User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,587
Oil thread?

I love buying oil in bulk. It's not a lot compared to other shops but 110 gallons at a time is still cool for me.

Normally we buy Total synthetic in bulk not by the drum but this was overstock and about $3.60 a gallon less.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,064
My NAPA sells that stuff in the weights I can use for our VW's. $41 for five liters!
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,399
Mmmmmm oil......

we haz it...

The Reznor waste oil unit on the wall burns the used oil: free heat!! (kinda)....

Mobil 5-30 $4.10/qt delivered this month... we get the good stuff cuz we're too cheap take vehicles out of service before 200k... mostly F150s 350s and E350s.... They all seem to love the stuff... lower mileage trucks that call for 5-20 get Duralube synthetic blend at $2.16/qt

Crush the filters and recycle them....

We're tryin to save the planet.. one drum of oil at a time....

A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
We usually buy about 10 drums of 15-40 at a time. Its oil change season right now, we have a 250 gallon tank for our waste oil furnace and I have been keeping it full with just the oil I drain out of trucks. Have a stockpile of waste oil for the furnace and arent burning it, going to have to turn the thermostat up on the weekends!

Also picked up about 10 gas powered chevy kodiaks to service, for those we just bought a pallet of 5-30 in quarts.
dave186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
My NAPA sells that stuff in the weights I can use for our VW's. $41 for five liters!
My cost for 5 liters of the 5W-30 TDI oil is $45.00. Suggested retail is $82.00.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
My cost for 5 liters of the 5W-30 TDI oil is $45.00. Suggested retail is $82.00.
I'll give you the location of my source. Shipping might be an issue.

ps-Do you know anything about this new Castrol SLX that all the VW dealers are pushing? They only charge me $6/quart, so I can't imagine how little they are paying to get it.
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,461
Quote:

ps-Do you know anything about this new Castrol SLX that all the VW dealers are pushing? They only charge me $6/quart, so I can't imagine how little they are paying to get it.
I'm a sales rep for a local oil manufacturer. Heck, I work for the company and still only buy oil in quarts for myself.

Castrol SLX is the factory OEM supplier for VW. Our VW oil is just over $5 a quart. I would guess the Castrol is more, but sometimes it's hard to determine the true costs to a dealer, because of all the programs and discounts that may be involved. If they are charging you only $6 a quart, I doubt if they are making any more than a buck a quart. And I'm assuming you're talking about full syn 5w-40 that meets the 504/507 spec.
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
. And I'm assuming you're talking about full syn 5w-40 that meets the 504/507 spec.
Ahhhh... the rapid descent into maddness...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:

I'm not familiar with Castrol SLX. I choose oil by specification for the application and then package color and logo and how the name strikes me. Valvoline has always been a favorite. I'm also partial to Redline because they're generous with their stickers and they're local.

I use all the weird Euro brands at my shop because they meet all the multi digit long life specifications the car companies want and they come in those cool five liter bottles with the built in spout. I don't use the spout, I unscrew it with a big pair of channel locks and use a big funnel.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,917
Channel locks? Not a Knipex Cobra or something similar?

How gauche.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Channel locks? Not a Knipex Cobra or something similar?

How gauche.
Okay, they're Blue Point. I used channel lock as a generic term for slip joint pliers. Since our Snap-On dealer quit, I've been getting into Stahlwille. I have a couple sets of the Knipex Cobra slip joint pliers but not big enough to twist off the lid on an oil jug.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: