ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2005, 10:31 AM   #31
Johnny Drunkard OP
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by batfink
Roy Orbison..... yeah....... I think it was those chemical gloves that did it though......
Did I mention I've got a vinyl fetish...

Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:34 AM   #32
Johnny Drunkard OP
Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
The coast will be a nice run down there. I did that a couple of years ago heading for Las Vegas and just had a blast riding by my self at my own pace. Hook up the N.O.S. for a quick blast around the campers that you will need to pass.

Paul and Blue

Another of the trees of mystery

The ave of the giants
Yeah, I'm anticipating lots of RV's & traffic. I just gotta remember not too be in too much of a rush. The whole "its the journey not the destination" attitude.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:35 AM   #33
Johnny Drunkard OP
Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh23
JD,

Have a great and safe ride. Enjoy, relax, take your time and get back in one piece.

Enjoy
Thanks stosh. Cya when I get back.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #34
Johnny Drunkard OP
Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Johnny, sounds like a fun trip.

I'm a bit of a wimp, but I think you're going to find the coastal route a bit of an endurance ride, albeit one with gorgeous scenery and pleasant temps.

Assuming you cut over at Olympia, the coastal route is about 1075 miles all the way to Monterey. This route has a lot of traffic (especially RVs), lots of small towns, lots of road construction (probably including a few single-lane, wait for 20 minutes for a pilot car deals), and lots of police, so I'd be surprised if your rolling average is better than the high-40's, especially given the traffic around the Golden Gate and through SF.

Figuring 47.5 mph, you're talking about 23 hours on the bike. Add in a minimal two hours a day for meals, gas, and breaks, and you'll shut down at 7:30PM after rolling at 6AM. Not my cup of tea, especially camping, but you got to do what you got to do.

If you have an extra half day to cut the mileage by using one of the track days, that certainly helps. You could also make up time staying on 101 at Leggett rather than taking 1, but you'll miss Leggett to the coast, about 25 miles of "all time top-ten roads" in the world. My suggestion would be to turn at Leggett, do 1 for awhile, and then turn back east at Stewarts Point and do Skaggs Springs Road back to Healdsburg and 101. (www.pashnit.com details all these great CA roads.) The roll S of Bodega Bay on 1, while knock-your-socks-off scenic, gets very slow, especially in the late afternoon.

As I said, I'm a bit of a wimp about 14 hour days, so take this into account. You'll have a blast.

- Mark
Hey mark, thanks again.

Tentative plan is to run to Coos Bay or abouts on Day 1, this should be the longest day (still looking into camping options). Day 2 Coos Bay - Fort Bragg, found some free camping near Fort Bragg. Day 3 Fort Bragg - Monterey, I'll prbly take the route you recommended, time permitting.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:48 AM   #35
Johnny Drunkard OP
Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spowers
I did the coast route in April to SF. It helps to get on the road EARLY. This lets you avoid the crush of RVs. Also, fill up the night before. One less thing for the morning - also some smaller towns have limited facilities that may not open until 8 AM or later.

Highway 1 near Ft. Liggett is nice, but it's slow and it's also very technical. Not recommended at the end of a 700 mile day. DAMHIK
700 mile day?

I've been plugging the route into Yahoo & Google maps.

Astoria - Coos Bay is ~250 mi./~ 6 hrs., add ~200 mi./~4 hrs. f/ Kingston - Astoria.

Coos Bay - Fort Bragg ~350 mi./~ 8 hrs.

I've found Yahoo maps to be pretty reliable on distance & time. Do you think those numbers are way off?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #36
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
Ride Safe Johnny, see ya on the next one,

Chad

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:20 AM   #37
Johnny Drunkard OP
Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
Ride Safe Johnny, see ya on the next one,

Chad
Neah Bay
Old 06-27-2005, 12:40 PM   #38
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Great plan Johnny. You've worked up a good compromise. See you there (probably not, but you never know).

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:19 PM   #39
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard
Neah Bay
ride safe and get back so we can do this ride.......enough talk already

Enjoy

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:33 PM   #40
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,141
Neah bay, is there a date for this yet or are you blow holes still just talking
Old 06-27-2005, 09:37 PM   #41
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
Neah bay, is there a date for this yet or are you blow holes still just talking
Mid -July....as I recall. You in?????

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:39 PM   #42
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,141
Day ride or overnighter?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:06 PM   #43
janders
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
I just did this ride in reverse. A balls out blast down I-5 to San Jose to get to some work meetings in the bay area. Then goofing off up Hwy 1 and Hwy 101 through CA, OR, and WA over three days.

One word: brilliant.

Hwy 1 is stupid fun from just north of the Golden Gate bridge to almost all the way to Eureka. I loved that road.

Some other not-to-miss spots: Hwy 101 from Yachats,OR to Florence, OR. Cannon Beach, OR. Cool town. Lotsa money there. Gold Beach to the CA border.

Bah, it's all good. You're gonna have a stupid good time. Ride safe!

jason
Old 06-28-2005, 10:58 PM   #44
raindog
dharma bum

Oddometer: 16,993
Ok Johnny boy..My phone didn't ring today.also saw a blue weestrom heading north on 101 about 4:00pm as i was heading home from newport..could that have been you backtracking.....
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:21 PM   #45
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,292
Johnny, if you are pressed for time, consider these two options:

Burn down I-5 to Eugene, then cut over to the coast from there ( It's hwy 26, I believe) It's a nice stretch of road, pops you out at Florence, which is where the Oregon Coast gets interesting. North of Florence the OR coast is not as nice, and it'd be worth saving that time for other nicer roads, like 1.

-OR-

slab it via I-5 as far as Yreka, then cut over on hwy 96 to Arcata. 96 is one of the nicest MC roads ever. period. It's the Klamath River Hwy, and actually starts about 8 miles north of Yreka.

EIther way, both of these routes put in in Cali in a day, and should leave you plenty of time to get to Monterey.

If you can't hit 96 on the way down, try to work it in on the way back. I rode it on my way to RawHyde, and if we'd had the time, we would have ridden it again. On the same day.

Have a great trip.

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote