ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dave in Wi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
Oddometer: 1,913
There is a cave near where I live called RIchardson Cave. It used to be located in a county park, in fact I have an old atlas that shows the park. Now the land appears to be overgrown, and newer residential development has surrounded it. It no longer shows up on maps as a park. I know the county used to discourage people from entering the cave because it would flood in heavy rain. I have driven past the location a few times, someday I should stop and talk to one of the neighbors and see what the deal is. I suspect it is still county property, just unmarked to keep people out.
__________________
Dave in WI
2002 ZRX1200R
1975 XL100
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #17
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,350
Cool stuff.
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #18
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten
 
Hobbes950's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Nevada City
Oddometer: 3,481
Lava Beds National Monument in NorCal, a pretty amazing place. There are over 22 developed caves and over 700 discovered caves. Several are easily accessible. Nothing too dangerous or exciting (on our trip) but the history of the place is interesting. The history of the Modoc_War is a good read while visiting. Over 30 separate lava flows created lava beds and tubes that were well known by the tribes who lived here. Walking around the beds and through the tubes, imagining an existence here was a awe inspiring experience.



__________________
When in doubt, take it as a compliment.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #19
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA
 
TheRoss's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 313












These pictures are from caves in the Mexican state of San Luis Potosi, about a days drive south of Matamoros. Some of the world's deepest pits are in the area, along with many other vertical caves. This is how I spent my vacation time and money before I discovered motorcycle camping and long distance riding.

TheRoss screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 12:30 PM
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
Hastelloy-X
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoss View Post











These pictures are from caves in the Mexican state of San Luis Potosi, about a days drive south of Matamoros. Some of the world's deepest pits are in the area, along with many other vertical caves. This is how I spent my vacation time and money before I discovered motorcycle camping and long distance riding.
This guy looks to have a carbide lamp light; how do you know whether the caves have safe air to breath or risk of methane explosion?

Did you carry a gas meter with to every cave or is that unknown part; the thrill?
Hastelloy-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #21
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA
 
TheRoss's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastelloy-X View Post
This guy looks to have a carbide lamp light; how do you know whether the caves have safe air to breath or risk of methane explosion?

Did you carry a gas meter with to every cave or is that unknown part; the thrill?
That is a carbide lamp. The caves in this area are so massive we just never worried about unsafe gasses. We were also in known caves... sometimes pushing new passages, but doing so in familiar caves. In smaller tighter caves we would use electric lamps so we didn't mark the ceiling with soot.

I have heard about caves with gas issues, and knew cavers who carried lighters with them, but never encountered them personally.
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #22
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer
 
hugemoth's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Bend, Oregon summer, Snowbird in winter
Oddometer: 2,614
Central Oregon where I live is all volcanos and lava so we have many lava tubes. Some are more than a mile long and have ceilings over 50' tall in places. Nothing as interesting as limestone caverns with all the interesting shapes but still fun to explore. Some are partially ice filled year round so they're a good place to visit on a hot summer day.

Several years ago I discovered a large lava tube while flying my ultralight in a remote area. No road or trail going to it and it's not on any map. We later rode the trail bikes as close as we could get then hiked about a mile to the opening. It was about a 30' diameter hole in the top of a large lava tube with no obvious way in unless you had climbing gear. My daughter managed to find another entrance so we in to explore. About 3/4 mile back in we found a guy's name and a date of 1928 written on a wall with soot from a burned stick. No signs of anyone being there for a long long time.

Another known lava tube in the general area has big piles of obsidian flakes where the Indians sat to make arrow heads. Just inside the entrance were two sets of fresh cougar tracks, one large and one small, heading in, so we didn't go in very far.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #23
Range Motorsport OP
Junk collector
 
Range Motorsport's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Da UP Eh!
Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
Central Oregon where I live is all volcanos and lava so we have many lava tubes. Some are more than a mile long and have ceilings over 50' tall in places. Nothing as interesting as limestone caverns with all the interesting shapes but still fun to explore. Some are partially ice filled year round so they're a good place to visit on a hot summer day.

Several years ago I discovered a large lava tube while flying my ultralight in a remote area. No road or trail going to it and it's not on any map. We later rode the trail bikes as close as we could get then hiked about a mile to the opening. It was about a 30' diameter hole in the top of a large lava tube with no obvious way in unless you had climbing gear. My daughter managed to find another entrance so we in to explore. About 3/4 mile back in we found a guy's name and a date of 1928 written on a wall with soot from a burned stick. No signs of anyone being there for a long long time.

Another known lava tube in the general area has big piles of obsidian flakes where the Indians sat to make arrow heads. Just inside the entrance were two sets of fresh cougar tracks, one large and one small, heading in, so we didn't go in very far.
We occasionally encounter wildlife when exploring, raccoons, mice, weasels, porcupines, and bats. No bears or cougars yet.





__________________
2007 KTM Superduke
SNL Will Ferrell Yoga, google it.
www.adventuremine.com
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #24
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer
 
68deluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Phoenix AZ
Oddometer: 12,618
In the 70's I was stationed at Richmond KY and did a little caving. There was this "dry" cave we went into a few times, the last time I was standing in this huge open area and heard running water. One of the other guys said I was standing over a stream, he did not know how thick the floor was or how big the opening below. That was the last time I went into a cave.
__________________
2010 KTM 990ADV
2004 KTM 250SX
68deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
Range Motorsport OP
Junk collector
 
Range Motorsport's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Da UP Eh!
Oddometer: 1,652
Here I am about to take off into the unknown all alone. This level had been underwater for 100+ years and we had been running a diesel pump for a month to get it down to waist deep water.



The water is usually 40 degrees so brief swims require a wetsuit.
__________________
2007 KTM Superduke
SNL Will Ferrell Yoga, google it.
www.adventuremine.com
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #26
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: somerset nj
Oddometer: 477
Please post more I love this stuff!Always wanted to be a spelunker just never did it or found the right circle of people to do it with i guess.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #27
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable
 
rapidoxidationman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: The Teton Rockies
Oddometer: 8,126
It ain't caving if you ain't getting wet climbing an icy waterfall


or rapelling down a waterfall...




There's something to be said for swimming inside a mountain in the middle of winter...
__________________
Quote:
I know I'm feeling badly when I have no interest in speeding
Patrick
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #28
rawdog
Studly Adventurer
 
rawdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 802
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #29
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
I may have a pic or 2 to contribute to this thread
Same here, let me dig them up tonight.



This was all I had in my Photobucket. Luray Caverns, from about 15 years and 100 pounds ago.

I spent many weekends in abandond mines outside of Las Vegas in the 90's. Great times, and interesting stuff. I'll dig up some shots later.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #30
Range Motorsport OP
Junk collector
 
Range Motorsport's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Da UP Eh!
Oddometer: 1,652
A couple years ago we had an ice flow in one of the shafts and I got to rappel down it. It had been melting for a few months and still looked like this, it was the weekend after 4th of July.


looking up to the top, angle is about 45 degrees.


With the lights off


ice crampons were necessary
__________________
2007 KTM Superduke
SNL Will Ferrell Yoga, google it.
www.adventuremine.com
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014