User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
KGRider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
KLR 650 Problems...

So about 2 months ago I decided to trade my 69 Cj5 for a 2001 KLR 650 to pursue my passion of riding. I have followed advrider before I even started to ride full time and love the people and the site. (little bit of background)

It's funny because yesterday I learned all about the darn "doohickey" problems... and decided to change it as soon as I had the money. But today I took it out for a couple of trails and ran into a problem. I was in first gear going through some steep short woops and heard a sound coming from the casing and stopped, it sounded like another idle coming from the engine if that makes sense and the bike itself was a little rougher. I shut it off, checked fluids, all was good there. I wasn't to far from home and decided to ride up the last hill and could coast down a powerline road to my backyard. As I started heading up the short hill of woops the bike stalled going down the backside of a woop. I tried to start but it wasn't even trying to turn, thought the battery might of died and tried to jump but the back tire was locked. I have a bad feeling I seized the engine. What do you guys think?
KGRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Oddometer: 778
I think you are right, in that you are likely screwed. How many miles on the motor? Pull the case cover and stator and check it out. Also go to KLR650.net, those guys will know. Good luck :(
Old 12-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
KGRider OP
n00b

10,000 miles. Yeah it makes one click when your try to start and cuts out, I will go to klr650.net and try to resolve the problem
Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
John65
D Ol Man

Oddometer: 1,385
A friend and I rode up to north GA, rode some trails up there and then back home. He got about 4 miles from his house and had a similar problem to what you describe. He didn't try to re-start the bike, just called his wife to come pick him up.
He took the bike to Kawi dealer and doohickey had broke, chain came off sprocket and busted side case. cost him a lot of $$$ to get it fixed.
The dealer had told him earlier that they had never seen a doohickey break, so he shouldn't worry 'bout replacing it.
Guess they were wrong, huh
TET Florida Section
TET Georgia Section
John65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,050
How handy are you?

Put the bike on a center stand, pull the spark plug and try to turn the back wheel with the transmission in 5th gear.

Check your oil for bits and pieces.

Pull the valve cover and see if the cam chain is still there and turning the cam shafts.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
klrnohio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
You should try posting on KLR650.net and pm eaglemike. He's the doohickey guru. Great guy.
klrnohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrnohio View Post
You should try posting on KLR650.net and pm eaglemike. He's the doohickey guru. Great guy.
Interesting first post.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
pull the left side cover & look. the good news is there are plenty of parts out there.

I have done over 3 dozen doos... mebby 4 dozen. at least half had some thing bad. at least 1/3 were broken
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #9
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,345
Post some pics when you get it opened up pleaze / some folk still listening to the dealer
when they say "its a non-factor" (and I agree it's a real problem)

Which one would you want....... the skinny smaller one from Kawasucker or the all beef version from Eagle Mike?

Old 12-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #10
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
This seems to be a handy KLR thread with lots of good info http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845169
Old 12-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #11
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,821

That thread is hilarious!
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #12
Kbowling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Sounds like it broke,its not to hard to replace with the right tools,but it sound like a more involved now
Kbowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
KGRider OP
n00b

Okay so this morning I headed out to break it down and see what was going on in there. I was going to try two things, I was going to pull the side off and check the doohickey and springs, check for broken gears, and to see if everything was in place. Next I was going to open up the valve top and look to see if the timing chain was there, adjustments bolts were in place, and there were no shavings floating around.

I started by taking the plastics off and the fuel tank. Pulled the radiator fan and sprocket cover.

The I opened up the side cover and didn't see anything obvious that was broken or misplaced. Next was to take the Rotor bolt out to release the rotor. I didn't have a barrel wrench to hold the rotor still as I tried to break the bolt loose. I was regretting not having the right tool for the job but in my luck a friend of mine said he was going to bring over a Snap On bk6000 cylinder scope with a camera and light at the end which was really helpful. We saw that the doohickey was in tack and still no sign of why the tire was locked and it wasn't turning over. Since I had the two gears between the flywheel and the starter removed, we tried to start it to make sure the starter was working correctly which it was.

Then we had the top valve cover and the side cover off and were messing around with the rotor bolt and a ratchet and it started turning the timing chain. Wait a second! It's turning the timing chain? So maybe it was the gears between the flywheel and the starter gear? So we put the side cover and valve top back on and put some oil in and tried to turn it over, sure enough it was turning. We came to the conclusion that when I stalled, it jammed the gears or slipped the starter gear out of place....

So the bike is all put back together and is running great now. I appreciate all of your help and look forward to riding!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 AM   #14
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,345
wow.... weird.

Sounds like you got lucky brother, even though you had to take the bike apart to verify all that. Consider replacing the doo and upgrading to a torsion spring anyway.

ride on!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:09 AM   #15
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,137
Whoa. another reason I love old red Hondas

Sorry to get off topic but where are you in the high desert? i need some riding buddies

RIDE RED!

RFVC600R screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 03:15 AM
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote