Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #136
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
LDF & I are definitely coming from the latter perspective, but I totally get those for whom it's all about (and mostly only about) the riding. There's plenty of room for everyone out there (and here on ADV), though mixing the two mind-sets on a group trip might lead to misunderstandings, unrealistic expectations, and tears.
Amen to that Dave. I've had people go on some big trips I planned only to find out their idea of camping was really camping only if necessary,and eating at a restaurant when ever possible. Weekend ride with a mixed crowd-no big deal,but something like the TAT-you really need to be like minded.
That one person I shared that with for over 25 years was tragically killed in a tree cutting accident less than 2 mths ago. We had just come back from a 8 day trip on our road bikes to WV & OH. Sincerely the nicest person I've ever know. We camped out every night in 22F-24F weather,and never a complaint. Just happy to be laughing by our campfire drinking vodka & tang. Food didn't matter,bad weather wouldn't damper our spirits, he was a great friend,sad to think we'll never go riding again. On a positive note he was a great dad,always enjoyed life and lived it to the fullest, and I was blessed to have called him my friend. I know Joe had no regrets,and I'll be riding that TAT with a big smile every day thinking of him-cause I'm not going to have any regrets either.

leftystrat62 screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 03:57 PM
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #137
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Alright guys. I have read up to here and now i am chiming in. My friend Roaming Art and I are planning to do the TAT this June with an extra Georgia part stuck in there to make it an official coast to coast. We started a thread on TAT planning, but I like the idea of throwing all the ideas into one thread so we will start over here.

Heres the bike I plan on taking and myself. I haven't read any thing on a big KTM on the trail, but I am going to give a shot. Not to worried about it.

This is Art and his KLR

We have been planning this for the last year and have 6 more months of planning and prep. Hopefully I can weed out or add too by reading everybodys post here.

As of now nothing worries me like gear or weather or money, but what does is navigating. He will be buying the roll maps and I will have a Garmin Zumo 660. I really want to figure this thing out. Basecamp has gotten the best of me a bit. I am hoping to meet up with a fellow inmate here shortly and sit down with some beers and go over it.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #138
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:

I've actually noticed an interesting phenomenon. It seems that folks get into dual-sport adventure-touring from one of two directions. On the one hand, you have guys who have tons of off-road dirt experience, racing enduros and motocross, but maybe not so much experience camping in the back-country. Maybe they're getting a little older, and aren't so much into the competition aspect of off-road riding, but still trailer their dirt bike far and wide to ride trails. For them, a trip like the TAT is a way to ride dirt all day, every day for days on end. Period. The idea of sullying that experience with camping is just a bizarre concept. Actually, I think Sam himself is of this philosophy.

Then they're other folks, who have spent loads of time back-country camping, hiking, whatever, and have outdoor survival and wilderness skills, and also have some history riding motorcycles. Maybe they had a sport bike (or dirt bike) when they were younger, or have done some touring on a cruiser, or commute, or whatever. They look at dual-sport riding and adventure touring as a way to incorporate a motorcycle into their back-country trips -- as a tool to get them places to camp and explore and see and experience that they otherwise wouldn't be able to, even with an ATV (no range), or wouldn't be the same in a 4WD.

LDF & I are definitely coming from the latter perspective, but I totally get those for whom it's all about (and mostly only about) the riding. There's plenty of room for everyone out there (and here on ADV), though mixing the two mind-sets on a group trip might lead to misunderstandings, unrealistic expectations, and tears.
All my camping experience is in an RV.. but I'm looking forward to tents off a bike. I'm not former comp type off road racer either. I've ridden either cruisers or sport bikes nearly all my riding life. I always wanted a simple bike to explore with and finally got one. Once in dirt for the first time I was hooked. Always loved bikes, always loved travel- dual sporting is my ticket to both
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #139
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Did you check out my MSR Hubba Hubba I show pics of it on the scale-super easy to set up? I've owned some nice tents over the years,and always bought ones that you would use backpacking. I think the Hubba Hubba is my best purchase yet. I have 1,2,3, &,4 man tents at home. The hubba hubba is a 2 man that fits one person plus gear nicely.
If you go to a web site like REI-they have all the weight specs on their tents. I've noticed some web sites differ a bit on their specs when comparing the same item,so don't always take what you read for the tents weight as "gospel" truth. That's why I'm showing my gear on a scale. Also note I have my tent as well as the "footprint"and a stuff sack which adds a little more to the listed weight of the tent that you'll read on a web site.
In backpacking & climbing the saying is "every ounce counts". I'm not as concerned on my bike,but if your conscious with all you carry-I'm sure it will make a difference. At least that what I tell myself every time I buy something
Am considering the Hubba hubba and a few others. Thanks for the good info
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #140
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Hi Everyone; I will be looking to run the TAT this year, sometime around June but I am pretty open to the dates right now. If anyone is insterested in running it with me, please let me know; however I cannot do the entire thing this time around, so I will need to jump off about a week to 10 days into the trip and head back Northeast.

I've started prepping last year and my KLR is just about ready for the trip and obtaining spares as well; I am pretty much ready to go at this point; just need to get the maps/roll charts etc and finalize the planning/routing.

Camping is no problem, I have MC camping gear, motels are no problem or a combination there of. Almost 30 years riding, looking to ride with like minded/like skilled riders please.

Anyone, if interested, please post or PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #141
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Pretty good adventure you had in the Tacoma there Nate! Run thru most of it quickly and it looked fun. I liked the take it as it comes attitude that you two seemed to have.

Interested in your Georgia part. There isn't too much as far as riding down towards the coast of GA. I would think starting at the NC coast would be more scenic. Either way, make sure you document the journey well for all of us. If you do decide to route thru GA and for some reason go thru Cartersville north of Atlanta then you will have a back yard to camp in or spare bedroom to sleep in.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #142
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
Weather in June

As usual lots of folks gearing up for the TAT this year.
I've seen some very good prep work going on.

One thing about going in June is-----chances are almost 100%------you will not get over some of the high passes-----not just in Colorado----but Oregon also.

There are 3 stories on my website of me riding the TAT----one long ago riding the Eastern TAT------2 last year riding newer routes in Mississippi and Teneesee.

But I think the most informative and entertaining one is when me and a buddy rode the Western TAT.

For you all planning I would read it------lot's of snow---lot's of by-passing.

The story is Here: http://www.bigdogadventures.com/TATWest01.htm

And for those asking when the snow will be off the passes--------I must repeat-----------nobody knows-----it is never the same. The weather man doesn't know------I don't know---people that have ridden may tell you ----but they really don't know----god doesn't even know-------only you will know when you get there.

Better chances of not getting stopped by snow after the middle of July---then again it can snow on those passes any time of the year.

We followed in this wall of snow for miles near California pass and finally had to turn back when we ran into the snow machine that was plowing the pass----as he wasn't quite finished yet. We were riding on wet ice we we finally had to turn back and I was afraid the water would re-freeze before we could re-treat and we'd be camping out here.

This was Indigo pass in Oregon-------it got much worse further up the trail and we had to retreat and go around the pass
which was almost a blessing-------as we got to see crater lake-----which by the way had just been plowed to the lake about 2 days before we got there.

And finally the Pacific ocean.

BigDog
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #143
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
BigDog's pic of Indigo Pass in OR is exactly what it looked like in late July of 2011, but in our case, all the way across the pass. We made it. A week or so earlier, maybe not. Same for California pass, but plowed all the way across (very recently) in mid July. Going over Indigo I thought of Mark and his having to turn around. The snow was about a foot deep over the road but we could forge thru or dodge it along the edge. Long way back down for a go around! That was a very nice section to ride though; the forests in Oregon are spectacular.

As to camping, the only really good reason to not do it is to lighten the load for some of the more challenging sections. If you pack really light, and you have to work at it, keeping any top duffel minimized, you have the optimal way to do it. I'm looking at replacing my 5 pound two man tent with a one man that is just over two pounds, 16" long instead of 22", and going with a much lighter and smaller packing air mattress for this year's rides. Consider hanging out on Ebay or ADVR flea market to find some cheap used stuff. You will be well rewarded, and your bike will thank you. If you want to make miles every day, you absolutely must camp when the day runs out and you are out there somewhere on the trail.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #144
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
It is a crap shoot like Mark said. Last year everything was open by the end of May. The year before, not so much. You can start watching the passes here: http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

We are planning for an early June trip starting in Clayton, NM. The date is tentative on the passes being open.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #145
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Colorado passes

Made all of the passes in Colorado last June with no problems. But as has been said by others, it is simply a crap shoot. I would always try to make those places late June to early July when planning this far out. Just my thought.
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #146
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
As of today the Northern and Central Sierras are at 130% +/- of of normal snow pack. While this has no direct bearing on the TAT, it usually corresponds with snow pack the Cascades and runoff in Northern Nevada. If I was a betting man I'd say June may be a tough go this year
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #147
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Wow, sounds like it! Maybe shoot for July ... But don't skip them.
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:36 AM   #148
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Another site I like to look at is: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ There are certain places that have snow monitoring equipment and you can see what the depth is on any given day. Historical data is also available. There is one site in OR where on 5/1/12 the snow depth was 43". 3 weeks later, it was all gone. Plans are just that. Plans. Subject to change. Being retired means that I can go at the drop of a hat or change my plans at the last minute if the need arises.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #149
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
this is the bomb

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/

download the .kmz file, open in google earth, select the snow depth overlay. Export your route from BaseCamp as a track. Open that in google earth. Trace along your route, and see in real time where there's still snow.

Example here.

And another here.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 05:10 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #150
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Quote:
http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/

download the .kmz file, open in google earth, select the snow depth overlay. Export your route from BaseCamp as a track. Open that in google earth. Trace along your route, and see in real time where there's still snow.

Example here.

And another here.
Oooh, I like that! Thanks for the heads up.

John