ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #61
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing
 
SOLO LOBO's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Shoreline, WA
Oddometer: 8,660
Just got back from riding sections B,C,D and G over the last four days!

I'll tell you what, the section after the big bike detour on route D, just after jumping back onto D sucked! The super-long, uphill, loose large gravel in mixed sun/shade caused around 5 crashes for the two of us on GS's.... now neither of us had full knobbies, but it sucked!

The creek crossing was cake (for the other two guys, I walked mine across like a sissy)....

Bring lots of water... it was freakin' hot!

With any luck I'll have some pix and a report up this week... but don't hold your breath!

SL
__________________
"punkrocks what it's all about" - J. Strummer



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:06 PM   #62
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard
 
BajaDave's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Washington
Oddometer: 263
Hey Solo Lobo!

I've been hearing a lot of that about that section. The detour is going to be extended to bypass that long, uphill section. It will be available later this week, and is incorporated into the current tour package.

I hope you enjoyed yourselves despite the difficulties!

David
__________________
Our Baja California Loop GPS Tour is now available and shipping!

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:32 PM   #63
Guaglione
Country mice
 
Guaglione's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Petaluma
Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
I'll tell you what, the section after the big bike detour on route D, just after jumping back onto D sucked! The super-long, uphill, loose large gravel in mixed sun/shade caused around 5 crashes for the two of us on GS's.... now neither of us had full knobbies, but it sucked!

The creek crossing was cake (for the other two guys, I walked mine across like a sissy)....

Bring lots of water... it was freakin' hot!

With any luck I'll have some pix and a report up this week... but don't hold your breath!

SL
I bit it on that same hill, twice I think, and ended up letting Dave ride the bike up for me. It's a tough one, even with knobbies.

Glad to hear you had a good time otherwise.
__________________
2011 KTM990ADVDakar Edition

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:55 PM   #64
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing
 
SOLO LOBO's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Shoreline, WA
Oddometer: 8,660
Thanks Dave,

Just to make it clear, I'd go ride it again today if I could, hill and all!

SL


Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaDave
Hey Solo Lobo!

I've been hearing a lot of that about that section. The detour is going to be extended to bypass that long, uphill section. It will be available later this week, and is incorporated into the current tour package.

I hope you enjoyed yourselves despite the difficulties!

David
__________________
"punkrocks what it's all about" - J. Strummer



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:00 PM   #65
Guaglione
Country mice
 
Guaglione's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Petaluma
Oddometer: 2,291
We are at T-minus one week and change

ok, who's in??

Chime in folks??

BatFink?
DRTBYK?

Beuller???
__________________
2011 KTM990ADVDakar Edition

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:36 PM   #66
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,191
After being so adamant about making this ride, I just found out that I will be out of the state on business for the next two weeks. This sucks. . .

Maybe I'll get this in before the rains come.
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:49 AM   #67
KingO
Quarter Moon
 
KingO's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
ok, who's in??

Chime in folks??

BatFink?
DRTBYK?

Beuller???
Hey Guys, I hope to try and do this ride, I have the GPS loaded with the routes.
and am working on getting my bike ready for hauling camping gear.

So are you big bike guys going to do route "D" again or do the by-pass? I'm game for something challenging!

KingO
KingO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:13 AM   #68
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing
 
SOLO LOBO's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Shoreline, WA
Oddometer: 8,660
KingO,

be careful what you ask for....... and good luck! I'd post a shot of me and my GS on the HILL in route D, but I'm too lame and don't have a smugmug acct.....

SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingO
So are you big bike guys going to do route "D" again or do the by-pass? I'm game for something challenging!

KingO
__________________
"punkrocks what it's all about" - J. Strummer



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:15 AM   #69
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
ok, who's in??

Chime in folks??

BatFink?
DRTBYK?

Beuller???

Depending on how this week goes I might do a "JD" and come meet you guys for a day this weekend.....if that is cool....
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:17 AM   #70
Guaglione
Country mice
 
Guaglione's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Petaluma
Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
KingO,

be careful what you ask for....... and good luck! I'd post a shot of me and my GS on the HILL in route D, but I'm too lame and don't have a smugmug acct.....

SL
Solo, email me the pic. I'd be glad to post it for you!!.


KingO, We'll post the Saturday am meeting place ASAP. Where are you at?

We'll see about the D route/ It all depepnds on how we feel, and how much of a detour the bypass is. If it's easy to try the hill and if it does not work, we back track, no problem. Otherwise, oh hell we'll have to see!!!


Cheers,

Luca
__________________
2011 KTM990ADVDakar Edition

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:33 PM   #71
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing
 
SOLO LOBO's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Shoreline, WA
Oddometer: 8,660
on the way Luca!




Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
Solo, email me the pic. I'd be glad to post it for you!!.


KingO, We'll post the Saturday am meeting place ASAP. Where are you at?

We'll see about the D route/ It all depepnds on how we feel, and how much of a detour the bypass is. If it's easy to try the hill and if it does not work, we back track, no problem. Otherwise, oh hell we'll have to see!!!


Cheers,

Luca
__________________
"punkrocks what it's all about" - J. Strummer



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #72
KingO
Quarter Moon
 
KingO's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione


KingO, We'll post the Saturday am meeting place ASAP. Where are you at?

We'll see about the D route/ It all depepnds on how we feel, and how much of a detour the bypass is. If it's easy to try the hill and if it does not work, we back track, no problem. Otherwise, oh hell we'll have to see!!!


Cheers,

Luca
Luca

I'm in Bremerton, last i read, the meeting spot was at the Shell/Burger Master in Shelton 9:00 am. Saturday. We could just as well meet in Hoodsport. let me know.


BK
KingO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:19 PM   #73
Guaglione
Country mice
 
Guaglione's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Petaluma
Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingO
Luca

I'm in Bremerton, last i read, the meeting spot was at the Shell/Burger Master in Shelton 9:00 am. Saturday. We could just as well meet in Hoodsport. let me know.


BK
It all depends on how many are going to show. If it's just you, me, Batfink and Gentry, perhaps us eastsounders can take the ferry over in the AM and meet you in B-Town, than head out from there.

Chad, we be glad to have you there. If you don't mind hanging out with a bunch of GS'rs
__________________
2011 KTM990ADVDakar Edition

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:02 PM   #74
Guaglione
Country mice
 
Guaglione's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Petaluma
Oddometer: 2,291
Solo Lobo - valiant slayer of the wild R80GS

__________________
2011 KTM990ADVDakar Edition

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:04 PM   #75
Guaglione
Country mice
 
Guaglione's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Petaluma
Oddometer: 2,291
Somehow this looks familiar

I think it's the exact same spot.

__________________
2011 KTM990ADVDakar Edition

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014