Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #16
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
What's a range report, and can you post one if you just shoot at cans in the woods?

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #17
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,757
I considered it, since it's about he same cost as the Browning Hi Power I did buy, but I was dissuaded by the cost of the ammo, 3 or 4 x time cost of bulk 9mm. Since I'm buying my first higher power autoloader, I wanted something cheap to feed at the range.

But that five seven sure has a heck of a round, I'd love to try one. With the recoil on it, it aught to be about the fastest thing around on a follow up shot.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
a65l
Wise guy, eh?

Oddometer: 1,274
I owned one for a while, couple of years or so. A year or so ago you could buy the blue tip ammo for about $22 a box down to $20 at the bottom end.

The pistol was very nice, fit and finish, the way it pointed. I thought it would feel "fat" given that the magazine alone is about as big as a 1911 grip. But no such problems... it actually felt like a Hi-Power. Swapping the magazine release to the other side was 10 minutes. Sights were very good. And don't let anybody tell you it's hammerless... it does have a hammer, it's just shrouded.

I had the chance to shoot the pistol with the blue tip, I forget what the designation was, and the hollowpoint load, not the restricted Gov't load or the frangible no lead load. I was a little dissapointed with the pistol's accuracy. I'm certainly no pistol virtuoso, but I can generally manage to keep it in the black. For some reason or other the F-N never seemed to settle down and shoot consistently. I wondered if it wasn't a break in thing, but I got close to 500 rounds thru it before I traded it off, and it never really started working for me.

But overall, it was an excellent pistol. No ambi safety, so for me, carrying locked and cocked just didn't work. And finding a holster to fit it was a bit of a challenge, I wound up modifying some 40mm greanade pouches for magazine holders. It IS a lot of cheddar for a pistol, but FN makes some nice stuff.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
One part of the firearms of Battlestar Galactica collection that I would one day like to acquire.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Other expensive handguns sidebar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Right now I can handle a 38 special out of a S&W model 52 but even then I'm only really getting one shot in any defense situation because I have to let the recoil bring the gun up a decent bit to lessen the load on my hands/wrists.
Maybe look into the Chiappa Rhino? The configuration of the firing cylinder and grip supposedly greatly reduces muzzle flip and felt recoil.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #21
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
Other expensive handguns sidebar:

Maybe look into the Chiappa Rhino? The configuration of the firing cylinder and grip supposedly greatly reduces muzzle flip and felt recoil.

But the reviews I have read (IIRC) state the trigger is gross - due to the design of the revolver.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #22
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
The idea (sharing ammo, a hi-vel .22) of the Five-Seven pistol and the PS90 appeal to me.

The reality of it is that there are problems - at least for me.

First, the ergos of the PS90 don't work for me - at all; the grip is just plain uncomfortable. If they had made it more conventional then I could maybe work with it, but every time I pick one up it just doesn't fit my hands. I like bullpups - a lot, but not this one.

The Five Seven pistol is okay, but again I don't care for the grip (it is not horrible like the PS90, but not good either, but I like my SIG better). The Five Seven is a combat pistol and the 5.7x28 appeals to me partly for small game hunting. The accuracy of the pistol is lacking for hunting - it just won't work for that.

Another company was making a Five-Seven auto pistol that supposedly was designed for accuracy, but I read they had nothing but problems in the few they sold.

So - either way, this combo doesn't work for me. I wish it did. I know that there is a company that makes a 5.7 upper for the AR that uses the PS90 mag (another nice thing about the PS90), and it reportedly works well, but I am not a fan of the AR platform (although I will probably own one someday just to have the versatility of all the uppers available for them, I did shoot them in the military so I have some hands on experience with them) and it isn't a bullpup.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #23
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
There's a lot of annoying little things that get in the way:
I don't reload, so my head was spinning in the middle of that video. But when he hit that 100 yard plate, I sobered up. Thanks for posting the link.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #24
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:

And I thought 5.56 and 7.62 were a pain in the ass !

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #25
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
But the reviews I have read (IIRC) state the trigger is gross - due to the design of the revolver.
The actuation design is... complicated, but the actual shooting reviews don't complain about that. I think most of the bad comments about the trigger came from people who fondled this cutaway demo and assumed that the production "real" guns would have the same feel...

Anyway, just a suggestion for Nikons.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #26
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
Thank you so much for this.

I, too, was contemplating the 5.7 pistol just because I could reload it...

Um, screw that sh*t. I reload .223 for my AR, and based on that video I agree that the 5.7 process is more for people who love reloading as a hobby (not SHOOTING as a hobby - people new to the processes need to realize the difference between the two types of people who reload). There are guys who love to get lost in the process of it, but I reload for the functionality of it.

Any round or weapon-platform that needs a special polymer coating on the brass isn't a platform I trust will be around a very long time just due to the costs of ammo and difficulty in reloading. This looks like a wildcat round that the current masses have been sold on just like popular wildcat rounds of the past that you just can't drive 10 to 30 miles to find ammo for anymore. Sure, that old stuff is out there, but you have to go through more to get it.

The .17 HMR is almost just as interesting to me, but for 50 rounds at $2 less than the cost of 500 .22 long-rifle rounds... both rimfire... it's just crazy. I think the thing to keep in mind about both the .17HMR and the 5.7 rounds is that they were born in a time of prosperity, and now when the going gets tough for the average shooter, these boutique rounds and weapon platforms end up being just kinda of dumb for anyone other than collectors or the wealthy.

Too, some guys get their 'fun' by owning weapons that they aren't shooting thousands of rounds out of each year. With all but two of my current weapons that isn't really 'fun' to me.

Quote:

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 09:43 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #27
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
This looks like a wildcat round that the current masses have been sold on just like popular wildcat rounds of the past that you just can't drive 10 to 30 miles to find ammo for anymore. Sure, that old stuff is out there, but you have to go through more to get it.

The .17 HMR is almost just as interesting to me, but for 50 rounds at $2 less than the cost of 500 .22 long-rifle rounds... both rimfire... it's just crazy. I think the thing to keep in mind about both the .17HMR and the 5.7 rounds is that they were born in a time of prosperity, and now when the going gets tough for the average shooter, these boutique rounds and weapon platforms end up being just kinda of dumb for anyone other than collectors or the wealthy.
Hmmm... interesting.

Thanks for posting that.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #28
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Thank you so much for this.

I, too, was contemplating the 5.7 pistol just because I could reload it...

Um, screw that sh*t. I reload .223 for my AR, and based on that video I agree that the 5.7 process is more for people who love reloading as a hobby (not SHOOTING as a hobby - people new to the processes need to realize the difference between the two types of people who reload). There are guys who love to get lost in the process of it, but I reload for the functionality of it.

Any round or weapon-platform that needs a special polymer coating on the brass isn't a platform I trust will be around a very long time just due to the costs of ammo and difficulty in reloading. This looks like a wildcat round that the current masses have been sold on just like popular wildcat rounds of the past that you just can't drive 10 to 30 miles to find ammo for anymore. Sure, that old stuff is out there, but you have to go through more to get it.

Too, some guys get their 'fun' by owning weapons that they aren't shooting thousands of rounds out of each year. With all but two of my current weapons that isn't really 'fun' to me.
A big difference it has from the .17 HMR is the 5.7 is a military round so reloading/lack of civilian buyers wont be a problem for production as the vast majority is being sold to governments.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 11:01 PM
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #29
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,264
My opinion is from only shooting a few rounds at the range with the 5-7. It is loud. Extremely loud. As in, way to fuckin' loud. No thanks, I'm deaf enough.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #30
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
My opinion is from only shooting a few rounds at the range with the 5-7. It is loud. Extremely loud. As in, way to fuckin' loud. No thanks, I'm deaf enough.
That may be the weapon systems, or muzzle brakes, they are being fired from, too. To me a .223 fired through most AR15's sounds far louder than it should... like louder than a .30-06. But through my buddy's bolt-action .223 I don't think it's nearly as offensive to the people next to it.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: