User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Wallachian Spikes OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
KTM quads?

I was flipping through the channels & there was nothing on as usual. I ended up stopping on a GNCC Quad race. The first thing I noticed was there weren't ANY KTM quads being raced by the pros & I didn't notice one anywhere amung the lappers either.

This got me thinking.... I don't think I've ever seen a KTM quad "out in the wild" either. Are KTMs quads not up to the standard of their dirt bikes? Is KTM having trouble selling them? Has anyone ridden a KTM quad? Whats the deal with KTM quads?
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,313
Maybe they are just a bit too road oriented

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
I was flipping through the channels & there was nothing on as usual. I ended up stopping on a GNCC Quad race. The first thing I noticed was there weren't ANY KTM quads being raced by the pros & I didn't notice one anywhere amung the lappers either.

This got me thinking.... I don't think I've ever seen a KTM quad "out in the wild" either. Are KTMs quads not up to the standard of their dirt bikes? Is KTM having trouble selling them? Has anyone ridden a KTM quad? Whats the deal with KTM quads?
Who cares? The big 4, Can Am, Polaris, Arctic Cat all provide excellent choices, and I'd guess that the utility ATVs are the biggest segment of the market by far. KTM really does not understand 'utility'...
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Polaris uses (or at least did use) KTM engines in their racing quads.
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
Wallachian Spikes OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
Who cares? The big 4, Can Am, Polaris, Arctic Cat all provide excellent choices, and I'd guess that the utility ATVs are the biggest segment of the market by far. KTM really does not understand 'utility'...
I'm not really a quad guy & don't plan on getting one. I am a huge fan of KTM motorcycles & I was surprised that they had no presence at the ATV GNCCs. KTM may not understand "utility" but, only a fool would say they don't understand "off road".

When riding public land I see 10 quads for every dirt bike. I find it odd that I've never seen a KTM quad while out riding & I was just wondering if Quads are turning out to be a big failure for KTM? Is it just me, has anyone else seen or ridden a KTM quad?
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #6
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
KTM sold quads in the US for a few years but the $10k price tag when everyone else's were $6k made them a hard sell.
JTucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
KTM may not understand "utility" but, only a fool would say they don't understand "off road".
I know, I was just joking about the road stuff. I did not even know that KTM made quads until I searched for photos of their little 2-seat car. I too think the price point is the issue with the quads. Motorcyclists seem to willing to spend a little more for an advanced dual sport, but serious quad riders seem to replace them every couple years. At $10 grand, that could get expensive. My brother paid half that for his 400 Honda, which has more power than he knows what to do with. $1000 more for a KTM I could see, but double the price is out of the question.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
gncc621
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I have a 08 KTM 450 xc quad. If some one would tell me how to post pics I will put one up for yall. I have had several different quads all racing ones. A honda 250r a 400ex and two yamaha yfz 450. I have raced gncc and local xc races for years on bikes and quads. The KTM is a lot better than any of my jap bikes I have ever had. IMO. All of my quads had a bounch of after market parts to make them realy good xc machines that was a lot of $$ to get them to that level that the ktm is. FYI at a gncc race I race A class and at a local race pro. I had more in any of my quads to race at that level than what I have in my ktm.
The KTM comes with the following stock:
kill switch
big fuel tank
hydraulic clutch
long travel suspenson (this is the big one) around 2k or more if you had to buy seprate
adjustible a arms
adjustible rear axle
cromoly frame and a arms
good tires
Reverse
protaper handle bars
just to name some of the big ones.
But I do think price is a big factor in why they made them for only 08 - 09 and that you have most of the gncc atv guys are die hard honda guys and you can buy them for around $5500 and up. Because honda has left overs from 09 as well.
gncc621 is offline   Reply With Quote