Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #16
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue

Oddometer: 690
It was an epic TAT day: started in Moab, lunch at Ray's in Green River, lesson in picking up a 500 lb moto repeatedly in Black Dragon, sand washes thru Cat Canyon, under the I-80 bridge and up the steep climb out of Independence (?) Canyon, finished the day in Richfield, UT. I slept well that night.
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
vfabrizzi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
KTM Steering Damper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Dave View Post
Stock seat isn't bad. A little soft perhaps, but on the TAT, you'll spend plenty of time standing, and when you want to sit, you'll be too tired to be particular. I have a Renazco now, and it is the shizzle. But, you'd better place your order now for June 2013. I'd be more concerned about planning your gas stops than I would the stock seat. And, add a steering damper. You'll thank me in the deep sand washes and the long sandy sections. I made the conscious decision to not install one, and I regreted it. The 990R is a big ol' girl, and in the sand, you really need to keep the speed up and stay on top. As a result, like any bike, she'll want to dance. Difference is she ain't an XR650R or a KTM530 dancin'. She's a 500 lb monster that is a real handful when she gets a mind of her own. You still have to stay atop the situation, but at least a damper will reduce the effort somewhat, and it will definitely take the violent snaps out of the equation. You'll be able to dial it back completely when you want to pick your way thru the rock gardens such as Black Dragon Canyon in Utah - a beautiful, horrid place that started out fun and ultimately kicked my ass.
This is vey helpful. I have a YZ 450 and riding the sand in Florida kicks my ass. I can't imagine what its like riding the 990 on sand for extended periods. Ill definetly take you up on your advice.
vfabrizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #18
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,164
Heidenau

Heidenau K60 is about the best all round tire for the 950. Check with Craig at CJ Designs.
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
tmckenz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Tkc + 908

Like many before, I have to say the stock tires suck offroad. I've been running TKC front and 908 rear for a couple of years now and really like that combo. I've ridden the TAT from TN to Salida UT with that setup and didn't have any issues with any part of the trail. Black Dragon wash was probably the most challenging section, but even that wasn't too bad. I've been getting about 4000 miles out of the 908 and 8000 on the TKC.
tmckenz is offline   Reply With Quote