Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #46
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Delay the sale and buy her the book "twist of the wrist".
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #47
Hookapelli OP
Adventure-Junkie

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
Delay the sale and buy her the book "twist of the wrist".
Did that years ago... watched the DVD, too. While reviewing the GoPro- she knew exactly what she did wrong.

Panic was the deal closer.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #48
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 681
I'm sure a crash at 40 mph is pretty traumatizing for anyone, not to mention getting banged up in the process. Having to ride a smashed bike right afterwards and then being made to watch the video of the accident while getting critiqued is really just salt in the wound. I'd drop bringing up this incident to her for a while. I'm sure in two weeks or so she'll be less freaked out about it and more receptive to keeping her bike and your riding suggestions.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #49
Hookapelli OP
Adventure-Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
I'm sure a crash at 40 mph is pretty traumatizing for anyone, not to mention getting banged up in the process. Having to ride a smashed bike right afterwards and then being made to watch the video of the accident while getting critiqued is really just salt in the wound. I'd drop bringing up this incident to her for a while. I'm sure in two weeks or so she'll be less freaked out about it and more receptive to keeping her bike and your riding suggestions.
You make me sound like a dick...
Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #50
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,662
Insurance

Try progressive. Your premiums seem way to high especially if Geico is FFY in the process. Be sure to claim her helmet, jacket and all incidentals also. Sounds like you've been a good mentor to her riding. Only thing better would be more miles under her belt and more often.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #51
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
Sierra...I assure you that there are MANY women out there riding their own that ride because they love it. I have been riding since I was 7. Grew up riding dirt and at 17 switched to a street bike. When hubby and I got married, we were both riding but gave of bikes to start a family with the plan being that when we got our boys outta the house, we'd get bikes again. In the interum, we had scooters and Trail 90's and 4-wheelers to play with.

Fast forward and my boys are teenagers but not outta the house and I GOTTA have a street bike again. My hubby WAS NOT HAPPY. I went out and bought a Suzuki VL800 and went traveling with friends. I'd call the hubby from the road and tell him how much fun we were having and how I wished he was with us. Only took 2 years of me doing that and he broke down and bought his bike and now we ride everywhere together. I ride my own because I always have and ride for the same reasons you guys do...I absolutely LOVE riding. It's my escape, my stress reliever, my fun.

In early October while on a group trip (8 bikes) to the Hill Country, my hubby was riding right in front of me and went down. It freaked me out but I am a very good rider and I kept my bike under control and stopped while missing the gravel patch he had hit when the road surface ended unexpectedly. Anywho...he broke ribs, his leg in 4 places but was otherwise ok thanks to gear and a helmet. He's been riding 40 years and this was his first down. So I know it's scary to watch your SO go down right in front of you. Good for you and her for getting back on the bike and riding. I hope she gets back on and rides again after the bike is fixed. If anything, this down shoulda taught her that 1) Gear works so wear it and 2) that a crash is survivable AND no big injuries! That'd make me feel better about riding! Good Luck!
Thats awesome Queenie that you love riding like you do I'm all for the ladies getting out there and enjoying the wonderful sport of riding just like the guys.....I'm glad you understand what draws us guys to it, its an awesome hobby and sanity retaining recreation no matter who you are
In my 35 years of riding tho I have to say lady riders like you are few and far between....when I was younger I tried to get the women in my life to ride their own bikes with me...never happened, they just didn't want to. As I got older I started realizing that for the most part the ladies I've come across....girlfriends, riding buddies wives/girlfriends/sisters, my wife etc would all rather be a passenger than ride solo...barring a few exceptions like you.
I love seeing a lady enjoying riding the way I do.....I just like to see them do it because THEY want to, not to make somebody else happy, which often just leads to disaster.......that was my only point

And it sounds like the OP's wife is like you, a lady who enjoys the ride for herself
Old 12-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #52
Hookapelli OP
Adventure-Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I just like to see them do it because THEY want to, not to make somebody else happy, which often just leads to disaster.......that was my only point

And it sounds like the OP's wife is like you, a lady who enjoys the ride for herself
Mrs. Infidel does what she wants... weather it makes me happy or not

One of the reasons I love her so much is the fact she's not up my ass all the time asking, "Should I _________ ? What do you think?" I hate chicks like that...
Old 12-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #53
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
We usually switch off- I was afraid that if I was in front she would try to keep up.
They should know enough not to ride faster than they feel comfortable, it's a more natural self preservation instinct .

OTOH sometimes they don't realize they are going too fast for a condition they are approaching, and THAT can be a problem. This can be a problem for someone who usually drives cars as a bike requires more pre-corner planning. A car you can start to overcook and then see it late and slam on the brakes. Even if the car spins it doesn't fall down; and usually you can "just" crank the steering more, nail the brakes and let the stability control keep it in the road..

My wife went too fast into a pavement corner on one of the few times she went first. It was a paved local road only a few miles from our house so what could be the harm? She got very exuberant on the straights and gentle curves. Then we came up to a hard right. She went in WAY too fast, and there wasn't a thing I could do about it at that point. Luckily there was nobody coming since she ran way wide into the far side of the oncoming lane. She would have been a hood ornament had anyone been coming.

In her case she is still too much of a noob to lead, especially when she knows there is a faster rider behind her. Your partner is a more experienced rider so the case isn't as clear cut.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #54
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
read it gain and practice until it is a natural reaction,I thought because i had ridden since I was 12be but long ago now -some 20 years, that it would be my reaction until i entered into multiple increasing radius corners, am glad I bought the Buell instead of the sportster ,my last option was to push the bars and let the bike follow,was just that close to the tops of those orange trees . I practice solo every year now before my wife gets on the back as instinct is not something to trust but as they say in flying practice makes permenant.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #55
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
You forgot the youtube link.
I don't understand...still no video...

Quote:

Hey man... dirt drops count!!!!
Only if you're on a GSA.
They're pretty drama free (and for sure don't count) on my XT225.

Seriously though, glad she's ok.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #56
NEredhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Glad to hear your wife is ok. Hopefully she'll continue to ride whether it's with you or on her own. Being able to ride on her own gives her the best of both worlds...solo or two-up.

I've biffed it on my bike a couple of times. Thankfully it's been going slow and usually traveling on gravel. Gravel and I do not get along well. It's as much a mindset now as anything.

My ex-boyfriend wasn't the most sympathetic type when I'd biff it. He'd help me get the bike picked up, make
sure I wasn't damaged too much, and off we'd go again. I'd ride my own pace, but I'd ride. Sometimes I'd be
more than just a tad po'd that I wasn't getting the sympathy I really wanted, but maybe it helped to make me get
back on the bike by him not being so sympathetic. The incidents weren't terrible, but were nerve-wracking
nonetheless.

I've learned to ride for me and not how anybody else wants. I can ride all day/weekend and then some. I do, however, know my limits and that's fine. I'll just meet you at the next gas stop or where-ever. I have no problem with that.

I do most of my riding solo now. Thankfully I've had no major incidents by myself.

I can understand why some would choose not to ride again, but it would take a lot for me not to ride anymore.
I enjoy it too much and am looking forward to more riding and longer trips on my bike.
NEredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #57
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
You make me sound like a dick...
Nah, it's clear you care a lot about her. I just think it might be best to let her cool off a bit before offering riding advice. Otherwise, if she's still nervous about it, it may make her feel overwhelmed, hence the talk about selling her bike. I know you mean well.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #58
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Oddly enough (and not directly on topic), my wife, who has never ridden regularly enough to become proficient, said she learned more riding one day as a passenger on my big bike, than on a half dozen recent "practice rides" on her own bike.

Riding her own bike helped to prime her to be aware of what was going on, and riding with me (I'm more of a dirt rider, I am not an expert pavement rider and don't push the bike to the limits like I can on dirt) showed her more what the possibilites were.

She was amazed that it took "so little movement" to turn the bike at speed on twisty pavement. Just a little counter pressure.

She asked me did I "use all the gears" when I demo'd a high performace start from a stoplight. She wasn't aware that it was possible to shift five times in about 5 seconds, she can spend nearly 5 seconds on one shift and as a result loose the momentum she's trying to build up..

She was amazed at the smoooth acceleration on a demo of a gentle takeoff, said she couldn't even tell when I shifted. (See above about slow shifting and losing momentum.)

And there was something else about "I can't believe you can turn so close" when going around 'square' street corners in town. Just because I didn't drift into the oncoming lane.

And yes, she passed MSF just fine, has ridden numerous different small bikes, and ridden on dirt. MSF is just sooo limited. All on smooth flat clean pavement, at parking ot speeds. it is good for what it is, they can only do so much in the time alloted, but it sure DOESN'T make someone "ready to ride".
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #59
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
I.........................

After reviewing the GoPro- I discovered she attempted to slow down as she entered the curve (which was wet) momentarily locked up the rear break and instead of counter steering and using throttle control- she ignored all the training and went right to Survival Reaction 2-5
Trying not to be a dick (and that's hard for me), we went through the video frame-by-frame and went over everything she did wrong (to include removing her feet from the pegs ). This was an attempt to show her that she COULD have recovered and hopefully (unless she decides to sell the bike) she'll be able to react better if it happens again. ...........
Good luck with that, when the $hit hits the fan, you react, not think, so unless you are lucky, or have had a lot of experience in dirt or pushing the limits, talking about what to do is useless.
So, IMHO, to analyze the events AFTER the rear end broke loose, is futile.

The REAL education should concentrate on why she started to brake that hard in the first place, that is the key, AVOIDING the Oh $hit moments.

Quote:
I

.....................But watching the most important person in the world to you go down in front of you is the worst feeling ever.
Try riding with your wife and kids, I have to say their skills helped them avoid trouble and I have never watched any of them crash. The wife due to her short stature has had couple of "legs to short" tip overs at stops, but she is smart enough to just step off the bike and let it fall, so I don't worry too much when it happens.

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #60
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 754
Talking dirt counts...

Quote:

Hey man... dirt drops count!!!!
I count my dirt drops as long as I was moving and the drop had the potential to brake me or the bike in some way... if not then it was like dropping it in a parking lot and I don't count them...
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote