User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,637
2013 Ford Focus ST, anybody got one?

Title says it all, i did a search, came up with nothing.

Any of you ff's have one? Tell us about em if you do

There are a few a the local dealer, just sitting there, all orange and recaro and stuff. I sorta need/want a new car, push in this direction, if you will. What I read online sounds good, if not great. One of the forums list a few build issues, but silly stuff, like a hose not tightened. I would think they got the little stuff down now that the ST is out a few months.

Thanks!

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I test drove one. It is a fun car to drive. Only problem is that you give up the fuel economy with the ST (relatively speaking), but it's a hoot to drive!
DLFLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,736
Bro has one. He got it end of Oct. I'll ask him to reply. Overall he seems happy with how it drives and handles, but he isn't thrilled with the fuel economy. If it was all wheel OR if it was better on fuel it would be more competitive, IMO.
I drove the gti and wrx before getting my tdi golf last year. I loved the wrx but I drive to much to be happy with low 20's mpg (especially with premium gas).
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,238
I'd be interested to hear if the ST has the same torque steer issues as the Mazdaspeed3? I drove the MS and LOVED everything else about that car... but the torque steer will most likely be a deal breaker, especially when an AWD WRX can be had for $2k more.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
The price tag is scaring people off. -the unfortunate part is that its only a few grand more than the BRZ which lacks the Recaro interior and my-touch (similar) audio system...and cant stay on the dealers lots.

Dont throw sticks at me but the Fiesta ST looks pretty appealing and better MPG
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergut View Post
The price tag is scaring people off. -the unfortunate part is that its only a few grand more than the BRZ which lacks the Recaro interior and my-touch (similar) audio system...and cant stay on the dealers lots.

Dont throw sticks at me but the Fiesta ST looks pretty appealing and better MPG

Agreed about the Fiesta ST, really like the BRZ as well, don't think my dog can fit in it. Maybe?

Too bad Honda doesn't make a Fit SI, with 140 horses

and as PDF here
Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
Honda is dead. They died when they left f1. They are now into pleasing the governments.

(I am a huge fan of Honda and would LOVE a R version of the fit. It will likely never happen in the US)

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,153
I was looking at the Fiesta when I discovered the Focus 5 door. The Focus gets as good as mileage as the Festiva. I was cool with settling with a gas-saver but i was shocked at how great it ran for a 4 cylinder. I will hammer the hell out of it when I feel like it and it will scoot.

Men's Journal was listing it on their yearly gear guide as a good toy at a great price.....of course they didn't mention the awesome gas mileage.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
FRANKtheMACHINE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
ST with 1300 mi on it

Hi All,
As UC says, I picked up a black focus ST in SP2 trim - ie partial leather recaro's, no heated seats, no HID.

Here goes -
I needed a daily driver and a car that would fit a (short) surfboard inside and a longboard on the roof (thule 480 with 1627 fit kit and hang two). The space inside fits what I need too - one can pull the back seat up and lie the back seat down to get it flat (ie no annoying angle from the back seat just tilted forward). That means a ton of flat usable space. Bottom line, I still find it a blast to drive, I think it sounds great, looks good etc. There is an algorithm that slows the inside front wheel to minimize torque steer and that has not been a problem for me - granted I havnt had this car on a track - just whipped it around boston's round-about traffic circles a few times.
If you are looking at this car for this season the fwd will be fine but it ships with 18'' summer only F1's. They grab like crazy and the car corners and accelerates really well. I've just changed mine to 16'' Hankook i'cept evo winter tires on rims (discounttiresdirect.com hooked me up - ask for earl) and acutually I like the drive even more - the 18's like to grab uneven parts of the road too which can pull the wheels and acutually change your direction - be careful with that. The 16's take care of that problem.

Pro's: engine, seats, steering wheel, fit and finish, nav - ie everything you touch

Unsure: ford mytouch - sort of annoying but sometimes helpful

Con: gas milage - I get 22-24 combined right now. I touched 28mi/gal on a half tank of gas on the highway babying the thing but most of the time I'm git'n on it. Other con - there is no digital speedo (at least I havnt found it). Where the digital speedo should be - that is to say directly in the middle of the dash is a digital readout of a bunch of useless info- time driving, mi to empty, and worst of all the SHITTY FUEL ECONOMY. Frankly these are minor points, I'm still having a ton of fun with this car. Much cheaper than the gti, bmw x1 and wrx that I looked at.
peace.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Frank
Thanks for the info, keep us updated. My current Cvic si gets 24 around town, it is the 02 with 160 hp. frankly, for what it is, I think the gas mileage on my car kinda sucks: I got 30 on a long trip, can get 25 or 26 with a few freeway trips, but really. I would think if i had car like the Focus ST that got a little better mileage around town, but still had a lot more hp, that would be cool.

So would a car that was fun and got in the 30's.

and as PDF here
Old 12-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
FRANKtheMACHINE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
the evil genius

Old 12-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKtheMACHINE View Post
That car is fuckin sexy...
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwscotty View Post
I was looking at the Fiesta when I discovered the Focus 5 door. The Focus gets as good as mileage as the Festiva. I was cool with settling with a gas-saver but i was shocked at how great it ran for a 4 cylinder. I will hammer the hell out of it when I feel like it and it will scoot.

Men's Journal was listing it on their yearly gear guide as a good toy at a great price.....of course they didn't mention the awesome gas mileage.
Are you talking about the base Focus?

and as PDF here
Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Are you talking about the base Focus?
I don't have the base, I have the SE which is the middle version but I like it. It's automatic, one more gear than the manual. I avg a steady 35 mpg during my work week which is 75 miles round trip, about 75/25% hiway city but on long hauls I see 38-40.
I like the 5 door, I think its sportier than the 4 door sedan but seriously there is no seating space in the back seats. I'm 6-3 and fit comfortably in the drivers seat. Now that I have driven it for a while I don't think spending the day on the clutch would be fun.
One odd thing is the position of the gas pedal, I can't rest my foot in the right position for a long time and you end up with it at an odd angle, wears on you after some city driving.

The Men's Journal version was the ST.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,048
Finally looked at an ST in the flesh.....a red car that was being dealer traded, so I only got to sit in it. The math doesn't bother me.....a loaded GTI goes for $31k with zero-percent paper most of the year, so a Focus for a couple thou less and 2.9% financing isn't hugely different.

Exterior is stunning, it looks great.

Interior drove me nuts. That massive console, low roof, and small boot just makes the car feel claustrophobic compared to my GTI.

No one could tell me anything about it. I live in truck and SUV country and fart-can hotrods are outside the dealership's comfort zone.

I will wait to see some longer-term reliability data on Ford's direct injection solution, as this has been a huge achilles heel on Volkswagens and Audis with the 2.0T engine.

ps- I don't know what kind of mileage you are expecting. My GTI is rated at 21/29 and it gets 28 in combined driving.

jdiaz screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 06:37 PM
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: