User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
dennism OP
dennism

Oddometer: 146
Kenmore oven timer/control

Here's one asking for guidance, or help to get it fixed. NOT motorcycle related.

I have a Kenmore gas stove from 1994. The stove hasn't been used much and is in almost perfect condition.

It has an electronic control unit which shows the time, and controls the heat and cooking time etc., of the oven. We had a thunderstorm not long ago, and the unit suddenly stopped operation altogether, beeped constantly and showed a code"F1" in its read-out.

So I took a picture of the connections for later, and took the unit out of the stove, intending to fix or replace it.

My first attempt was to Sears Parts online. No longer available.

Then I called Sears Parts and the guy said, "Yep, that part's been superseded, but we have a replacement."
I set up the buy, and waited. Next day came an email saying "Sorry, your order has been cancelled, we don't have them any more'

So I called 'em back, got passed around for a while, and ended up where I started.

On to Google for advice.

To make a long story short, the unit is no longer available, I found a repair service, they recognised it and I shipped it to them.

Then came an email from there saying, " Can't fix it, sorry, go to ebay. Oh, and if you pay us $22 we'll ship it back"

Fair enough,did that, have it back. A sticker says " beyond repair, bad micro", and it does look as if someone has opened it up.

Kenmore part # is WB12K0006

It's marked with GE-14500-GE / 100-396-028 and date 17-93 also Robertshaw Controls Co. on the circuit board.

I'm presuming "micro" means micro chip.

Can anyone here refer me to somewhere it can be fixed?

I'm watching for one on ebay too I really don't want to buy a new stove........ Thanks for reading.
dennism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Try these guys

http://www.remanufacturedapplianceparts.com/

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,150
While this may not be the case for your particular circumstance, I suspect that unfortunately it may be-

A lot of electronic control circuits for all sorts of things, from radios to cars, will use proprietary chips of one sort or another. Many of those chips are manufactured on just one run, and then no more are made. So when something is sold out, it's sold out forever.

I suspect this is the issue with your control. Since you have paid for a diagnosis and also have paid to get the part returned, you could try calling the place that diagnosed it and ask to talk with the tech who looked at it and see if he has any suggestions. Otherwise about the only option would be to find out exactly which models of stoves had this control, and search craigslist and if you have any recycling yards that will let you wander you can look for a possible donor unit.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,642
I recently had an issue with my Maytag washing machine and ended up having to buy a new control board. The place that had the best price is Point & Click Appliance Repair. http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/

I just ran your part # and it is listed as NLA. I tried the repair place for my board only to be told they don't work on them. I miss the old days where appliances would last 20 years or better. Looks like your going to be buying a new stove.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
dennism OP
dennism

Thanks for the advice guys. I've spent a little time today searching, and not found anything so far. I'll keep looking..

I'm going to send it out to one more repair place just in case. I'm thinking they may have a "parts" unit or two to scavenge from, although changing a complete chip is a kinda specialized task, at least it would be for me!

Any other ideas will be most welcome.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
PM sent.
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Why not just convert it to manual control?
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,249
ooh - ooh I might know this one.... there is a wire strip connector that goes into the timer... like with a dozen wires bonded into the strip. pull the strip out of the connector and cut about 1/16" off the end of the strip and re-install it.

I did this on a friends oven & it worked.... it was something I got off the net on a F(something, believe it to be F1) fault.... and the brand of oven was I think Sears, but anyway, it has worked for about 3 years now.

oops.... just re-read your post... too late
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,072
Tried here?

http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
mendoje
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Found this on eBay, not a replacement part, rather an outfit offering repair service:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-WB12K0006...item20cd78fe2b
Old 12-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Smoke Eater 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Awesome site.

http://www.repairclinic.com/
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,007
Have you looked here?:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ke...rol-board.html

Often these appliance sites need model and serial numbers of the appliance, then the part name. The part numbers (such as the GE-14500-GE / 100-396-028) are not in their data base. BTW, that appears to be a GE made range sold under the Kenmore brand name. Good luck!

The kenmore site says the RFR-CCS part supersedes the wb12k0006 part number, and you have to call a technician - whatever that means.

Here are a couple more links with the timer:

http://www.appliancetimers.com/index...e&Model=WB12K6

http://www.a-1appliance.com/product/GHPWB12K6

Stan_R80/7 screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 01:23 PM Reason: added links
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
dennism OP
dennism

Thanks again guys, I'll browse those suggestions this weekend.

yukonjon - I sent pics to your gmail address.

Saw your PM after this. Bummer! thanks anyway.

Why don't you float it out on ebay...will help somebody, and buy you some beer!

dennism screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 01:14 PM
Old 12-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I'd love to put it on eBay but I don't know what it fits. The numbers on it don't match up to any stoves. The stoves part number isn't actually on the part which doesn't make sense but that's on the manufacturer. Ill try back tracing some of the other numbers again with hopes I find something.
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,038
An electronics control board is pretty much the most expensive part of an appliance - kinda like the engine of a motorcycle. Given that yours is 18 years old, do you really want to spend $100 - $300+++ on a part for a machine that can be replaced for not a whole lot more than that?

What's going to happen when the gas control valve goes out? Spend another day or two or three and plenty of cash chasing down hard to find parts?

I vote for joining the 21st century. You can find a good deal (or a free deal) on a newer unit on Craiglist... for less than the price of the part you're looking for.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote