Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #91
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
+1. This.

And of course the "cost to society" argument could be made equally well against motorcycling at all. Or skydiving, horseback riding, rock climbing, every other activity that carries any extra risk
parents that send snot nosed kids to school when they are sick are a higher cost to society than all of the above combined
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #92
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,480
Not buying the whole "your on a public road paid for by tax payers, its privilege argument". We all pay taxes and registration to use the roads. Wearing a helmet or not only effects the rider so the government should leave that to the riders choice. As has been stated cost to society is negligible at best and there are many other activities that cause far more.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #93
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,605
Well as my Dad was fond of saying to me in my youth.. "Son, If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough!"
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #94
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendidtutional View Post
If there was a practical way to ban fatty foods (or just prevent people from eating them, maybe tax them?) I would be for it. I would actually be for a tax on fast food and places that serve food that provides little nutritional value and has high fat, sugar, and salt content. This would be a way to offset the costs of healthcare for these people.

Social engineering authoritarian bullshit. How apropos that you live in DC, arguably the area with the least understanding of this country. This is relevant to helmet laws, how? Except that further legislation restricting individual choice follows your agenda.

Back on topic: I grew up on Oahu, and helmets were mandatory for years. My dad and I agreed that if the law were repealed, we would probably not wear helmets in the valley we lived in. But if we went out of the valley, to downtown or on the freeway, we would wear them.
Unfortunately, by the time the law was repealed, I had already been T-boned by a car, and had my helmet (and my left leg) seriously damaged. Had I not had the helmet on, I'd be dead from hitting the curb headfirst.
My dad wore a helmet all the time until he quit riding, and I still do, regardless of the law. If other people want to go lidless, fine by me.
The 'cost to society' argument has not been borne out statistically in any study I've seen.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #95
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,223
But if you are on your way to to a gay marriage they look the other way. (or so I'm told)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Helmetless, in WA? No. without insurance, yes.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #96
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 997
We should all be required to wear one of these by law:

I'm thinking of getting one to intimidate taxi drivers :)

If anyone is interested you can see more here:

http://www.rekairbrush.com/site/mobi...LMETS.php#2866

Craneguy screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 01:34 PM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #97
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
When we, as a nation, allow our rights to be defined by "what it might cost the government", we will cease to be a republic governed by the rule of law, as originally framed in the Constitution.
RogerWilco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #98
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,223
Wake up! It has already happened.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #99
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
^^^ I'm actually quite aware of this. I was being........gentlemanly.
RogerWilco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #100
bridwell52
Banned

Oddometer: 143
Its an endless debate. I dont give a fuck what you wear for protection. If the state mandates it, tough shit move some where else if you dont like it . If its legal for no helmet and you die at a 10 mph collision, to fucking bad, you had your choice.
Does any body have any crack to smoke while i dont wear my lid. Who gives a fuck?
bridwell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #101
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridwell52 View Post
Its an endless debate. I dont give a fuck what you wear for protection. If the state mandates it, tough shit move some where else if you dont like it . If its legal for no helmet and you die at a 10 mph collision, to fucking bad, you had your choice.
Does any body have any crack to smoke while i dont wear my lid. Who gives a fuck?
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #102
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
When we, as a nation, allow our rights to be defined by "what it might cost the government", we will cease to be a republic governed by the rule of law, as originally framed in the Constitution.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (222,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #103
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
The problem is you idiots expect the government and society to pay for your motorcycling/driving/being-a-fatass/leaving-the-house/leaving-the-couch/leaving-the-womb medical costs.
Life is rough. Nobody gets through it alive.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #104
Anywhereness OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch of Entropy
The guys who think they'll never be in an accident: You're delusional. Seriously. Go play golf in a lighting storm, drive your car across train tracks when the lights are blinking, run around the house with scissors in your hand, be sure to never use safety goggles around power tools, eat raw chicken uncooked like a man, be sure not to bother grounding your house wiring, blow your fiery mane (or beard) of hair while in the tub and while you're at it in bubbly bathtub bliss consider even more fun and creative ways to become a member of the Darwin Hall of Fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Fair rant. I have the anti-rant but mine is much shorter.
Why do you think it should be your job (don't mean you specifically but metaphorically) to decide what protective gear another person wears while they perform a given task? You compared riding without a helmet to other activities (see blue above) There are no laws regulating apparel for those things.
Firstly, I don't view a helmet as "apparel". It's a safety device, similar to say a seat belt, ABS, shatter resistant windshields or headphones when hipsters are around.

I illustrated those things specially because while you're at liberty to attempt them as frequently and often as you'd like, signage, police or middle managers be damned, people generally elect not to because it's common knowledge they are the fast track to test your mortality.* Are you telling me that because you don't want to wear a helmet, that you think everyone should have the RIGHT to cross railroad tracks while the bells are blaring and lights blinking, without any sort of penalty? I don't care what they could possibly be wearing; it's not the thing to do

To be fair, I would be for helmetless states, if the following conditions were met in substance:
-- Novices, with less than 3 years of experience must wear a helmet. Registration sticker denotes this.
-- Mandatory safety classes for those wishing to be lid-free. License designation denotes this. (re: conceal carry permits in most states)
-- In an accident, the "other party" insurance only covers the hospital ride, no matter who is at fault. You're on your own after that.
-- You must claim that you ride a motorcycle without a helmet on your personal health insurance, with a premium increase to match. I don't know the cost increase, only the bean counters buried in the basement of some big insurance provider could divine this knowledge. There is already a mechanism for "high risk" activities.
-- If you promise to wear a helmet and protective gear, you will receive a discount on your health/driving insurance. Penalty enforcement (be creative) if you're caught cheating it.
-- If you have children that are legal dependents and receive any sort of government benefit program, or do not have complete health insurance and life insurance, helmet use is mandatory without exclusion. (You can go die, but they need to live)
-- If you're above 70, you may elect not to wear a helmet at all times. (Social Security needs a break, otherwise I'm never see any of the money I put in )

* Yes I did some joking too in the original list, nitpicking that is pointless.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #105
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
"Right" to ride without a helmet? Dunno. I haven't seen that amendment to the constitution. Ditto seatbelts / driving, or any of the other conditions, requirements, or rules one is expected to meet or follow to operate any vehicle on a public roadway.
Those things not enumerated in The Constitution are left to The States.

We don't have federal driver's licenses. We don't have federal helmet laws. We don't have federal seat belt laws.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote