Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #61
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post

Hey man... dirt drops count!!!!

NO WAY!!! What happens in the dirt stays in the dirt.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #62
Infidel OP
Adventure-Junkie

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
I don't understand...still no video...
Sorry man.. I promised her I wouldn't. This one will have to stay hidden away with the other "special" videos.

Oh, and- No matter how good life is, It never ends well.
Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #63
rckt grl
Sportbike Addict

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Honestly I think its a rare lady that truly wants to ride solo herself....I just don't think its something that thrills most ladies.
I think that's where you would be mistaken. I have over 150,000 street miles on many bikes that I have been riding since I was 22. My current bike (GSX-R750) just recently turned over 50k this fall. I thouroughly enjoy riding solo and rarely ride pillion. I do understand where you're coming from however, as most of the rides that I am on or lead, I am usually the only woman. As Queenie stated, there are alot of us out there that truly ride for the enjoyment and fulfillment of it. Being that it's mid-December here in MN, I am going thru my normal yearly seasonal PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)

To the OP; I truly hope that your wife rides again either on her own or with you and get her confidence back. Perhaps a riding course where she could get build her confidence up would be helpful. Glad to hear that it wasn't worse than it was.
rckt grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #64
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckt grl View Post
I think that's where you would be mistaken. I have over 150,000 street miles on many bikes that I have been riding since I was 22. [...]
Using an anecdotic instance, yours moreover, to prove a point (or trying to prove someone wrong) especially when the guy said "most" and "rare" in his sentence isn't what I'd call a good argumentation.

But I too get where you're coming from and the rest of your post is more in line with the reality.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #65
Infidel OP
Adventure-Junkie

Oddometer: 2,085
Bike's totaled..they're cutting me a check.

It was a cool bike.

Oh, and- No matter how good life is, It never ends well.
Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #66
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Bike's totaled..they're cutting me a check.

It was a cool bike.
Ah man...sorry. Thought about buying it back and fixing it??? How you're wife taking that news?
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #67
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,009
Sucks about the bike. :(

I do get a bit uppity about guys saying that women don't like to ride by themselves. I do a fair amount of riding with a partner, but today, I went out myself. The weather was too nice (read warm) to not go out, and the bike has been hibernating for two weeks, so why would I wait for him to get free of what he was doing? I wanted to ride, not hang out. Going out alone means that I ride whereever I want to ride, no discussion of routes or anything. Today, I had three-plus happy hours of looping around some new twisties and finding new ways to get to my favorite local stretch of highway. I did text him later and tell him I missed him on the ride, but kind of not really. I love riding my own ride ALONE.

I came home very happy.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #68
msgvb

Oddometer: 272
Jesus. I just read almost every post in this entire thread and it's interesting the mix of responses.

Personally, I don't know that I would ever want my girlfriend/wife to ride solo. I've been on two wheels of all sorts for a long time, and I can fully appreciate the successful navigation of every unexpected pucker moment I've had, be it luck, training, experience, or whatever. Any one of them could have gone horribly wrong were any one minor detail slightly different. You can replay this crap in your head over and over again, as you should until you feel settled with it, because I think it adds to the knowledge/experience base. I also really appreciate when people share their crash experiences, because, again, more for the personal knowledge/experience base.

Anyway, back to the wife/girlfriend riding bit. I really gotta hand it to you guys who can "let" your wives/girlfriends ride and not be too worked up about it. I would be too worried the whole time, I think, especially if it's someone who just started riding. there are exceptions, I think. I think athletic people can pick stuff up faster. and, obviously, those who've been riding since youth clearly have an advantage. at any rate, yeah, proper gear, training, common sense, attitude, confidence, and alertness are huge in safe, fun rides.

lots of great feedback here.

anyway, glad to hear this one ended relatively benignly. bruised ego and shaken confidence may take a little longer to heal.

annnnnnnd... LLLIKE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Sucks about the bike. :(

I do get a bit uppity about guys saying that women don't like to ride by themselves. I do a fair amount of riding with a partner, but today, I went out myself. The weather was too nice (read warm) to not go out, and the bike has been hibernating for two weeks, so why would I wait for him to get free of what he was doing? I wanted to ride, not hang out. Going out alone means that I ride whereever I want to ride, no discussion of routes or anything. Today, I had three-plus happy hours of looping around some new twisties and finding new ways to get to my favorite local stretch of highway. I did text him later and tell him I missed him on the ride, but kind of not really. I love riding my own ride ALONE.

I came home very happy.

msgvb screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 05:53 AM
msgvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #69
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

msg - you're heading toward cognitive dissonance there... On one hand, you're saying that women (or at least wives and GFs) shouldn't ride alöne because it scares you, and then you "like" the fact that I ride alone. I'm some guy's wife and the mom of two kids.

Is it just because I'm not your wife or GF that it's easier to like that I do what you would not want your own wife or GF to do?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:20 AM   #70
msgvb

if you'll note, I mentioned that I think there are exceptions, and commented about riding experience. from what I read, it sounded like you've got a lot of experience. but actually, back checking, it looks like I got you mixed up with another girl in this thread, haha, sorry. you all look the same to me

but anyway, all the same, mostly, I was liking this part specifically quoted below, because, as a rider, this is exactly the feeling I enjoy most about riding, and it's what I identified with in your post at the time I read it after reading a lot of posts about worry for female partners. and yeah, I just thought it was cool that you really seem to 'get it' and you're a girl. and yeah, since you're not my girlfriend/wife, I don't have anything vested in you. is it bad to appreciate and take notice of women riders who seem to have a healthy engagement in the spirit of riding that has us all hooked? I feel that it's less than common to see that, at least for me. So, this I like, yes, and this I would be more inclined to support were this type of rider close to me, as opposed to one of the women the other guys seem to be alluding to here who seem to ride just to be with their SO, not particularly for themselves, and who, furthermore, may not particularly have the ability to do so safely. let's face it, while everyone has the freedom to ride, some people just probably shouldn't, male and female alike. not that they can't learn, but to do so safely requires a certain amount of aptitude, coordination, and a responsible approach, and again, this goes for males and females alike. it's just that the subject of this post is a female crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Going out alone means that I ride whereever I want to ride, no discussion of routes or anything. Today, I had three-plus happy hours of looping around some new twisties and finding new ways to get to my favorite local stretch of highway. I did text him later and tell him I missed him on the ride, but kind of not really. I love riding my own ride ALONE.

I came home very happy.
you don't want for anyone to crash a bike, generally, but I don't particularly have anything vested in other guys' wives/girlfriends, so while I have my opinions, I'm not one to tell someone else what they should/shouldn't be doing, and I don't, typically.

re: the cognitive dissonance - perhaps, but I think it's more just that I can appreciate both sides of this discussion. not sure which I'd press for if my girlfriend/wife wanted to ride. I'd try to approach it openly, but if she were clumsy and accident prone, then probably no, I couldn't support that. as a legitimate safety concern. (and I'm not implying that the OP's wife is one of these types.) if my wife/girlfriend were athletic and/or had experience riding and weren't an adrenaline junkie, then I'd feel better, but even if she were a great rider, I would still worry.

does that clarify?

msgvb screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 07:23 AM
Old 12-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #71
NEredhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I have always done most of my riding by myself. When I learned to ride, my son who was in the USMC at the time, thought I was nuts. I asked him to look at his profession (of which I am immensely proud) and we could discuss this further. My son is very proud his Mom rides, and I've had more than one conversation with his buddies while they've been deployed when they find out I ride.

I personally know very few women who ride and even fewer of those women who will go off and ride without their husband. I didn't have that option, so it was me alone or not to ride. When I was dating someone, we rode together some of the time, did a few big trips together, but I still rode solo a lot. It was either that or sit back and wait for him to decide he wanted to ride. No thanks. I ride my own for a reason.

Yes, I've biffed it in gravel a couple of times, but that's just inexperience in gravel. I know I still have a lot to learn and I WANT TO LEARN everything I can to make me the best rider I possibly can be. I know my limits. I know when I can push those limits and when I'd better back off. I have no desire to be a statistic in tomorrow's paper. There isn't one person who rides who can't become a better rider in some aspect and that makes no difference whether you're on the track, the street, or getting dirty.

It surprises people when I pull into a gas stop and take off my helmet and it's a woman riding the bike. I've had many positive comments about my bike and the fact that I'm out there alone. There have also, sadly enough, been a couple negative comments about women riding. Oh well. They don't know how much fun we can be or how much fun we're having. Their loss, and I'm guessing they don't ride anyway so it's a mute point.

There are times I would enjoy having someone to ride with, but I'm perfectly willing to and capable of taking off for a day or two or ??? by myself.

I appreciate having people concerned about my safety and what not when I'm riding, but whether I'm riding my bike or if I'd have been out horseback riding by myself...alone is alone and things happen. It really doesn't matter whether you're a man or a woman.
NEredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #72
msgvb

I agree, and can fully relate to this. I think this is the kind of thinking all rolled up into safety awareness, and in the responsibility we all take on when we head out riding.

Katherine's response got me thinking this morning. I don't know if I'd ever not feel more concern for women riders than for the guys I ride with. not sure why or to what extent. this reminds me somewhat of discussions I've heard for women in combat situations alongside men. some men have voiced that they would feel distracted or preoccupied with the womens' safety. I'm sure a good bit of it is just upbringing, and being somewhat old fashioned and protective.

you have to admit - women are a minority in the riding community. so, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEredhead View Post
Yes, I've biffed it in gravel a couple of times, but that's just inexperience in gravel. I know I still have a lot to learn and I WANT TO LEARN everything I can to make me the best rider I possibly can be. I know my limits. I know when I can push those limits and when I'd better back off. I have no desire to be a statistic in tomorrow's paper. There isn't one person who rides who can't become a better rider in some aspect and that makes no difference whether you're on the track, the street, or getting dirty.

I appreciate having people concerned about my safety and what not when I'm riding, but whether I'm riding my bike or if I'd have been out horseback riding by myself...alone is alone and things happen. It really doesn't matter whether you're a man or a woman.

msgvb screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 07:16 AM
Old 12-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #73
msgvb

okay, here's an example.

one of my best friends, Kate. she's always hurting herself doing stupid stuff, so she's a little bit clumsy at times, but she's also athletic and coordinated when she's engaged.

she rides pillion with her boyfriend, also a friend of mine, and they love and thoroughly enjoy that riding relationship. he's a great rider, but is reckless at times and has had more than his share of crashes, though none with her on the bike. she wants a bike of her own.

I support her getting a bike because it's what she wants, and she wants to start off reasonably with a Ninja 250 or 300, and I think she can handle it if she approaches it properly. her boyfriend backs her, too. but yeah, I'm concerned for her safety.

what do you think about that situation?

msgvb screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 07:32 AM
Old 12-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #74
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

I don't think I'm the best person to judge who is going to be a good rider or not. I focus on being the best rider I can be. I leave the determination of who is a good rider or not up to the professional instructors I know.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #75
msgvb

that's a cop out.

judgement is a strong word, and I'm not talking about determining who gets to ride and who doesn't. this discussion, my part of it anyway, is for grappling with the concern for those close to you.