week, the Great Gordeenie states that he will be running in the FIA T1 category (same class as the MINI's and Hilux's) but in a 2WD configuration.... NOT in the T3/SCORE eligible category (as he has prevuiously run the Hummer).

Now if you also picked up the confusion in the interviewers voice (RG had to clarify it for her a couple of times) - this is because traditionally the T1 class (Modified Terrain vehicles) is the bastion of 4wd/SUV type cars. Some thing interestin to note is that the T1 spec's now make mention of 2WD vehicles.

So that Rg will now be running a FIA spec/2WD configuration in a head to head against the likes of Peterhansel and de Villiers is interesting... but for the techno geeks out there, it means three key issues;

Body work; must be derived from and identifiable as an homolgated production unit.

Engine; must be from an FIA homologated (Group N Rally, GT Racing or T1 Terrain) vehicle of minimum 2500 production units.

Wheel diameter limitations and wheel travel restrictions.

So; for all the "clued in" folk over at race dezert etc. who have been speculating over the specification of the new HST Dakar racer, this means some (not quiote SCORE racing) norms that must be taken into consideration.

A: The bodywork is not (as per FIA reg) to be merely a glass "flopper" f body panels over a tube frame chassis... the original bulkheads, door pillars/arches etc. (although may be replicated in carbon fiber) are contingent to the "homologated" chassis. So to be eligible for T1 one cannot merely put a "glass body" of a 8for example Chevy Silverado) over a tube frame - a la' trophy truck. it's a bit more complicated than so.

B: Engine homologated by FIA. as I understand it the corvette LS3 thru / generation engines are FIA GT racing homolgated, and so it seem a power plant of US V8 configuration is a given... which restrictor is applicable is somewhere between 37,5 mm and 39 mm - depending on which way up you hold the rule book.

C. Wheels and suspension... to run in FIA T1 (2WD) the vehicle is limited to maximum 940mm wheel diameter - same diameter/patter front/rear AND only the one type tread pattern/design approved for the whole rally (ie. no mud pattern, gravel pattern and desert pattern variations as once was permitted). as far as wheel travel goes... 300 mm open to closed - including bumpstop - is all she wrote.

So on the merit of item C. alone, it seems (to me) extremely unlikely that the eventual "Dakar Gordeenie" will display anything like the wheeltravel/tyre dimension and aerial capabilities of the SST test mule that is depicted in the video above.

What RG has done to adress the bodywork/chassis and engine homologation aspects to be eligible for the T1 (2WD) category will be interesting...?

I suspect that the "Gordeenie" will be one of the most eagerly anticipated, closely watched and thoroughly scrutinized /(by both FIA and the rival manufacturers R&D) of all the vehicles at tech inspection for dakar this year.

Man this guy is good for keeping the interest up... always some controversy in the wings. I'm sure he has some trick up his sleeve.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:17 AM   #686
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Man this guy is good for keeping the interest up... always some controversy in the wings. I'm sure he has some trick up his sleeve.
It would be nice if he came up with a ''modified'' Mini
Old 11-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #687
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
It would be nice if he came up with a ''modified'' Mini
Does anyone have the sticker in mind, which one Robby attached on his Hummer,- i don't remember the words ....
Old 11-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #688
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally View Post
Does anyone have the sticker in mind, which one Robby attached on his Hummer,- i don't remember the words ....

Old 11-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #689
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
it seems (to me) extremely unlikely that the eventual "Dakar Gordeenie" will display anything like the wheeltravel/tyre dimension and aerial capabilities of the SST test mule
Sounds like these regs have been changed..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSkilton
This is not true. The FIA rules were amended several years ago. He can run 37" tires. 2wd have always been able to run unlimited wheel travel, so no change there.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #690
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
Sounds like these regs have been changed..........
Yep... Darren is right.

The FIA T1 2WD wheel diameter is allowed max 940 mm (37" = 939.8 mm), though I was under the impression that some SCORE TT's and Class 1 buggies run bigger? I was not sure what spec the SST was... but 37 inch is legit for dakar 2014... The tyres do have to be standar production models though, from the manufacturer catalogue.

As far as suspension travel goes... the still limit the 4WD's in T1 to 300 mm (banjo rear) and 250 mm independant... but (previos) mention of 2WD limitation (as was before in T3 2WD is now gone.

As far as the bodywork is concerned, the reference (as was previously the case) for T1 bodywork to respect the homologated series production vehicle* (T2) is no longer enforced.

(Previously even the Mini's, Toyota's, Volkswagens etc. had to respect a certain +/- tolerance with respect to wheel arches, body panels etc, and the standard vehicle) but no longer it seems?

So in T1 2WD now, as long as RG´s (presumeably?) corvette motor im the HST Goreenie complies to the FIA GT homologation (LS7 generation?) papers; he can build an unlimited wheel travel, 37" tyre V8 "mini trophy truck" with a front/mid engine, 6 speed sequential, banjo rear end (or independant if he likes?) Dakar special to take the fight to the X-raid crew and Saffer Tojo's.

If he can't win with this formula... he should give up!

It all smacks of Schlesser anno 1999/2000 and all the technical 2WD "concessions" he lobbied for over a number of years to be "competitive" with the Mitsubishi T1's. Finally with the bag of tricks, RG should be able to build a Dakar winner.

The only down side to the formula... there is only ONE HST Gordeenie car in the race (against the flotilla of MINI's and Toyota's).

The plus side to the formula... there is only ONE HST Gordeenie car in the race... RG can focus on winning (no customer/rental racer in the works to worry about) and take the david vs Goliath (in Miniskirts ) fight to the opposition!

Man this guy is good for keeping the interest up...