Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
daver828 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
BMW Nav, costs what?

Hello folks, new member, fairly new rider. Purchased a 2010 (new to me) BMW R1200 GS a few months ago. Getting used to the ride, the seat, the experience, etc. Had the desire for a BMW all my life and was talked into the GS after a lengthy looking. No regrets.

Anyway, now I've gotten to the stage where I would like to install a GPS unit on the bike and really know almost nothing about where to start. I checked with a friend who owns a dealership who suggested the BMW nav system, but at a cost of almost $1000 installed. Can't do that, geez.

About the only thing I know about a GPS is that my wife bought one for our car that simply plugs into the cigarette lighter and some obnoxious woman argues with me about the best way to go, lol. So the address is typed into the unit and hit GO and off we go. Simple. What I'm reading in some of these posts are from some of you who are far far more techno savvy than me, obviously. I would love to find a motorcycle GPS 101, 102 ... Lessons on how to install, use, download maps into etc etc. Any such info like "GPS for Dummies"?

Thanks,
David
daver828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,519
There are several questions that need to be ask.

1. On road or off?

On road is primarily routes. Routes are connected waypoints. It can be as simple as a start and destination. The gps finds the best route to get you there and provides turn by turn directions.. You tell it what you want, shortest distance, fastest, etc. avoid freeways or highways? Etc some of the new ones try to find curvy roads. Waypoints are intermediate places you select along the way. Routes follow existing roads.

Off road is tracks. A string of gps coordinates. Latitude / logitude. Does not follow existing roads. Of course with a topo map you can specify points along a trail. You can also record where you are as you ride.

2. Do you want to preplan routes or tracks?

3. Exchange either with others?

Some gps are good at routes, some tracks. The expensive ones can do both, like the BMW NAV.

There are cheaper ones that can do the basics. There are others here that know those better.

The NAV V is $700. Tire pressure monitors another $135' mounting hardware for GS, $135.

I'll let the others chime in.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,637
There are some older units (2610) that come up for $100 or so. Great units that do alot but are out dated. 550's are about 375 or so and are solid units that have alot to offer. The NAV system is nice but a bit steep epically if you are just starting out with GPS units. You can get alot of different units for much cheaper.....good luck with your search.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:00 AM   #4
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver828 View Post
Hello folks, new member, fairly new rider. Purchased a 2010 (new to me) BMW R1200 GS a few months ago. Getting used to the ride, the seat, the experience, etc. Had the desire for a BMW all my life and was talked into the GS after a lengthy looking. No regrets.

Anyway, now I've gotten to the stage where I would like to install a GPS unit on the bike and really know almost nothing about where to start. I checked with a friend who owns a dealership who suggested the BMW nav system, but at a cost of almost $1000 installed. Can't do that, geez.

About the only thing I know about a GPS is that my wife bought one for our car that simply plugs into the cigarette lighter and some obnoxious woman argues with me about the best way to go, lol. So the address is typed into the unit and hit GO and off we go. Simple. What I'm reading in some of these posts are from some of you who are far far more techno savvy than me, obviously. I would love to find a motorcycle GPS 101, 102 ... Lessons on how to install, use, download maps into etc etc. Any such info like "GPS for Dummies"?

Thanks,
David
is there a smartphone in your pocket ?
yes = there is an app for that.
no = ok, craigslist one and try out osmand, locus pro, oruxmaps, backcountrynavigator, google maps, motionx, dualsportmaps, maverick, sygic, or one of those things and enjoy riding with a purpose : to argue with the gps !
Old 05-17-2014, 05:10 AM   #5
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,404
"Is there a smartphone in your pocket ? "

+++1

Get a map app for your phone (I have Maverick and Google on mine) and learn the basic in's and out's of gps navigation for very little cash. Move on to a mounted unit after you really decide where, and how, you will use it.
Baby steps and by all means read up, a good start here,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote