User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
monkey OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Need info on NZ made towbar bike carrier

Hi all, inmate from Sydney after some info. I'm after a motorbike carrier that attaches to the towbar of a vehicle. I have a WR250R and came across a NZ product from traxequipment.com.nz that is exactly what I'm after. It's called the SlipStreamer galvanized model, it's a lift - on style carrier that simply fixes on under the tow ball. I've done a search but cant find anything on them.The company is in Dargerville.

Anyway, if anyone knows anything about them, good or otherwise, I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks in advance, John.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Try this http://traxequipment.co.nz/slipstreamer.php

NZ url's are .co.nz, not .com.nz

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
monkey OP
Adventurer

Oops. Thanks for that, I can't post pics either. J
Old 05-29-2014, 02:03 AM   #4
andy mac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I've been using a bike carrier like the Slipstreamer channel carrier on a Camry stationwagon for 5 years.
The standard rear springs sagged too much when carrying a WR250R and the headlights were blinding over drivers so I fitted heavy duty springs.
The towbar rocks with a bike loaded so I tension the bike to the roofrack which locks it solid. A bit scottish but I do 5000km/year with no issues.
You do notice the weight on the rear when cornering so the signposted corner speeds should be observed.
The bike obscures the car taillights & numberplate so I use a lightboard.
My carrier has a ramp, I wouldn't want to lift up a muddy bike at the end of a long day.
A financial advantage when travelling on sea ferries is there are no additional trailer fees.
andy mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:29 AM   #5
monkey OP
Adventurer

That's a good idea using the roofrack as a support Andy. The spring issue is something I've looked at and I'd probably go with air - shocks. I know what you mean about lifting it on too, that dust mate! I guess your carrier was the Hayman Reece style? Towing a trailer for 1 bike on an extended roadtrip is something I'd avoid. I fired off an email to Trax but nil response yet. John.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:04 AM   #6
andy mac
Adventurer

John the Trax carrier is also available on Trademe ttp://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/stands-lifts-ramps/auction-734885633.htm though I would think shipping to Oz would be too expensive. A good engineer would be able to build you a custom carrier or adapt a Motow or Newlite carrier to a standard towball attachment?

I've just loaded my bike and will be driving 400km tomorrow to go riding for the long weekend.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
monkey OP
Adventurer

Andy, I looked at Trade me and couldn't see that lift - on type carrier. There's not too much detail on that site either but can you clarify does your carrier (or car) have that Hayman Reece 2' inch receptor? The carrier with the ramp, like yours, would be ideal. The hitch dictates which type of carrier I have to use, I have the old fashion towbar. John.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:40 AM   #8
andy mac
Adventurer

I meant the channel type not lift on. But it is probably Trax because they are also in Dargaville which isn't a large town.
My car does not have a Hayman Reece hitch, the carrier socket plate is permanently attached by the towball nut. I suspect my carrier is an early Trax it is a similar design but has a galv channel not alloy.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
monkey OP
Adventurer

Thanks Andy, I finally got onto the Trax mob and have confirmed they still make the same animal as yours, I.E. the style with the traditional mount. I've sent photos of my towbar and they're going to confirm if it'll work.
Thanks John.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:37 PM   #10
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Hope the link works..............

http://www.myrides.co.nz/slipstream-...idp615849.html

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 06-05-2014 at 11:42 PM
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,383
I've been looking at the trax carrier as well (moving to small house and trailer is a bit too big..), a couple of points to consider:

Vehicle towbars are rated for a maximim download force, generally (unlesss stated otherwise by the manufacturer) between 5 to 10% of unbraked townig capacity. Usual car towing capacity is 750kg, max vertical load 75kg.
A trail bike weighs about 110Kgs, the carrier @ 20Kgs, total around 125kg, it's very overloaded!
I talked to my towbar manufacturer, his comment was something along the lines of "plan on replacing the towbar and parts of the car it's attached too".... (Honda Accord wagon). I have checked this comment with a few others and that has been the comment, it's too much load for a car towbar.
I talked to Trax about it and they agree (very helpful guys) and concede they have intended the carrier for 4x4s and the like, for example a Ford Territory has a 160kg max towbar downforce as standard so that's ok.

Short answer, it's a good product fitted to a vehicle capable of towing 1500kgs unbraked, ute, 4x4 or similar. Family car, good luck (Andys experience not withstanding).
Old 06-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #12
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
I've been looking at the trax carrier as well (moving to small house and trailer is a bit too big..), a couple of points to consider:

Vehicle towbars are rated for a maximim download force, generally (unlesss stated otherwise by the manufacturer) between 5 to 10% of unbraked townig capacity. Usual car towing capacity is 750kg, max vertical load 75kg.
A trail bike weighs about 110Kgs, the carrier @ 20Kgs, total around 125kg, it's very overloaded!
I talked to my towbar manufacturer, his comment was something along the lines of "plan on replacing the towbar and parts of the car it's attached too".... (Honda Accord wagon). I have checked this comment with a few others and that has been the comment, it's too much load for a car towbar.
I talked to Trax about it and they agree (very helpful guys) and concede they have intended the carrier for 4x4s and the like, for example a Ford Territory has a 160kg max towbar downforce as standard so that's ok.

Short answer, it's a good product fitted to a vehicle capable of towing 1500kgs unbraked, ute, 4x4 or similar. Family car, good luck (Andys experience not withstanding).
This is how I got around it....
The bike dosn't need a rego or WOF... Checked it out with the AA...
It's classed as a tow dolly.... The towed vericle is not relieing on its
own brakes or steering... Max tow speed is 90kph...
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/62...90/24/9xr3.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/62...0/713/6ki0.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/62...90/35/yzp1.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/62...0/809/nzr9.jpg

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 06-10-2014 at 12:21 AM
Old 06-10-2014, 12:24 AM   #13
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,383
Thanks Pete, that's a great idea although I'm not sure the trail bike would enjoy the abuse or the tire wear, if I wasn't dealing with 130km round trips and motorways I would consider it.
Currently looking at small and foldable trailers or buying a 4x4 (I'm sure I need one of those in the city).
Old 06-10-2014, 12:39 AM   #14
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

have yer seen these....

http://www.armitagetrailers.com/biketrailers.htm

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 06-10-2014 at 12:56 AM
Old 06-10-2014, 04:33 AM   #15
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
Not even that; on my Subaru Legacy I've got a 1500kg towbar (1200kg is the lightest) and it's only good for 50kg downforce, as are most traditional passenger car towbars. Many have a sticker stating this. That means that they hit or exceed the limit with 3 mountain bikes. I've just bought a 4-bike rack that has a strap going to the wagon roof; this stops the tow bar flexing - even with only one bike loaded. For a motorcycle you need the stronger hitches, not just the 1500kg tow rating.

I'm following this discussion with interest as I have just lost my work wagon (getting a new shopping trolley) so have to re-think my options. My trailer is also getting a bit past it, so a hitch rack on a SUV may be an option.

My next door neighbour made his own rack, simply welded & bolted to the back of his ancient Prado.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote