User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
RyeStrom OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
SA ride out of Chile

Hello all! I'm new to the forums! I'm a college student going on a study abroad to Chile 10MAY2014 to 17MAY2014; just a week. I'm having my Vstrom shipped to Santiago and ready to hit the roads (or lack thereof) by 18MAY and ride my way back to Georgia. Is the southern tip too cold during that time of year? Is 3 months enough time to hit the tip and head north through Brazil during the World Cup, take a boat from Colombia to Panama, and ride through CA and Mexico and back home by the middle of August? How much money should I ideally have available? Should I get vaccinations? Certain areas to avoid (bandits, militias, rebels, etc)? I'm going solo so should I get a satellite phone? I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the logistics involved in planning. Anyone with experience on a similar length/similar season/similar part of the world journey; if you have any advice please feel free to reply. Thanks!
RyeStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
RyeStrom OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Also, I have contacted several shipping companies and none have responded. Which companies do you recommend? It seems that my search results are turning up a limited number of potential shippers.
RyeStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
It depends on how you can handle the cold weather.
I don't find it worth it to rush in those 3 months, plus, I don't think it possible.

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Burro driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
If you don't get the answers you need here, try horizons unlimited .com they've got it all.
Burro driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,108
I'll answer a couple questions I had experience with on my 2 month trip.

Quote:
Is 3 months enough time to hit the tip and head north through Brazil during the World Cup, take a boat from Colombia to Panama, and ride through CA and Mexico and back home by the middle of August?
It's enough time but you may have to skip or shorten some of the activities you'd like to do. Even if you won't be able to spend as much time as you'd like, I'd still do it.

Quote:
How much money should I ideally have available?
Ideally? Millions of dollars. Realistically? Probably $60-75/day if you stay in cheapie hotels/hostels and eat mostly inexpensively. Chile was higher, Bolivia and Ecuador cheaper, Peru and Colombia in the middle. Mainland Mexico varies wildly but can be inexpensive. Baja is expensive. No experience with Central America.

Quote:
Should I get vaccinations?
I did and it seems like cheap insurance. Supposedly a yellow fever vaccination is required to get into and out of Bolivia but i was never asked for it. I went to a guy called "the traveling nurse" and he was up on all the requirements and recommendations. Whatever he told me I needed, I got. Like I said, cheap insurance.

Quote:
Certain areas to avoid (bandits, militias, rebels, etc)?
I'd rely on recent knowledge of people who traveled into the areas you're traveling. Internet is everywhere so use that to keep informed either here on advrider or Horizons Unlimited.

Quote:
I'm going solo so should I get a satellite phone?
Satellite phones were expensive last I checked (a few years back). Iridium was reliable but more expensive and Globalstar phone was less expensive but unreliable. I used a Delorme inReach paired with a smartphone as I could both receive and send texts in the middle of nowhere. Also run tracking. An SOS button is available for emergencies and being able to text back and forth is a BIG advantage over the SPOT tracker. I used Skype for calls and a buddy used Magic Jack. Both worked fine.

Can't help you on the season

Have fun.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeStrom View Post
Is 3 months enough time to hit the tip and head north through Brazil during the World Cup, take a boat from Colombia to Panama, and ride through CA and Mexico and back home by the middle of August? How much money should I ideally have available? I'm going solo so should I get a satellite phone? I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the logistics involved in planning.
You are likely feeling overwhelmed with the logistics because you are trying to fit waaay too much in to a very short window - 3 months is just not enough time for all of your ideas. I would suggest you limit the scope of what you hope to see and where you hope to ride, so that you can actually enjoy what you are experiencing. (Unless you want to try to set a distance/time travel record, then focus your planning efforts on improving the comfort of your seat.)

You will have to come up with your own budget ideas, but estimating US$50/day is a good start if you are not looking for luxury. In fact, in many countries, my wife and I were able to spend a total of about US$50/day (but it's not quite as easy as dividing by 2 to get US$25/day since we saved on lodging and fuel for 1 bike).

A satellite phone seems like an expensive and unnecessary item to me. I would invest that same money in Spanish lessons so that you can get help from locals, who can offer more direct assistance than anyone you could reach on the other end of the sat phone. If you want a phone, travel with a SIM card compatible phone and buy SIM cards in each country, or an international SIM card. If you want a safety net, have you considered a SPOT tracker?

Another thought, have you considered buying a traveler's bike here in SA? For about the cost of shipping your VStrom to Santiago, you could have a bike that's already here. Alternatively, travelers have bought bikes in Chile, then returned to Chile to sell. I know that's a big change from your original trip concept, but just a different option to consider that may fit a 3 month travel window.

Hope you find these comments useful.
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
RyeStorm,

Get in touch with us. We do bike and overland logistics all around the Americas.
Our home base is Miami, close to your state and the cheapest way to ship out of U.S.
If you are planning for May 2014, have in mind that your bike should arrive around the same time as you or after, better during your stay in Chile. Why? they have to give you a temporary admission permit and goes with you.

We have send hundreds of bikes and vehicles to South America; Actually, we are organizing a raid for the end of this year from Patagonia from Valparaiso, Chile down south. We have 2 KLR650 all equipped, available for those without bikes and also open to anybody with their own.
It will be published this coming week at the link below.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote