User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,599
The back of the car looked like an ATM.

I saw one once, lifted with BFG Mud Terrains, show up at the tail end of a nasty ass trail. There was no way that could have or should have been where it was. Gotta be a great little car based on that one fact alone!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
The back of the car looked like an ATM.
That's about right.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
My parents had one of those when I was a teenager. I abused the piss out of that car and it kept on trucking. I can remember being out at 2 am with my friends, trying to find a slope steep enough to get the goofy angle meter on the dash to bury itself. Great cars; I still see a few around.

It's definitely a missing segment in the market, just like how there's not a current equivalent of those old Mercedes station wagons that were marketed to be super practical and economical load carriers.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #19
Speedo66 OP
Transient

Oddometer: 6,210
Wow, never expected 2 pages of love.

I bought mine because the 2 kids, 7 and 4, were complaining they couldn't see out of the backseat of our only family car, a '75 280Z 2+2 (slackers). That, and the fact they never plowed our street in Queens after a 2' snowfall, and I couldn't get off the block for 5 days.

I swore I'd never get stranded again, and looked for a 4wd, wound up with the Tercel. And I never did get stranded again.

Mine was a tan color, Sahara I think, and no, good looks weren't one of it's strong points.

When the body started to rust, which might have been a result of my wife getting hit 3 times in that car, I actually bought an SR-5 gold/brown 2 tone with a bad engine, and swapped mine into it. But that started rusting too, so I replaced it with an Izuzu Trooper which was a disaster, sold it less than 6 months later, and bought a new Mazda Protege LX in 1990.

Hey Toyota, I still want a new one.

Speedo66 screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 09:19 PM
Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:49 AM   #20
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,506
I learned to drive on one of these...

... Toyota Corrola AWD. It was a totally awesome tank of a car. Really, it was a great car.

So, yeah, Toyota has some greatness in them. And they just need to get in touch with their greatness again. Thankfully they asked Subaru for some help.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #21
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,559
The Suzuki SX-4 is/was similar in idea. Sadly, not too popular. I looked at one and found out that it won't fit a bicycle inside, upright, with only the front wheel off, so I didn't go any further.

M
Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #22
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
As far as 4 door wagon-esk cars.

They sell the Venza in either FWD or AWD, with a 4-banger or a V6. Unfortunately for the 4-banger, AWD, base model, you're still looking at 30k$...

Toyota is almost a luxury branding when it comes to any vehicle with utility. I think they make.... Seven SUV-like vehicles right now. 8 if you count the van. Plus 2 pickup trucks, with 3 different cab styles each, and then you can probably multiply that by 2 bed choices.

The cheapest Toyota 4 wheel drive, 4-door box (the Matrix doesn't have the the same kind of cargo capacity) you can get is the RAV4, which is $25,000. I remember in 2007, the FJ Cruiser started at $22,000... now it's been bloated up with more federal regulation, requiring shit like TPMS, more emissions junk, more air bags... etc, now the 2wd starts at like $25,000, plus more for 4wd and/or a rear diff lock.

I heard back in '07 that the folks who had the $22-23k 2wd FJ's with just the optional electric locker (i dont know if they still make them that way), found them surprisingly capable offroad, but it doesn't have the same plain jane look as the Tercel, though it's probably just as ugly.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #23
Galen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I had an '88 Tercel wagon SR5. I miss that car. The high roof gave me headroom, but the windshield could have stretched a little higher. Comfy seats. Lots of room. Cheap to drive. Used all 58 hp on every on ramp. Drifting it in 6" of snow when everyone else was stuck was priceless.Toyota needs another car like that. Fuel injection and a little more power and it would have been even more awesome. Replaced it with a Land Cruiser of the same year. Awesome, but not cheap.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #24
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,009
What was nice on those was having a transfer case, like Subaru used to have. You could drive around as a fwd car and then only put it in 4wd when necessary. My dad loved his Tercel wagon but it rusted out completely in short order.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #25
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,363
I crunched the transmission on mine when I got it climbing in the gravel pits.When I finished that...noticed a guy with a large 4x4 watching me. He should have joined the fun...! Lost 1st and 2nd so for the longest time drove it on 4wd only. That way I could go from the Lo 1st (only works on 4wd) right up to 3rd. Finally got a transmission at Pick & Pull, with near new clutch....near new complete brake system...near new shocks....CV joints etc...I think less than $100.00 total. A little...LOTS of cussing in my gravel yard and got the tranny in.

Not licensed so I don't drive it on pavement but I don't think I have taken it off 4WD in the last 5 years or so.

Starter was "clicking weakly only" yesterday, maybe because I only cleaned one battery pole last summer. But maybe the solenoid again not making contact. May have to add another nylon washer in it to re-establish the contacts. Another 0.05 cents fix that has lasted for years.

But for the doors there isn't one nook or cranny that isn't full of expansion foam, less dents in the running boards that way when I drive over large rocks and less broken plastics inside when I throw logs in there.Yep...all the glass is caged, even at Pick&Pull glass is expensive for some reason.

Better get the water out and refill with firewood.... my mobile wood bin, good for a week+. Less than 60 HPs of Toyota goodness, just have to use them HPs judiciously, I should install my tachometer someday.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #26
Speedo66 OP
Transient

Oddometer: 6,210
Cool, forgot about the low low, that made it a 6 speed, so ahead of it's time.

That's the same color mine was, but not an SR-5.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #27
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,360
Don't forget the equally quirky Civic 4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
The Suzuki SX-4 is/was similar in idea. Sadly, not too popular. I looked at one and found out that it won't fit a bicycle inside, upright, with only the front wheel off, so I didn't go any further.

M

That's the modern day version of the 'yota 4wd wagon. There's at least 3 of them in the parking lot where I work. They make a lot of sense for someone who commutes in snow country! Cheap to buy and fix and has decent MPG. Unfortunately 'zuki is pulling out of the US and the only alternative is the Impreza but I think it cost A LOT more money to buy than the SX4.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,641
I had a Honda Civic four wheel drive, 1985, iirc. It was the one that was front wheel drive, and it had a button to kick in the rear wheels. The later versions had realtime four wheel drive, which kicked in the rears when the front slipped, with a hydraulic mech. Like today's CRV.

Spacious inside, i put on studded tires when i lived in snow country. It was great with the fWd only, it would get loose on some icy slushy roads, would hit the button, and traction city.

Great car, grossly underpowered with something like 84 hp

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #29
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,641
That Honda had the CRX motor, 105 horses, and the realtime AWD.

It had a six speed, as did mine, iirc. Way cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Don't forget the equally quirky Civic 4wd

That's the modern day version of the 'yota 4wd wagon. There's at least 3 of them in the parking lot where I work. They make a lot of sense for someone who commutes in snow country! Cheap to buy and fix and has decent MPG. Unfortunately 'zuki is pulling out of the US and the only alternative is the Impreza but I think it cost A LOT more money to buy than the SX4.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #30
Davi5678
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
There is a 4wd wagon made by Toyota for the Japanese market called the Caldina

Mitsubishi make one called the RVR, I don't know if they still make a version.

Both have been updated over the years, but they don't sell them here in Australia either.
You can import them on the grey market but it's not really worth the extra costs and taxes.
I had a good look at everything in here http://www.j-spec.com.au
I was thinking about a Delica for a while, but that idea went into the too hard basket.
Davi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: