ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2005, 11:56 AM   #46
batfink
squid vicious

Oddometer: 188
One thing of note, unless someone's already done it recently - this route will not be pre-ridden so there may be some surprises we will have to negotiate. That will just make things more fun though! Given the good weather I reckon it'll be fine though.
batfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:12 PM   #47
ruppert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hood Canal Bridge Closures

One thing to note, although hopefully it won't interfere with this trip: WSDOT has two three-day closures planned for the Hood Canal Bridge in August. The first is Aug 11-15, and the second is Aug 21-25. However, they've stated that these dates are subject to slide in either direction depending on how their work schedule progresses.

Here's the link: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR1...ayclosures.htm

If you're coming from the Seattle side, best to keep an eye on those dates and plan an alternate route if necessary.
ruppert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #48
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppert
One thing to note, although hopefully it won't interfere with this trip: WSDOT has two three-day closures planned for the Hood Canal Bridge in August. The first is Aug 11-15, and the second is Aug 21-25. However, they've stated that these dates are subject to slide in either direction depending on how their work schedule progresses.

Here's the link: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR1...ayclosures.htm

If you're coming from the Seattle side, best to keep an eye on those dates and plan an alternate route if necessary.
The meeting spot is the Shelton Burgermaster, which is about equidistant from Seattle if you go north via a ferry and hood canal or south via 1-5, 8 and 101. I doubt that it'll cause too many problems.

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:05 PM   #49
ruppert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
The meeting spot is the Shelton Burgermaster, which is about equidistant from Seattle if you go north via a ferry and hood canal or south via 1-5, 8 and 101. I doubt that it'll cause too many problems.
Perfect!
ruppert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:52 AM   #50
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 263
Aside from the bridge being closed a couple of times, there are also some other issues with roadwork/maintenance being performed along the route, which I will be posting to a special "Info & Updates" page at the griptwister website very soon. This is where you will find information on known road closures or anything else that affects the Olympics Loop Tour. In addition, any fixes, patches, and last minute information regarding the Tour will be made available there. I'll post a link on this thread when it's up and running, or you can just check the website yourself occasionally. It's at http://www.griptwister.com

Dave

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:48 PM   #51
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
I've put this trip on my "social" calendar for August and looking forward to it. I have the 2005 "early" package and will be looking for any updates. Sure hoping this weather stays with us thru the month!

See you all at the Shelton Burgermaster on Friday the 25th. What's the clutch-out (departure) time?

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:44 AM   #52
Guaglione
Country mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK
I've put this trip on my "social" calendar for August and looking forward to it. I have the 2005 "early" package and will be looking for any updates. Sure hoping this weather stays with us thru the month!

See you all at the Shelton Burgermaster on Friday the 25th. What's the clutch-out (departure) time?
Don't show up at the Shelton Burgermaster on Friday. Were meeting ther Saturday Morning (the 27th), probably around 9am.

There are updates to the route, contact Dave at www.griptwister.com or send a PM to BajaDave.

Cheers,

Luca

Winston Churchill
Old 08-04-2005, 10:28 AM   #53
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Luca,

Thanks for bringing me bact to reality. Yes, Saturday morning. See you all then.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #54
Guaglione
Country mice

Disclaimer, Please Read

Ok, given some of the threads that have been going on around here vis a vis guides and tours and all that, I want to make one thing clear:

I have sort of hijacked this ride in Dave's absence, but (Adopt legal sounding tone here)
I am in no way "leading" this ride. I am going with some friends. Most of us have GPS's and will have the route loaded up, but I am encouraging everyone to have either a GPS, or a prearranged GPS buddy. I also encourage you to buy the package tour from Dave at Griptwister, even if you don't have a GPS, because were he leading this ride, it would be GPS mandatory. Plus, he's a great guy, it's a great product, and worth far more than the pittance he charges for it.

ok, just wanted to get that off my chest.

So Dave mentioned that the updated tour, now available, has new and improved tracks to make staying on course even easier, as well as a few more side routes for people on bigger DS bikes that may have trouble with some of the more technical parts of certain routes.

'nuff said.

Luca

Winston Churchill
Old 08-04-2005, 01:05 PM   #55
batfink
squid vicious

Lets get a roster together of everyone who is definitely going and those who might be going.

So far it's

Definitely -

Luca
Batfink
Bill

??

Maybe -

DRTBYK
Ruppert
??

Prolly forgotten people but now's a good time to start the roster...
Old 08-05-2005, 11:16 AM   #56
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

No maybe. I'm going. Been planning to do it this Summer anyway so I don't mind hooking up with a few others. I will study the "updated routes" when I get them since I have a BIG bike.

By the way, I appreciate Luca's note above regarding "ownership". I consider this more of a "chance meeting on the trail" ride.

Cheers. . .

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-05-2005, 06:00 PM   #57
batfink
squid vicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK
No maybe. I'm going. Been planning to do it this Summer anyway so I don't mind hooking up with a few others. I will study the "updated routes" when I get them since I have a BIG bike.

By the way, I appreciate Luca's note above regarding "ownership". I consider this more of a "chance meeting on the trail" ride.

Cheers. . .
I know there's a group that will be riding together, I had assumed that everyone would kinda be close together. If not though then hopefully we can meet up somewhere along the way. It'll be an awesome ride up there!
Old 08-05-2005, 06:44 PM   #58
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Okay, the webpage I eluded to in the earlier post is now in place. It will be the source for updated information and files for the Olympics Loop GPS Tour. Since my site uses frames, I'll have to direct you to click on the link on the upper left of the site that says "OLY GPS LOOP UPDATES"

Old 08-08-2005, 10:28 AM   #59
BoxerRob OP
Opportunity Knocker

Oddometer: 105
Best wishes to Dave. Take it real easy in your recovery. We want you to return to full riding madness...
Luca, I'm a 20% maybe, gotta work out a permission slip from work for Monday.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #60
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerRob
Best wishes to Dave. Take it real easy in your recovery. We want you to return to full riding madness...
Luca, I'm a 20% maybe, gotta work out a permission slip from work for Monday.
Thanks for the well-wishes Rob!

I plan to live vicariously through you guys for a while, so when you guys get back from this one, PLEASE do a detailed ride report... it'll aid in me in my healing process!

Dave