ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2005, 09:17 AM   #16
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh23
I'm in with no time restrictions - so anytime will be fine. Send me a PM - so JD doesnt get upset with the HiJack

Enjoy

Will do. Ill see if he wants to come. That would be cool.
Johnny: Come out and ride! (I know youve got work, but let us know eh?)

am I being annoying yet?

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:51 PM   #17
Johnny Drunkard OP
sQuishy

Oddometer: 6,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthead
Tacoma to Eugene 259 miles-Eugene out to the coast to Cresent City 242-Cresent City to Eureka 76 miles. 577 total. You can stop at Cresent City thats about 500 miles or 10 hours. Leave at 6am arrive at 4pm. Highway 1 north of San Francisco is really nice. One minute your out on the coast drive inland 15 minutes and your crossing the golden gate. Theres a 3 dollar toll going southbound over the bridge. Thers a scenic lookout right before you cross the bridge its a good picture stop. Highway 1 thru San Francisco is no problem what so ever. You can always stop in southern Oregon the first night then stop by Jenner or Bodega Bay the 2nd night.There shouldn't be much traffic mid week on highway 1 but it is slower than 101. If you stop at any of the scenic lookouts on 1 see if you can spot any whales.You usually can this time of year. What are you riding?
OK, thanks for the clarification. Sounds like the coast route is do-able with the time I've got.

I-5 from Everett to Olympia is evil. If I take the coast route, I'll hop on the Edmonds ferry & run down the 101 from there.

I'm riding "Sybil" (weeStrom). Its gonna be fun trying to get all my gear in my tailbag...
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:07 PM   #18
Johnny Drunkard OP
sQuishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Johnny, you're talking about some real tough days here.

Seattle to Monterey is 910 miles on the freeway, about 14 hours of driving at typical speeds, not counting breaks. The coast route is tremendously slower and would add 6-8 hours. Cutting over to 395 probably about the same, what you gain in speed would be offset by increased mileage.
Mark,
So, you would guess 20-22 hrs. on the coast route? I was planning on 14 hrs. a day including breaks, 500-ish miles. Sounds like its do-able though I might be a little saddlesore.

Quote:
Camping "within six hours" of Monterey would help, but riding to/from someplace N of the Golden Gate down to Monterey would make for some absolutely exhausting days fighting heavy traffic if you're going to the races.

My suggestion would be for you to find someplace to stay near Monterey so the race day commutes don't get totally out of hand.
Ooops, lack of clarity in my first post - sorry. Thurs. - Sun. I'll be camping at the track (Turn 10). I want to be within 6 hours of Monterey so I can get there mid afternoon. I figure middle of the day traffic is probably the lightest (relatively speaking).

Quote:
The coastal route in WA/OR isn't that interesting, so if you really only have two days, I'd probably just get on the freeway the first day, make some big miles, and get to someplace like Redding, then have a reasonable next day to explore some of the fine stuff in N. Calif on the way to wherever you're staying.

Taking 395 would result in 600-mile days. If you can do this, then you'd be in wide open spaces in S. Oregon to camp, although this area has 100+ deg temps in July.

Mostly, I'd suggest taking more time. I'm taking four days down and don't consider them to be easy days.

- Mark
Ewww...100 degree days. Thats a deal breaker. I'd suspected it would be hot, but not that hot! Camping would definitely suck!

I wish I had more time, but I'm at my limit already. Someday I'm taking a long vacation...
Old 06-23-2005, 05:12 PM   #19
Johnny Drunkard OP
sQuishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddBrit
Jeebuz - do you want a blow by blow mileage count?

Seriously the coastal route is simply awesome! You wont see much traffic in the middle bit - especially if you leave early in the morning. I would allow 50 miles per hour - fast it aint! Prolly stating the obvious but it can get quite cold on the coast even in June - so take a warm sleeping bag and either some gerbings or extra layers (saying that it'll prolly be a heatwave of course). Watch out for LA from 100 miles north of San Francisco all the way to Monterrey. If you have time the Russian River and Point Reyes (Elk - fantastic scenery) are worth a detour.

Enjoy!
Thanks mb,

I'll be bringing my normal PNW kit, so cold & rain shouldn't be a problem. Sleeping bag is three season too. I more concerned about being too hot during the day down in Monterey.

I'll be sure to keep my speed down once I get down to LEO territory. I've heard about some speed traps S of SF as well.

Russian River, Point Reyes. Check. I'll see how it goes...
Old 06-23-2005, 05:13 PM   #20
Johnny Drunkard OP
sQuishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh23
JD,

When you headed to Neah Bay?

Stosh
Not this week or next, gotta work to finance this lil adventure.

Maybe sometime in mid July?
Old 06-23-2005, 05:14 PM   #21
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard
Not this week or next, gotta work to finance this lil adventure.

Maybe sometime in mid July?

wurd.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:17 PM   #22
Johnny Drunkard OP
sQuishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
Will do. Ill see if he wants to come. That would be cool.
Johnny: Come out and ride! (I know youve got work, but let us know eh?)

am I being annoying yet?

Sorry g, can't do it. I'll be working til 6 on Saturday. Sunday is Strom maintenance day: oil change, lube, pre-ride inspect etc. I'm thinking about routing a spare clutch cable just in case...

Why don't we plan on Neah Bay sometime in mid. July? Give folks some time to make plans...
Old 06-23-2005, 05:24 PM   #23
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Sorry g, can't do it. I'll be working til 6 on Saturday. Sunday is Strom maintenance day: oil change, lube, pre-ride inspect etc. I'm thinking about routing a spare clutch cable just in case...

Why don't we plan on Neah Bay sometime in mid. July? Give folks some time to make plans...

No worries. I gotta work saturday morning and I havent had a good ride in some time so the thumper is coming out on sunday.

Neah bay is good. Gets foggy though....
Gravel is a real bitch on the twisties coming back too....
good ride though and lots to see.
July is fine, no worries.

You have a safe and pleasant trip now y'hear? Cant have you getting messed up with that gorgeous new haircut....

Old 06-23-2005, 05:25 PM   #24
Johnny Drunkard OP
sQuishy

OK, back on topic now...

Thanks for all the feedback folks!

I've decided on the coast route. Don't want to bear the heat out east.

I'll have DeLORME books for OR & CA with me. Figure I'll point it S on the 101, and take it as it comes.

Anyone know how the cell service is on the coast?

The camping thing is still a bit up in the air.

Worst case I can find a KOA or something on Google local from my phone (wireless net access rocks!)
Old 06-23-2005, 05:27 PM   #25
Johnny Drunkard OP
sQuishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
You have a safe and pleasant trip now y'hear? Cant have you getting messed up with that gorgeous new haircut....

Yeah, nobody recognized me at BatFink's the other day. If it weren't for the Roy Orbison glasses, I'd almost look normal!
Old 06-23-2005, 05:41 PM   #26
batfink
squid vicious

Oddometer: 188
Quote:

Yeah, nobody recognized me at BatFink's the other day. If it weren't for the Roy Orbison glasses, I'd almost look normal!
Roy Orbison..... yeah....... I think it was those chemical gloves that did it though......
batfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #27
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,133
The coast will be a nice run down there. I did that a couple of years ago heading for Las Vegas and just had a blast riding by my self at my own pace. Hook up the N.O.S. for a quick blast around the campers that you will need to pass.

Paul and Blue

Another of the trees of mystery

The ave of the giants
Old 06-24-2005, 12:29 PM   #28
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback folks!

I've decided on the coast route. Don't want to bear the heat out east.

I'll have DeLORME books for OR & CA with me. Figure I'll point it S on the 101, and take it as it comes.

Anyone know how the cell service is on the coast?

The camping thing is still a bit up in the air.

Worst case I can find a KOA or something on Google local from my phone (wireless net access rocks!)
JD,

Have a great and safe ride. Enjoy, relax, take your time and get back in one piece.

Enjoy

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #29
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Johnny, sounds like a fun trip.

I'm a bit of a wimp, but I think you're going to find the coastal route a bit of an endurance ride, albeit one with gorgeous scenery and pleasant temps.

Assuming you cut over at Olympia, the coastal route is about 1075 miles all the way to Monterey. This route has a lot of traffic (especially RVs), lots of small towns, lots of road construction (probably including a few single-lane, wait for 20 minutes for a pilot car deals), and lots of police, so I'd be surprised if your rolling average is better than the high-40's, especially given the traffic around the Golden Gate and through SF.

Figuring 47.5 mph, you're talking about 23 hours on the bike. Add in a minimal two hours a day for meals, gas, and breaks, and you'll shut down at 7:30PM after rolling at 6AM. Not my cup of tea, especially camping, but you got to do what you got to do.

If you have an extra half day to cut the mileage by using one of the track days, that certainly helps. You could also make up time staying on 101 at Leggett rather than taking 1, but you'll miss Leggett to the coast, about 25 miles of "all time top-ten roads" in the world. My suggestion would be to turn at Leggett, do 1 for awhile, and then turn back east at Stewarts Point and do Skaggs Springs Road back to Healdsburg and 101. (www.pashnit.com details all these great CA roads.) The roll S of Bodega Bay on 1, while knock-your-socks-off scenic, gets very slow, especially in the late afternoon.

As I said, I'm a bit of a wimp about 14 hour days, so take this into account. You'll have a blast.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:59 PM   #30
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Johnny, sounds like a fun trip.

I'm a bit of a wimp, but I think you're going to find the coastal route a bit of an endurance ride, albeit one with gorgeous scenery and pleasant temps.

Assuming you cut over at Olympia, the coastal route is about 1075 miles all the way to Monterey. This route has a lot of traffic (especially RVs), lots of small towns, lots of road construction (probably including a few single-lane, wait for 20 minutes for a pilot car deals), and lots of police, so I'd be surprised if your rolling average is better than the high-40's, especially given the traffic around the Golden Gate and through SF.
I did the coast route in April to SF. It helps to get on the road EARLY. This lets you avoid the crush of RVs. Also, fill up the night before. One less thing for the morning - also some smaller towns have limited facilities that may not open until 8 AM or later.

Highway 1 near Ft. Liggett is nice, but it's slow and it's also very technical. Not recommended at the end of a 700 mile day. DAMHIK
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote