User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
Spad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Trip maps

I'll be taking a trip from VT through NY, NJ, MD, DE, WV, VA and PA this summer, and am looking for mapping suggestions. I'm not a GPS-enabled rider. The routes are fairly fixed - this is for inside the tank bag, not for planning, though I want the maps to have enough info to be useful should I want to go off-route. If I could use Google maps or similar then print at a scale I like onto tyvek with waterproof ink I'd be in good shape, but I don't see that as an option.

Right now I'm considering:

- gutting a Rand McNally Road Atlas for the relevant states (scale may be too large);
- getting the DeLorme gazetteers (the scale may be too small, and might require a trailer to haul them all around);
- getting folded maps for each state at a larger scale than the atlas and refolding them to fit my tank bag.

I see that there's an Aquaseal product to put on paper maps that might help, too, for water protection as well as preventing them from falling apart through use. Thoughts? I'll take suggestions on whose maps are the best, how to organize them, whatever might be useful.

- Spad
99 DR350SE
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
To keep folded maps dry, when in a tank bag/map case.....

Simply put the folded map into a large clear plastic Baggie and seal. Then slide it into the map case. It will stay dry in the hardest of rain, be much easier to slide into and out for the map case, and have much less wear and tear on them as well.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Folded maps for each state should be fine ... I usually grab the freebies at visitor centers - but I like the newer readability of the Rand McNallys that you can buy.

Simply refold to the area you need and keep the others in the tankbag.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:46 AM   #4
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,671
There are clear map cases you can buy but easier to store your map & have a turn list in tank bag view if not GPSing it.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,747
I don't if they have them for eastern states. But out west maps sold by GTR are really good. They show lots of dirt roads and all paved roads.

They only cost ~$3 each - one foldup map per state.

They also have some color coded topo information that is rarely useful.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
Spad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
GTR and Butler are currently West-only, though Butler is slated to release their SE map pretty much the day I leave (the other three, coming later, would cover my trip nicely). So it goes!

I like the idea of the turn-by-turns next to the map in the tank pocket, and will try it. It'll all be on the street, not dirt, so there won't be a tremendous amount of turns and map-checking will hopefully be infrequent and at stops.

- Spad
99 DR350SE
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #7
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Ez

Put a 3x5 card with shorthand instructions in the tank bag pocket. Example:
Hwy 381N , 41 miles - LT Hwy 4, 11 miles
RT RD 104E , 7 Miles - LT RD 23NE, 23 miles
RT RD 24NE, 4 miles - LT RD 99N, 2 miles to Bob's Town
And so on to your destination. Use a marker so writing is easy to read at a glance. Use the back of the card for the next leg of travel. Carry extra cards and make new ones as you go.

Mark your map with arrows and route info, highlighting major deviations from themain roads/hwys. This should match your 3x5 card. Put the card somewhere in the map pocket so it doesn't cover your route on the map.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #8
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 778
Aaa

AAA has free maps if you are a member

Rockydog woofs the isles, British isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote