User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
______ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Hearing Aids

I've been losing my hearing for several years. I'm not deaf, just some typical high frequency loss that comes with working in loud environments, listening to loud music and having shitty genes.

The Veterans Administration paid for mine and will apparently pay for them for any veteran. There is a $50 copay for veterans in group 6-8. See link here: http://www.vva678.net/VA-Hearing-Aid-Update.html

I ended up with the Phonak Ambra M H2O model. Curiosity got the better of me, so I looked online to see what these things cost. Holy shit! $2200 EACH.

Having had them for a day, I already feel pretty well adjusted to them. I've noticed a few things though. First my ears do itch from having these things stuck in my ears all day. Second, I can hear a whole lot better. Finally, my wife and kids make a lot of noise.

I guess my public service announcement is hearing aids are fucking expensive and your wife doesn't really have anything important to say. If you happen to have served in the U.S. Armed Forces or have great insurance though, they are probably worth looking into getting if you are having a hard time hearing.

______ screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 10:24 PM
______ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Greg MacD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
After 23 years of flying in the military, I think I will be right next to you inline at the VA getting fitted too. No real insight to hearing aids just yet, but I have a nice loss in my mid range in my left year, starting to give me some trouble.....

Mac
"Drinking Rum before 10 am does not make you an Alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate"
Greg MacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Been There, Didn't Hear That

I got mine a couple of years ago. My 'wonderful' PA said that I could not hear well enough for her to sign off on the renewal for my Captain's License. The 'scientific' test was for her to whisper behind me as I sat under the running heat duct, I heard with the left but not the right. Off to the audiologist, who fortunately was an old friend, get a real hearing test which shows me right by the borderline, what I do hear is OK but some of the high frequencies don't register at all. He explained that the traditional 'make it louder' hearing aids won't work (5 or 10 x 0 is still 0) so I need hearing aids that will shift the frequencies that I don't hear to the ones that I do hear. Technology isn't cheap, my insurance doesn't cover them, no way to 'prove that I need them because of a couple of decades of sirens and air horns on the fire trucks. My long time friend price brings them down from $6,600 to $5,000 even, can't renew my credential without them so goodbye savings account. They really do work, I hear lots of stuff that I had not heard in years. I was advised that they are not very water resistant and that I should probably not actually take them on the boat.
So, after all that, I learn that said PA (not 'mine' anymore) made enough 'notes' on my med form that I will not be getting a renewal anyway. I try to remember to take the hearing aids along once or twice a month when I attend meetings, otherwise they do not fit my lifestyle or under my helmet. YMMV!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #4
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,409
I got some Siemens hearing aids about 3 years ago - 25% hearing loss in the upper frequencies. The hearing aids are set up with a laptop to boost the frequencies you are down in. I don't hear better, I just hear more - all those squeaks and clanks, clicks and chirps that I didn't notice I didn't hear anymore.

We have a welfare system, and so being classed as a work related injury I got them free of charge - and that's 3 times the value of yours in out money. You pays your taxes (or insurance) and it's good to get some back.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,077
What?
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ______ View Post
I've been losing my hearing for several years. I'm not deaf, just some typical high frequency loss that comes with working in loud environments, listening to loud music and having shitty genes.

The Veterans Administration paid for mine and will apparently pay for them for any veteran. There is a $50 copay for veterans in group 6-8. See link here: http://www.vva678.net/VA-Hearing-Aid-Update.html

I ended up with the Phonak Ambra M H2O model. Curiosity got the better of me, so I looked online to see what these things cost. Holy shit! $2200 EACH.

Having had them for a day, I already feel pretty well adjusted to them. I've noticed a few things though. First my ears do itch from having these things stuck in my ears all day. Second, I can hear a whole lot better. Finally, my wife and kids make a lot of noise.

I guess my public service announcement is hearing aids are fucking expensive and your wife doesn't really have anything important to say. If you happen to have served in the U.S. Armed Forces or have great insurance though, they are probably worth looking into getting if you are having a hard time hearing.
DITTO!!! Got my Phonaks from the VA this year.....50 bucks.........what a difference they have made.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
I qualify for hearig aids thru the VA. I got checked out 6 weeks ago. I passed on the aids as I wear custom fit ear plugs when I ride. Do you see that as a problem?
My cousin who was an Army clerk in Germany has a 10% disability for hearing loss and recieves a check every month. I was a BT in the Navy and have a loss so how does one apply for the disability. I already have a 0% disability for Asbestos in my lungs from the service.
Dudley

1996 Triumph Trophy 900
1989 Honda Transalp
2010 KTM 690 Duke
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
SJSharkfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Hey Fire Escape.

Guys that I work with at the FD got their hearing aids covered by workmans comp. Have you looked into it? Some times you have to work them (Chiefs, admin) to get what you need.

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkfan View Post
Hey Fire Escape.

Guys that I work with at the FD got their hearing aids covered by workmans comp. Have you looked into it? Some times you have to work them (Chiefs, admin) to get what you need.
I had already been retired a few years when I got to this point. It is hard enough to get things covered when you are still 'on the job', much less once you are out the door. Having been a competitive shooter (always with hearing protection), they pretty much had a "well it could have been caused by" excuse at hand.
Without a 'specific incident' they wouldn't cover my back surgery when I was still working, in this case I again lacked any specific event. It might have been worth the fight but I will live with these hearing aids as long as they last and probably not get replacements, there isn't that much I want to hear anymore.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
subvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,476
I've had a pair of Rexton behind-the-ear devices for about a year now.

Same problem as alot of others, hearing loss in the mid-high frequencies. Working around breather valves and other gear on subs, and years of stupidly not taking care of my hearing. (guns, motos, loud f-ing rock and roll, etc..)

I hear great with them in. Best resuts are when I an in my office working. Get into a place with alot of background noise and they're not so good even when I bump them into "restaurant" or "arena" mode. (essentially, it shuts off any sound coming from behind you)

I was lucky, I had good insurance when I got them so I coughed up about $600 out of pocket. Our carrier switched and they're no longer covered so I may check out the VA route although I wouldnt feel right hosing the VA when I probably did most of the damage to my hearing post-military.

I had some problems with the right one. It kept cutting out and I had to have it repaired. Wearing reading glasses is a pain as it sometimes blocks the receiver, and it also rubs on the wire going to the ear and creates noise sometimes.

Oh well, it sucks getting older....the inconvenience comes with the territory I suppose. I do hear better with them so shouldn't complain.
subvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
______ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
I qualify for hearig aids thru the VA. I got checked out 6 weeks ago. I passed on the aids as I wear custom fit ear plugs when I ride. Do you see that as a problem?
My cousin who was an Army clerk in Germany has a 10% disability for hearing loss and recieves a check every month. I was a BT in the Navy and have a loss so how does one apply for the disability. I already have a 0% disability for Asbestos in my lungs from the service.
Dudley
Dudley, I don't know when you got out, but if they did a hearing test and noted loss at the time you could have a claim. I think the best way to file a claim is to go through one of the service agencies like the American Legion, Disabled American Veterans, Purple Heart Association, etc. You don't have to be a member or even qualified to join a particular organization to use the services of their service officers. Many of these organizations have offices in VA hospitals and clinics.

I'd get the hearing aids If I were you. I understand that you wear ear protectors when you ride and should continue to do so. The audiologist said I should take mine out when I ride and wear hearing protection.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
+1 on using the organizations to help filing with the VA.

I have a hearing loss and got 0% for it. I am authorized hearing aids from the VA. I was told one normally gets 0% for hearing loss due to it being correctable although maybe it depends on how bad. I got 10% for my Tinitus.

I was told the best hearing aids for my hearing loss would be like subvet's. I have mid to high level loss in both ears. I've chosen to not use hearing aids at this point, partly because of the Tinitus and partly because of the type of hearing aid recommended.
marret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #13
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,837
I've worn them for many years and I'm only 60. They are a hassle and itch, so I wear them only when necessary. I really needed them at work, but now I'm retired, so it's not necessary to wear them so much. When it comes to riding they are an even bigger hassle. You can't wear them while riding, so it's a hassle to put them in and take them out whenever you stop.

If I don't really need them at the time, I actually prefer the solitude.

BTW, Costco is a good place to get them.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Dudley
Get them Steve. Then I won't have to keep repeating myself
Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #15
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ______ View Post
Dudley, I don't know when you got out, but if they did a hearing test and noted loss at the time you could have a claim. I think the best way to file a claim is to go through one of the service agencies like the American Legion, Disabled American Veterans, Purple Heart Association, etc. You don't have to be a member or even qualified to join a particular organization to use the services of their service officers. Many of these organizations have offices in VA hospitals and clinics.

I'd get the hearing aids If I were you. I understand that you wear ear protectors when you ride and should continue to do so. The audiologist said I should take mine out when I ride and wear hearing protection.
Thanks for the advice. I was in the Navy as a BT. Boilerman, very loud in the firerooms. I was discharged Oct 1966 at Treasure Island, CA in San Francisco. As my group was being processed we were in a room listening to someone speaking about our hearing test. He then asked if there was anyone who couldn't hear him. No hands went up so he told us that we all just passed the hearing test!
I'll call my county VA rep and make an appt to see him, only 7 miles from me.
One of the issues that I have is I am a real young 67 yrs old.
Dudley

1996 Triumph Trophy 900
1989 Honda Transalp
2010 KTM 690 Duke
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: