User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
Fireman1000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,280
Orlando in February

Got a question for you Florida boys. My family and I are heading to Disney World the second week of Feb. What type of weather should we expect? I'm in middle GA so the weather is unpredictable, but just trying to plan ahead. Thanks in advance!!

-Chad
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
montybones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Best time of year to visit FL in my opinion. The weather will be mild unless a front blows through and that will usually only last a day or two
montybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,899
Hi Chad, I'm from Macon originally (I think we've PM'd on here before) and live on the coast about 50 miles due east of Disney and the atttractions .

Like Montybones said, many consider that the best time to visit. This is the so-called "dry season" with almost no afternoon thunderstorms or scattered afternoon showers. Except for scattered showers with the aforementioned fronts that blow through. About as unpredictable as the weather in Gray, just a little further up on the temp scale.

Even though average day highs run in the low 70s and early evenings average in the comfy 60s while attractions are open still, we're seeing more extreme ranges around those averages. For example, in the last week or so we've gone from new record highs in the upper 80s in Orlando to freeze warnings as far down as Orlando within 3 days time. I would recommend expect the averages and bring clothes for mild to slightly warm temps, but bring jackets, pants, & hats in case you catch one of those fronts. Daytime temps after a cold front may still rise to high 50s to high 60s, but often breezy with the attendant wind chill. Of course, because I said that, it could be mid to upper 80s the whole time you're here.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about rain gear - Disney (and probably other parks) sell decent and compact rain ponchos fairly cheaply (last time I was there about 10 years ago).

If you plan to squeeze in a quick trip over to tour Kennedy Space Center, feel free to shoot me any questions about the area over this way - eateries, other side atttractions, etc. Post or PM me.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Fireman1000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys. Mark I remember chatting with you. Your daughter attended Georgia College? Anyway, thanks for the info, I've always visited Florida in the summer and around Christmas, but that was Pensacola. Never been to central FL in the Winter.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,899
Yeah, I'm the Ga College alumnus, though (BA, '76). My daughter (now21) used to spend lots of time staying with her aunt & uncle just off Lite & Tie Road during her early and mid teens when I was doing a lot of trailering up to work track days for STT and then jumping on the dual sport when I was done with an event and hitting the old stomping grounds or heading for the mountains. That area is the perfect base to head out from - in any direction.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Fireman1000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, 3 hours to the beach, or 3 hours to the mountains.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Got a question for you Florida boys. My family and I are heading to Disney World the second week of Feb. What type of weather should we expect? I'm in middle GA so the weather is unpredictable, but just trying to plan ahead. Thanks in advance!!

-Chad
Unless I have to wear a suit or moto gear or something, I pack to address any kind of weather I'm likely to encounter. Weather around here can be a bit unpredictable in Feb, from below freezing to 85F or so, pouring thunderstorms or blistering sun.

For packing, usually it's something like...Swimsuit, wicking socks, underwear, wicking long underwear bottoms, wicking T-shirts, cargo pants, heavy poly-fleece jacket for insulation, lightweight windproof/waterproof 2pc getup, fleece balaclava, waterproof ski gloves, waterproof hiking shoes, and polarized UVA/UVB sunglasses. I also pack chapstick and a sunscreen/repellent mix. This keeps me warm enough, cool enough, dry enough, and sheltered enough from sun/wind/bugs...in 10F-90F...rain, sleet, or snow.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote