User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
FlyingFinn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Gasoline resistant grease?

I have an older flat slide carburetor that's getting little long in the tooth by now. The thing that seems to be most difficult (or expensive) to fix is the worn slide it has.

The slide is not snug in its gloves anymore and lets some air leak past it.
That makes the idle little erratic and tuning of it even more difficult.

Replacement slide would be ridiculously expensive and besides, there's some wear in the grooves of the cab body too so a new slide a alone is not a 100% fix either.

Anyhow.... Applying grease to the slide groves helps a ton.
The grease seals most of the air leak, holds the slide from rattling around and obviously also lubricates the groves to minimize any further wear.

But the grease gets washed away over time by the fuel.

Is anyone aware of a grease that would be mostly gasoline resistant?

--
Mikko
FlyingFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,207
Well, the going logic is that like dissolves like. Grease and gasoline both being primarily chains of hydrogen and carbon are pretty darn similar.

So, I would probably have to say a lithium soap, or a silicone-based grease. But, what I would do is look up a lubricant-compatibility chart on google.

http://tinyurl.com/dclojp

Might also be something worth calling a grease guru company like dupont or 3m about.
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
jmalkames
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I had a bike with the 39fcr's and mine were already jetted and after about 10k miles the throttle started to hang up. Unfortunatly I pulled the carbs off and went back to stock carbs. The few things i thought of were where the wheels on the slides ride could you put a feeler gauge that was cut down skinny but still long and epoxy them in the carb body thus holding the slide off the body letting it not drag the carb body but once again roll on the rollers? OR posibly take the slides to a flat plate with a piece of sandpaper and remove some material so it will let the rollers do their job?

OR call sudco and ask them, but they will probably just try to sell you a new one.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
FlyingFinn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalkames
OR call sudco and ask them, but they will probably just try to sell you a new one.
Yeah, I checked that route already. New slide >$80 and that still leaves me with worn carb body...

I have some high temp Dupont Krytox at home and I'm kind of hopeful it might at least last longer than normal oil based greases. But it's not cheap stuff to be dumping into the carb.

Good idea about the feeler gauges! If everything other fails I'll start working on that kind of fix.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,705
Metal filled epoxy to build up the worn area. Peramatex has a few there is a product out there, pretty obscure. Oh yeah, JB weld. Probably what it's best for. Build up the worn areas and then adjust the profile with a file or something.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak
Metal filled epoxy to build up the worn area. Peramatex has a few there is a product out there, pretty obscure. Oh yeah, JB weld. Probably what it's best for. Build up the worn areas and then adjust the profile with a file or something.
+1

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,516
DuPont Krytox is stable in hydrocarbons (including gasoline), the only downside is the price.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
FlyingFinn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Krytox it is. And if that fails then strips from a feeler gauage.

--
Mikko
Old 03-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
Jon-Lars
Jon-Lars

Oddometer: 541
Pure silicon grease.

Dow Corning Compound 5 heatsink grease, for example.

Gasoline will not dissolve it. I use it in my petcock.
Jon-Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,820
Time to bring this thread back to the forefront.

Anyone ever try EZ Turn?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ezturnlube.php

“MIL-G-6032D, MILITARY SPECIFICATION: GREASE, PLUG VALVE, GASOLINE AND OIL RESISTANT, NATO CODE NUMBER G-363, METRIC (29 JUN 1984) [S/S BY SAE-AMS-G-6032]., This specification covers the requirements for two types of gasoline and oil resistant grease for lubrication of tapered plug valves, gaskets, and for other applications in fuel and oil systems. The Type I grease is identified by NATO Symbol G-363 (see 6.2).” http://geometroforum.com/topic/4178329/1/

I, too, am contemplating using something in my bike's carb to protect the needle and the slide.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,390
that aero grease works in fuel situations like fuel selectors. there is another product called Fuel Lube but it is probably too sticky. what I used to do on old worn out Amals is copper plate to build back the missing metal, than nickle plate over the top of that for a wear surface. plating materials used to be pretty cheap... like $20 a quart for the solution. I use a bit fabric (like the finger out of a cloth glove) on a copper pipe & power it with a battery charger.

try Caswell.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote