Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,977
Teach me about electric razors please :D

So this year Santa wants to bring me an electric razor. I'd rather his elves were working on a set if 17's for my XR-R, but alas I think my future holds a Norelco, not a pair of Excels. What do you "modern" shavers use these days. I remember old Norelcos from my past getting hot, making my face rashy ( maybe that was puberty) and getting dull quick. The cordless units didnt have very long lasting batteries.

Shopping now is overwhelming. Who'd a thought you could spend 200 and up for a face vibrator.

Norelco the best?
Corded or battery?
2D or 3D?
I don't need one for the shower right?
How long do they last? What's it cost replace or re sharpen the blades?

So why would I waste my time reading Amazon reviews, I have ADV as a resource..... And everything you read here is the whole truth and nothing but the truth , right?
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
I've been using electric razors exclusively for 7 years now.

Started with a Remington rotary, broke soon after buying, had it replaced under warranty. Eventually the battery worked for less and less time.

Bought a Norelco Rotary 8250XL close to 4 years ago. Still going strong. Light indicates it needs to be charged, charges in an hour with a flashing light indicating it is charged. Lasts something around 3 or so weeks.

I dropped it with the head open and knocked off a head spinner things. Stuffed it back on a year ago and it has worked fine since.

I wash the head out in the faucet once a week and leave it open to dry.

I don't personally think the 3D or 2D is necessary. The 8200 series head does move a little fore and aft. One can simply move the angle of the razor instead.

It will be replaced with another Norelco. I actually bought a 8270 to replace the one I broke, but still haven't needed it.

Replacement heads around 30. I've only replaced them once. I shave my face daily and my head every other day with it. Lectric shave or the Remington powder does help for me. I prefer Lectric shave these days.
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,859
Personally could never do electrics. All they ever did was chew my face up, and leave a 1/32" of stubble.

Tossed my last cartridge 2 years ago and have been using a Futur DE safety razor ever since. Blades $12/100 on ebay or amazon.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
I'm another anti electric guy. I tried using 'em back in my youth (that's about 15 to 20 years ago I guess) so things may have changed but...for me, wet shave all the way. Closer, much much closer.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
______
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147

Grow a beard
Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,259
I have a light to medium facial hair characteristics. Around 1982 I bought a Braun for around $80, big bucks then. Worked great and lasted until 2010. Then bought another same model Braun, $59. How could that be? Made in China. Great- if you like pain and cutting and a bad shave. Got a Norelco 1280X. The instructions said it takes a week to fit your beard. For the first 2 months it was marginal, and after that very substandard - you finish shaving with a 5 o'clock shadow. Within a year it barely charges. Not recommended.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,136

Been using these and on my second one. The first one lasted fairly long, maybe 4-5 years before the battery started going. I ended up soldering some rechargeable AA batteries to it and call it my franken-razor. My current Norelco is from Costco and not as good as the battery is going on it, but it's about 3 years old.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,095
I've always had trouble with this. I've tried single and multiple blades, rotary electrics, standard screen electrics. Everything draws blood on my neck, but blades are clearly the worst. Electrics just don't get as close. So I finally gave up and used a Norelco speed XL if for no other reason than convenience. I also decided to shave only twice a week, because if I can't get a really close shave why keep trying? Additionally, a couple of days between shaves lets my skin heal.

About a month ago I was buying some work clothes at a Macy's and passed by a sale on Norelco shavers. I decided to buy a new one to see if anything had changed in the world of shaving. It was at this point that I realized my existing Norelco was over 12 years old. It would run a month plus on a single 1.5 hour charge, and nothing ever broke. I replaced the cutters once or twice in those 12 years, which was pretty impressive considering I kept my head shaved with it for a few years.

I bought a power touch wet/dry. Not impressed with the wet function, but it is clearly better than my old Norelco when used as a dry shaver. I charged it when I bought it and haven't had to charge it since. Overall I think Norelco builds a solid product and have come to the conclusion that *any* shaver I use is going to inflict some damage. The Norelco is the best solution I've found so far.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
SJSharkfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
I've had Remingtons, Brauns and Norelcos.

I like the Norelco best. Battery lasts a long time, pretty close shave. Quiet without a lot of heat build up.

I'm a "shave as needed" guy. Meaning I don't shave every day. So I'll go 2-4 days in between. The Norelco can handle 2 days ok, but if I go 4 I have to knock down the long hairs with a cordless groomer.

I think the 3D under water shaver is mostly marketing hype. But don't go to cheap. I've bought $40 Norelcos for my teenagers and they feel flimsy. Although they take a beating and still work.

Every now and then I'm forced to use a real razor and think, "man that is smooth". But it's just not worth the hassle.

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,259
After posting earlier about my Braun and Norelco I got to thinking why not fish out the second gen Braun and give it a another go? Previously I had used it maybe a week before binning it. Today I find the foil has a hole from the blades cutting into it, (forgot about that which is why I cut my face I am sure) and then, upon switching it on, the foil will not stay attached, it promptly vibrates right off. This is a "new" Braun that had been used all of 7-8 times.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,129
I've used the top of line braun for several years. It's the one that cleans itself, but I don't use that. I just rinse as needed. Works great for my head and beard daily.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
Tossed my last cartridge 2 years ago and have been using a Futur DE safety razor ever since. Blades $12/100 on ebay or amazon.
I've never used an electric razor that performs better than a cheap chef's knife.

I use a 50's era Gillette safety razor I found in an antique store. A 100-pack of Derby's last me more than a year.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,013
I've got a Braun 6550 rechargeable, (made in Germany) have been using it for about 10-12 years. I have replaced the cutting head once or twice in that time. It still holds a charge well and gives me a decent shave for an electric.
I don't remember what I paid for it but I think it was less than $100. I would buy another one just like it if it was still available.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
I've tried Norelco and Braun, each with dismal results. Even after putting up withe red/raw throat for a month I can't get used to them. If I use a razor every day, I'm good after a week or so on the ingrown hairs and general razor burn...but I still hate shaving. I haven't actually shaved in 3 or 4 years now, I use a cordless grooming trimmer to knock it down to stubble every day and call it good.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #15
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,818
I've been using a regular old Norelco for year and years, I sharpen the three cutting wheels on it about every 6 months or so, takes about 5 minutes to sharpen them.
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: