User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
Raymond3 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Finding campgrounds

I just spent a week on the bike going from oregon into Mexico now stopping in Texas for a while. for the most part, I stayed in motels because I had atrouble finding campgrounds.

I plan to spend a couple more weeks traveling through the west and southwest and would like to camp as much as possible.

How can I find campgrounds? I've looked online and found a bunch of campgrounds that are mostly for RV's. I can't seem to find a map of good tent camping sites.

In oregon there are a ton of forest service campgrounds. Is there a map online or GPS POI files for other states?
Raymond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
thirsty 1
Rider

Oddometer: 267
Do you have a "smart phone"?
Old 05-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
Raymond3 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirsty 1 View Post
Do you have a "smart phone"?

Yes, I have an iPhone.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
DaMonk45
I B Da Monk

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond3 View Post
I just spent a week on the bike going from oregon into Mexico now stopping in Texas for a while. for the most part, I stayed in motels because I had atrouble finding campgrounds.

I plan to spend a couple more weeks traveling through the west and southwest and would like to camp as much as possible.

How can I find campgrounds? I've looked online and found a bunch of campgrounds that are mostly for RV's. I can't seem to find a map of good tent camping sites.

In oregon there are a ton of forest service campgrounds. Is there a map online or GPS POI files for other states?
We Camp here is a great app.
I have used it a lot.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #5
Raymond3 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMonk45 View Post
We Camp here is a great app.
I have used it a lot.

Thank you!
Old 05-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
thirsty 1
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond3 View Post
Yes, I have an iPhone.
ALLSTAYS CAMP AND RV APP.

It costs like 10 bucks or something I've used it for the last 3 years. It's a good one !

thirsty 1 screwed with this post 05-08-2015 at 05:17 PM
thirsty 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #7
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,468
Lots of camping apps on at the online Apple store. Just typing in camping and you'll get a few. AllStays is a good one, as already recommended.
Mastery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #8
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
I usually find campgrounds by looking for the campground symbol on my paper state highway map. Many state give out free maps that are very good and have this information. If I can't find a free map easily I buy one. If buying, Rand McNally is the brand that seems to have the best campground info. Or you can just ask a local.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #9
thirsty 1
Rider

I hope that helps you out some . If you need to shower after several days of camping the RV places usually have pay showers .25 cents. I'm going to give the WE CAMP one a try. Thanks DaMonk45!
Old 05-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #10
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 12,045
Most half decent paper maps have the TENT symbol on them.
At least you could stop at any KOA and get their free map book...shows every KOA in the USA and it's a fair decent map book too...average $26 for a tent but they do have nice facilities, always clean hot showers, often good eats and sometimes a pool and even a movie.
Another way to do it is watch for the BROWN signs on roads..these are information signs and will show the TENT symbol.
OR..you could buy a $80 GPS and it will show you all the information you can use and more besides.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,391
Aren' t you glad you chose hotels in Mexico, considering the $26 fee for a typical fancy US campground? Bet you found that was a typical HOTEL price there , if you took the time to look around that is.
There are lots of options for free or very low cost camping out west, don't feel like you need to check into an official,gated and supervised campground every night Do you really need to be elbow to elbow with other campers and inhale campfire smoke ?.
Lots of small towns are still quite friendly and have grassy areas at the fairgrounds where you could camp for free or just a few dollars and with public washrooms available. Head for the livestock display sheds and you can frequently pitch a tent under a roof or just roll out the sleeping pad. That is very convenient if there is a chance of rain.
(Cow chips are really not a big hazard as the annual fair or rodeo does a good job of cleaning out those areas).
And of course stealth camping is still an option in places where the plague of overpopulation has not yet struck in full suburbanificative force.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #12
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirsty 1 View Post
ALLSTAYS CAMP AND RV APP.
I've used this APP all across the continental US and have found it to be a great tool!
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:05 PM   #13
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 12,045
It depends on a lot of factors. Age. Disposition. Married. Single. Money. Health. Sex. No sex. Sleeping in a pig pen for four nights running with no shower and your 65 year old wife can get a bit edgy. Never second guess anyone's ride.....stealth camping doesn't work too well with some of these ingredients....Sojoerd Bakker...ride your own ride and don't knock anyone else's.

suburbanificative no such word
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #14
Junyah
@ the speed of plaid

Oddometer: 995
ioverlander.com is a good one for more out of the way places, though it is geared towards campers and trucks. Not a lot in the states though.
Junyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #15
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,391
Hey Tucker's , I wasn't knocking anybody else's preferences , simply offering another way of approaching the problem with a feeble bit of humour .I was certainly not saying that this method must be used by you
or anyone else. For some people it can work , others would not enjoy it , try whatever works .And I certainly would not suggest that the described methods ought to be used every day.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote