User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Maliwal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Yamaha 'XJ 650' Maxim Rebuild Thread!

Hey folks, I've got a certified bad-ass looking Maxim sitting in my garage now, belonging to my buddy Mike. He picked it up for $300 and the work begins!

It's got so much power! Approximately 1 Man-Power!
At least we got it up the driveway.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

So we tinkered and whatnot, investigated this strange shaft-drive thingy it's got, played with the seized rear brake (the drum decided it was going to be fused to the pads, whether we liked it or not) but got it worked out eventually.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

So first note: It's missing #1 cylinder's spark plug. Hard to see, but take a look anyhow.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Off come the carbs for their later cleaning.

Photobucket

Getting the head off was a lot more involved than either of us anticipated. Timing chain have to be broken, and for lack of the proper tool, we used a punch and hammer to pop a link apart. New timing chain is in order. Joy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Minus one cam...

Photobucket

Photobucket

And a gap arises!

Photobucket

We quickly discovered that the piston was seized solid from a disgusting amount of rust.

Photobucket

There are solutions for rusted things...

Photobucket

And the result of some hammering:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

So a couple hours, a wire brush or two, and one anal probe later...

Photobucket

We have a freshly cleaned piston and cylinder. Unfortunately the cylinder is pitted pretty badly, and the piston rings are gone. A new sleeve and rings are in order, pending discovery of shop to preform said work cheaply.

Photobucket

On to the next project: The carbs. We tore all four apart in record time, cleaned them, inspected every nook and cranny we could find, and slapped 'em back together. The diaphragms looked surprisingly good.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Three of them looked good, but #1 was nasty.

Photobucket

And something tells me an intake isn't supposed to look like this...

Photobucket

But through it all, our mascots remained as energetic as we were.

Photobucket

So next weekend we see about cracking the crank-case and taking a peek into the belly of the beast.

Stay tuned

- Maliwal
Maliwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
gunnabuild1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Any questions that come up can be answered here http://xjbikes.com/Forums.html
Good luck with it,Xj's are great bikes! well worth the effort.
Course I'm biased.
gunnabuild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 575
FYI an engine from an XJ750 will directly fit a XJ650.

+100 on the XJ Bikes site. Go to the Modifications section to see all sorts of custom projects.

The hard part of the carbs (for 1st timers) is the idle circuit due to the really tiny interior passages (starting with the pressed-in jet at the base of the float bowl).
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
bman2440
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question?

I am also rebuilding an 81 XJ 650 and my cylinder bolts look similar to yours in the fact the sleeves are cracked and not all there. I was wondering what the purpose of the sleeves are and what are you guys going to do. The answers I have received so far are that they are for alignment. In order to have the sleeves you've got to buy the whole bolt at $20 a piece.
bman2440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman2440 View Post
I am also rebuilding an 81 XJ 650 and my cylinder bolts look similar to yours in the fact the sleeves are cracked and not all there. I was wondering what the purpose of the sleeves are and what are you guys going to do. The answers I have received so far are that they are for alignment. In order to have the sleeves you've got to buy the whole bolt at $20 a piece.
The "sleeves" are there to damp vibration and reduce noise coming out of the top end. The ones at the rear of the engine that are dedicated oil paths to the head don't have them. You don't need the sleeves, so don't worry about it.

The OP needs to get a copy of the XJ CDs.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Maliwal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Very unfortunately we hit a few obstacles with the XJ

First off, funds dried up [i.e. Mike bought an XR600, lol]. Then we investigated a little more and it turns out we can't find a cylinder sleeve for that rusted one; it's pretty well shot and needs to be replaced. No such luck. He's just about given up on the thing since his funds have been directed towards other things (Jeep, XR, DR, my KZ440, etc). Alas, it's likely going to be sold.
Maliwal is offline   Reply With Quote