Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
The Boy Scout OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
19 whole days! Advice and assistance in planning my trip.

Ok, guys, I know there is a ton of collective (and individual) wisdom out there. I've never really posted on the site before a few days ago when I solicited some help on setting up my bike over on the Scrambler thread.

I'm located in Northeastern Indiana and have a vacation coming up which starts Friday, May 10, and runs through the Tuesday following Memorial Day...back to work on May 29. I want to do a Southwestern/Western tour. Originally I thought I would have to ride out from here, but my brother who is a truck driver has said he will get a load for the 10th going to Texas and haul me and my bike along...nice fella my brother. That will quickly put me in striking distance of where I want to be. I hope to be dropped somewhere on Texas 380, which I have heard is a nice motorcycle road.

My goal is to avoid highways completely. I have no aversion to gravel and two track at all, in fact, the farther off the beaten track the better. But I am also mindful that I have limited time...19 days to get back home in one piece, and I am assuming I will have to ride all the way in for my return. The chances I can hook up with my brother somewhere are very problematic.

I would like to travel through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, and then home. I would like to ride through rural and remote areas and stay away from cities and highways. I plan to camp most of the time, so I don't care about the availability of motels. I will haul some Mountain House meals along, and some coffee, so I can get by if there is no place to eat. I will be riding a pretty stock Triumph Scrambler rigged out for ADV. Obviously my gas range is limited on this bike, call it 125 miles between fills. I will have installed a Touratech 3 liter gas can to one of the panniers, and a two bottle mount to the other side. Origiinal plan is to have fuel in one bottle and oil in the other.

So, there you have it, the skeleton of my dream. I am having a very hard time putting the route pieces together through the various states, I'm new to traveling on a motorcycle. Not new to motorcycles though. I have pretty much had them continuously since 1968, and I had my GS for almost 15 years...but never did more than a long weekend on it. If anyone can help me plan a remote route which is feasible, or offer advice as to resources that I can use to figure this out I would greatly appreciate it. I'm a bit stuck at the moment...prom dress and no date type thing.

Thanks.
The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Ride4Coffee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Useful thread

Hey BP,

You may find this thread useful:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764151

It's all about different route planning tools. I'm in the same position later this summer, and have been using Google Maps, since it allows me to share the planning updates with the crew.
Ride4Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
The Boy Scout OP
Adventurer

Thanks R4C. Instantly obvious I was biting off too much. Now I think I have a plan, which I will just throw out there in hope there will be some people who can suggest side routes, good eats, finest kind camping areas, and must see areas.

I will get flat-bedded on the semi to the Dallas area. From there I will make my way, via 180 to Breckenridge and then Seminole. From Seminole I will head to Artesia, NM and then south to El Paso. From El Paso I will take NM 9 over towards Animas, head into the Coronado National Forest (and most likely run one of the dirt roads through the mountains, maybe the Onion Saddle). Then north on 191 to Mexican Water and head east ending up on 64 to Raton, NM. From Raton take a short hop on I-25 to Trinidad, CO, and go east on 160. Once in Missouri I will probably be running short on time so I will probably just grab some highways back home to Indiana.

If anyone has rode any of these sections, or has input as to good food, camping, side trips, and "must not miss" things, I would love to hear about it.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,258
See the "What Next Wander Tour" in Ride Reports done by Evomx971. Should give you some good ideas. I do think you are planning a bridge too far for 19 total days though. These states out here are HUGE. 2 days just to cross TX going FAST. NM is 5th biggest state....AZ pretty big too.All of them are interesting enough to spend your ENTIRE time in them! So just pick a couple. BTW NM9 is long and boring. Look at NM152-US180-NM78 to US191 just a little farther North..... Now ,go look at the ride report I mentioned.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #5
The Boy Scout OP
Adventurer

Thanks, buls4evr. Good advice I intend to take. I did look at the trip you suggested, and it did give me some good ideas. I don't want to be around towns as much as was involved on that ride, but some of the back road stuff was outstanding. I am modifying as you suggested by limiting my area. New plan is to haul to and from Porter, TX so I can start my ride in the warm weather at a place that interests me. I think I may just wander south camping along the way as works out, and try to hit Big Bend, and depending on time just keep wandering somewhat north of the border until it's time to get back to Porter. I appreciate you straightening me out. One of the places I liked the best on the trip report you pointed out to me can be easily incorporated in this plan. Gracias.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,258
Borneo Pom, you need to PM me. Inmate Lunatic has an ADV hostel in Las Cruces NM and would show you around the area. Lots of great riding in this area alone. By May you will be in hi 80s lo 90s here. We could likely arrange something for you here so at least we could get you a shower and a cold drink....or 2.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
i got 17 days myself to ride from Alaska to California, hope that gives you an idea to just ride ride rriide..

cheers

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,453
Sounds like a great adventure!

Hopefully you've got a windscreen, if not http://www.nationalcycle.com/

This map can be had at Auto Club(non member is less than $10)
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote