Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
lightfox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Take a look at Dainese TRQ-Tour boots. I have them for road, not dirt, but it may be what you're looking for. It has the ankle protection you want without being bulky. They're comfortable to walk if you have socks that are as high as the boot (the labels at shin-height are scratchy).

The bad news is they're $330 and over your budget by $30. They were worth it for me because they have the right combination of comfort, protection, and looks that I didn't find in any other boot.
lightfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #17
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,122
Went through everybody's posts, made a list and checked it twice.

I was able to try on the tech3s at CycleGear - comfortable, but I'm not crazy about the buckle system - and my local shop can order the Sidi Crossfire TAs and the Gaener (?) 10 and 12s in my size (they only carry down to a men's 9). Both of those look really nice, I like that everything on those boots is replaceable and you can have them resoled. The price! Argh!

I'm going to do some calling around and try to hunt down some of the others for try ons, I don't want to buy a type of boot I've never worn through the mail.

thanks all! Getting closer!

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #18
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,034
I've broken my ankle in a rock garden hill climb by snagging a toe in a street boot with velcro/zipper. Never again. Next was Sidi Discovery. They are a heavy 3 buckle boot and I recco. Then I bought Gaerne Balance Oiled. Probably the most comfy ever, but not sure about protection. Still, it is a trials boot and them boys like rocks. 3 buckles tall.

MX boots are probably the most protection. Even the cheap ones. 4 buckles tall and lots of stiffness.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #19
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I've broken my ankle in a rock garden hill climb by snagging a toe in a street boot with velcro/zipper. Never again. Next was Sidi Discovery. They are a heavy 3 buckle boot and I recco. Then I bought Gaerne Balance Oiled. Probably the most comfy ever, but not sure about protection. Still, it is a trials boot and them boys like rocks. 3 buckles tall.

MX boots are probably the most protection. Even the cheap ones. 4 buckles tall and lots of stiffness.
I was just looking at the Sidi Discoverys on revzilla and was wondering if anybody liked them. They seem like a good balance of on/off road, protection and cost. I looked at some other Sidis today and really liked the buckle system.
Why didn't you buy another pair of the Discoverys?

Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #20
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
I was just looking at the Sidi Discoverys on revzilla and was wondering if anybody liked them. They seem like a good balance of on/off road, protection and cost. I looked at some other Sidis today and really liked the buckle system.
Why didn't you buy another pair of the Discoverys?
Well, I still have the Disco's, but they are with a bike I keep out west. I always admired the Gaerne and they are waterproof, so I bought a pair for riding my new KTM here in New England. But after a couple dual sport rides I find they are pretty soft. They have a better buckle system than Sidi, though.

I apply a silicon liquid to my Disco's before long trips for waterproofing. It works well enough for a couple weeks at a time. They are fairly water resistant anyway, but days on end of rain will eventually soak through.

The Disco is actually an ATV boot originally (bought mine in 2004). It has a softer sole, which makes it easier to walk in. Mine originally had a steel toe piece screwed into the sole, but I removed it because I can only tippy toe on my bikes and needed traction in parking lots and such. If I was buying again, I would get a new pair of Sidi.

My son wears the top line Sidi Vortice road race boots. He's on his second pair. My other son wears their Crossfire MX boots for desert racing out west. Sidi is probably the very best boot mfg there is.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #21
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
+1 on SIDI crossfire (TA, not SRS), doesn't feel like ski boots because of the flexible ancle joint. And only used them a few times so guess will be even better. On some of the others hinged boots like Forma and Gaerne, the tip culs up while crossfire is almost straight, this together with low toe box (no inner sock) makes getting under gear lever easier.

Guess to some extent a trade off between comfort/walking and safety. I don't walk anything in these boots just want better feel, especially for gear shifting, this has been a major issue for me on other mx boots.

I realize price is an issue...but I would not save on boots, good boots is an investement in all respects and could make the difference. That new kitchen can wait
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #22
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
I bought 2 pairs of boots this year, a SIDI crossfire, and a gr=earne balance oiled.
Bought the SIDI initially thinking it would be the perfect do it all boot, trail ride on my husaberg, race the 2 stroke, and dual sport on my 950.

Its awesome as a race boot, pretty damn good for spirited trail riding, and good on the 950. Instantly pretty comfortable, no break in time required, very high quality and VERY protective! They leak like a sieve, sqeak when i walk, and are moderatly comfortable for walking in.
Then i bought a pair of Gearne balanced oils. Instantly super comfortable! No break in time at all, Very nicely made, waterproof, and good enough looking that i can wear them with jeans and not look too racy. Great for walking standing in, not a problem to ride, walk, hike, stand in for 10-12 hours. They have nowhere near the protection of the Sidi. I wouldnt dream of racing in them, and will most likely never really trail ride in them. But for dual sporting on the 950, they are awesome!
if you keep looking at all the mail order sites, closeout deals pop up on really nice gear pretty often, and pretty cheap.

I guess what i have realized, is that all boots are a compromise in one way or another, its just a matter of picking the compromise that works better for you. Good luck!
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #23
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
I bought 2 pairs of boots this year, a SIDI crossfire, and a gr=earne balance oiled.
Bought the SIDI initially thinking it would be the perfect do it all boot, trail ride on my husaberg, race the 2 stroke, and dual sport on my 950.

Its awesome as a race boot, pretty damn good for spirited trail riding, and good on the 950. Instantly pretty comfortable, no break in time required, very high quality and VERY protective! They leak like a sieve, sqeak when i walk, and are moderatly comfortable for walking in.
Then i bought a pair of Gearne balanced oils. Instantly super comfortable! No break in time at all, Very nicely made, waterproof, and good enough looking that i can wear them with jeans and not look too racy. Great for walking standing in, not a problem to ride, walk, hike, stand in for 10-12 hours. They have nowhere near the protection of the Sidi. I wouldnt dream of racing in them, and will most likely never really trail ride in them. But for dual sporting on the 950, they are awesome!
if you keep looking at all the mail order sites, closeout deals pop up on really nice gear pretty often, and pretty cheap.

I guess what i have realized, is that all boots are a compromise in one way or another, its just a matter of picking the compromise that works better for you. Good luck!
I can probably only afford one boot right now - sounds like the crossfires worked fine dual sporting? I'm mostly worried about their comfort on the slab getting out to dirt (I plan on doing touring on the xt250, so there will probably be some 200 mile days on the pavement), first long ride will be going to the Death Valley rally, about 300 miles from my house.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #24
biensur22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
first long ride will be going to the Death Valley rally, about 300 miles from my house.
that's ambitious! I don't even plan on riding my 640 up to DV from san diego.

That said, since you know you can only get one boot and want the best mix of protection and comfort, why don't you have cycle gear order you both the crossfires and the gaernes sg10. at least i'd go with the 10s based on your price range - and see which one you like better? I did that when i bought my gaerne balance oiled boots, just returned the pair i didn't want. They were thrilled to have the business and I was thrilled i didn't have to deal with shipping costs and such. also may want to ask you local shops if they'd be willing to do the same.

Thing is, I know that i have a gaerne foot, alpine stars don't fit in the slightest, and even sidis aren't wide enough for me. But just about every gaerne i've tried on has fit like a glove. Different companies build their boots around different molds (lasts) and the gaerne last just fits me better.

biensur22 screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 10:22 AM Reason: correc the excessive use of parentheticals
biensur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #25
CO/WV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
What I read was "I tried this, I tried that, I have 10 pair of boots, blah blah blah. Get the crossfires
One and done.
Like them on my dirt bike. Like them on my 1200gs
CO/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #26
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by biensur22 View Post
that's ambitious! I don't even plan on riding my 640 up to DV from san diego.

That said, since you know you can only get one boot and want the best mix of protection and comfort, why don't you have cycle gear order you both the crossfires and the gaernes sg10. at least i'd go with the 10s based on your price range - and see which one you like better? I did that when i bought my gaerne balance oiled boots, just returned the pair i didn't want. They were thrilled to have the business and I was thrilled i didn't have to deal with shipping costs and such. also may want to ask you local shops if they'd be willing to do the same.

Thing is, I know that i have a gaerne foot, alpine stars don't fit in the slightest, and even sidis aren't wide enough for me. But just about every gaerne i've tried on has fit like a glove. Different companies build their boots around different molds (lasts) and the gaerne last just fits me better.
My local shop will order in both for me - I'm just trying to crack open the wallet! I'd also like to look at the Discoverys - see if they can get a pair of those in too. What's a pain is that you have to pay and then if it doesn't work out they do a return....I need to see if cycle gear will order them in without the prepay. That's a lot of cash! Have to do 1 at a time.

I did a 4200 mile trip on my rebel 250 this summer and had a great time, but pales in comparison to the kid who rode from Thousand Oaks, CA to New York on a 80 cc scooter.....his ride is posted somewhere on the site.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #27
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO/WV View Post
What I read was "I tried this, I tried that, I have 10 pair of boots, blah blah blah. Get the crossfires
One and done.
Like them on my dirt bike. Like them on my 1200gs
That's good to hear that you like them on your gs

Old 12-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #28
biensur22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
I need to see if cycle gear will order them in without the prepay. That's a lot of cash!
i'll save you the suspense - they won't.
biensur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #29
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin View Post
+1 on SIDI crossfire (TA, not SRS), doesn't feel like ski boots because of the flexible ancle joint. And only used them a few times so guess will be even better. On some of the others hinged boots like Forma and Gaerne, the tip culs up while crossfire is almost straight, this together with low toe box (no inner sock) makes getting under gear lever easier.

Guess to some extent a trade off between comfort/walking and safety. I don't walk anything in these boots just want better feel, especially for gear shifting, this has been a major issue for me on other mx boots.

I realize price is an issue...but I would not save on boots, good boots is an investement in all respects and could make the difference. That new kitchen can wait
After reading everybody's responses I realize that what I really want is something I can ride slab and dirt in and the boots will be comfortable for long slab rides. Not worried about walking around any more.

I'm home sick today - thank goodness for forum! and all of the great advice for a noob!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #30
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by biensur22 View Post
i'll save you the suspense - they won't.
argh. Guess I'll start with the crossfires and go from there.