User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Ronin ADV OP
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Long distance bike sale

So I recently put one of my bikes up for sale here in the FM and I have received several emails about it. A couple have included discussion of deposits, shipping, etc.
I have sold a few bikes face to face and that is my strong preference as the buyer can ensure they are happy with the bike, we can both sign a bill of sale, cash in hand and off you go.
I am unfamiliar with the exact mechanics of how guys are selling / shipping bikes with no direct contact. Do you insist on all cash in hand first? That would seem to imply a lot of trust by the buyer. How do you get a bill of sale signed by both parties?
Someone please walk me through how you would do this. Or should I just insist on dealing directly with the buyer face to face?
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 219
For me, any major (vehicle title transfer) transaction would have to be face-to-face, by way of either cash or a means of payment that involved some kind of guarantee of payment for the seller and some kind of recourse for the buyer should something go bad. Internet sales are a happy hunting ground for scammers. That said, I've had very good luck with the flea market here for purchases smaller than a bike.

abnslr screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 12:19 PM Reason: crappy spelling
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
So I recently put one of my bikes up for sale here in the FM and I have received several emails about it. A couple have included discussion of deposits, shipping, etc.
I have sold a few bikes face to face and that is my strong preference as the buyer can ensure they are happy with the bike, we can both sign a bill of sale, cash in hand and off you go.
I am unfamiliar with the exact mechanics of how guys are selling / shipping bikes with no direct contact. Do you insist on all cash in hand first? That would seem to imply a lot of trust by the buyer. How do you get a bill of sale signed by both parties?
Someone please walk me through how you would do this. Or should I just insist on dealing directly with the buyer face to face?
I have bought a few cars sight unseen. One was via eBay from a private seller - I used their escrow service (whatever was available from eBay at the time). Note: it was provided by eBay, not suggested by the seller.
I paid for the car into the escrow, eBay notified the seller - the seller shipped me the vehicle with the papers. I received the car, checked it out, notified eBay to release payment to seller.

That was a few years ago - research what is available now. eBay's escrow service was open to all transactions, not only on the site.

Another car I purchased was from a dealer in Michigan. I sent him a check, he sent me the car by shipper and papers by certified mail. It was about $15k as I recall, but I figured that a purchase from a business is safer than from a private person. In that case, I had someone living in the area drive up to see if the place was legit and if the car looked OK.

I also sold a car to an unseen outfit in FL. Same deal, the guy talked to me on the phone, sent me a certified check, I sent him the papers. The shipper's truck showed up a few days later.

I am not sure if this helps you... Still: you have the upper hand in a sale. Once you get the payment (insist on a bank cashier's check, no one is going to send you cash), you are done - it is the buyer who has to worry.

By the way, though nominally the buyer and seller have to sign the title, in reality you can sign it and then forward to the buyer. Once you have the money in hand, you do not worry about your copy of the bill of sale. This, of course depends on the state law, but around here (I dealt with NJ, NY, PA, MA, VA, GA and MI) it sufficed that the seller signed the title and gave the document to the buyer.

I do agree that a distance transaction does not result in a nice warm-and-fuzzy feeling, but sometimes it is just too far for a buyer to travel. As for myself, my last bike purchased locally was about 15 years ago. Since then, I have gone to pick up and tow purchased bikes as far as about 8 hours drive time each way (and have flown to pick-up-and-ride at about 2 driving day's distance) - but some would consider that extreme.

Nevertheless, as I wrote, you are in a better position in a distance transaction. All you have to do is assure that the payment is for real. No Nigerian over-payment deals, please. If paid by cashier's check, call the issuing bank to confirm that it is real.

It is the buyer who has to worry that you will deliver the goods. If he is willing to take the risk, it's obviously worth to him.

Hope this helps. Robert.

rdwalker screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 08:45 AM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote