Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #496
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanman View Post
Thanks for the reply. My backup gps was my first one, a 60cx, but it died and I got a zumo 660. But I use motionx on the iPhone so that is sort of a backup.

If funds were unlimited I'd buy both but I'm really needing to do this on a shoestring.

Maybe I'll buy roll charts just for some western states like Oregon where everyone has trouble...

Thanks again.
I took an extra micro SD card with me as a backup for my Garmin Montana (GPS) programming. My buddy (Kirkster) was my backup GPS. The larger maps you get with the roll chart really do a good job of keeping you oriented. I would have never made it using just the roll charts. In order for the roll charts to be of any use, you need the ability to set two different odometers to a specific mileage. Resetting to zero is not good enough. If you are going alone, at least get generic paper maps. There are places from Utah to Oregon I would not want to be without the ability to navigate. It is possible to run out of fuel before finding civilization.

Oregon is not a problem unless you insist on staying on the "one true" TAT. Such a path does not exist. When you are lost using the GPS, just zoom out- find a road that intersects with the GPS track- and navigate to it. That technique really works anywhere on the TAT (Except for the UTAH canyons where you might have to scale a 200' rock wall to get to the road you missed. Don't ask how I know this.....)
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #497
Boxall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Thumb Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
keeping in the spirit of the "logistical side" of this thread,i thought i'd give an update now that i've completed the tat.

Rhode island to oregon: Aug 11-aug 31 (21days),5024 miles, one flat

left on new dunlop 606 rear, pirelli mt 21 front--made it to moab for new tires,but needed a new rear before i reached co. Carried about 90 lbs total of gear/food/water(i weighed about 185lbs at start-finished about 165lbs) kept tire pressure around 22 psi most of the time.

10 nights in hotels- $ 662
11 nights camping-$37
food/water-$225
gas $ 370

i'm sharing this information because this is some of the info i was looking for prior to my trip that can be difficult to find in tat rr's-hopefully it's helpful:

this is great information!
Boxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #498
Gravetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
If you go for it solo be prepared for the mental challenge of doing it all alone for so long
Do you mind speaking a bit more on this?

I really want to solo it (wouldn't mind meeting up with a few riders here or there) as I really like being on my own schedule and just feel the challenge would be good for me.

Also, I see you camped and stayed at hotels. I love to camp (backpacking) and would want to as much as possible. Where you simply wanting a room or just couldn't find a campground on the hotel nights?

Great thread, thank you.
Gravetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #499
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravetter View Post
Do you mind speaking a bit more on this?

I really want to solo it (wouldn't mind meeting up with a few riders here or there) as I really like being on my own schedule and just feel the challenge would be good for me.

Also, I see you camped and stayed at hotels. I love to camp (backpacking) and would want to as much as possible. Where you simply wanting a room or just couldn't find a campground on the hotel nights?

Great thread, thank you.
Don't worry about being solo. If you're an introvert like me, it's freakin HEAVEN. Just make sure you're well versed in repairing your bike yourself and prepared for all things.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:43 AM   #500
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,628
if you do it alone (like I did) carry a spot tracker. theres some areas where you are miles from anyone, & its really rough. If you get hurt, you'd be screwed.
I wouldnt suggest doing it alone, but at least spend the $ for a Spot.
Theres alot of places out west that a cell doesnt work, but verizon has the best coverage

Doug

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #501
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
if you do it alone (like I did) carry a spot tracker. theres some areas where you are miles from anyone, & its really rough. If you get hurt, you'd be screwed.
I wouldnt suggest doing it alone, but at least spend the $ for a Spot.
Theres alot of places out west that a cell doesnt work, but verizon has the best coverage

Doug
Get that SPOT and carry it on your person. If you have get thrown and are seperated from the bike and injured badly your may not be able to get to a SPOT mounted on the bike. There was a guy who got thrown off his bike when he landed one ledge below the road while his bike landed about 80 feet below him in the creek bottom. He banged up pretty good but was able to crawl back up to the trail where is riding buddy came back and found him. If he had been solo he may have been there a long time before being found.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #502
Gravetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
I'll bring an inReach or Spot even with riding with someone.
Gravetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #503
rbrhsv
AR Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 50
Thumb GPS and maps

I second the advice of GPS tracks plus maps.
I tried using the roll charts for 1 day last year on the eastern section - then gave up. I used the GPS tracks exclusively after that, and glanced at the map occasionally to confirm turns and major intersections.
I found the roll charts to be a real pain - they kept jamming in the holder and needed to be changed too often.
If Sam offered the option, I'd skip the charts entirely.
rbrhsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #504
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
I found the roll charts very entertaining and used them all the way. We did have gps and that was helpful when there was a problem or I couldn't find the turn easily. Didn't happen very many times. I sure made a few wrong turns though but you figure it out soon enough. That said, next time I will just use tracks.

The roll charts added a bit more challenge and it seemed like the way it should be done. Guess I am old school!

Blaise W screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 06:01 PM
Blaise W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #505
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

The rollcharts were great when the GPS tracks didn't explain well enough. I made my GPS tracks based off of the rollcharts (finished making them one week before Sam put the charts for sale, blah.) so mine weren't perfect. Nonetheless, I used the charts AT LEAST once a day.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #506
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,628
my roll chart holder still has day 1 loaded in it, if that gives you any idea of how much I used them

I used the GPS, but would refer to the maps often. the worst area for me was northern nevada, I really wish I had bought a gazeteer or something for NEV

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #507
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,636
I used both..worst part for me was Oregon...that was when I lost my intuitive tracker (i.e. Ken AKA Blaise W)....and it was up to me to read the GPS and roll charts.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #508
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I used both..worst part for me was Oregon...that was when I lost my intuitive tracker (i.e. Ken AKA Blaise W)....and it was up to me to read the GPS and roll charts.
Oregon was just a b itch to navigate when you were in the timber cutting areas. Trails, side trails, re-routed trails around obstacles, new logging roads, old logging roads, you get the idea. You really had to just feel your way thru and head what seemed like the right way. After wondering if we were lost several times we would pop out of the single track and onto a decent (tongue in cheek) logging road and low and behold, the chart mileages and turns would match right up. Never give up! As One Less said, I had to bail on the last day so can't talk about that stretch. I seem to remember a lot of logging by One Less and Kevin though,. It is timber felling country though, isn't it!

One more though on the roll charts, and why I enjoyed using them. The pioneers used road books of sorts to cross the country, although the landmarks were a lot farther apart than our road intersections. The roll charts gave me just a little bit of that feeling.
Blaise W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #509
Wmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Fantastic thread - a lot of amazing info here - Thanks! I'm planning to ride the TAT July/Aug 2015.

I do have a question for the guys who have completed the TAT: I'm starting in Nashville, TN - how quickly could someone do this, reasonably and safely, if the challenge was to do it without stopping to smell the roses? No side trips, no BS. Just go on the TAT Nashville to Oregon as quickly as possible?
Wmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #510
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmac View Post
Fantastic thread - a lot of amazing info here - Thanks! I'm planning to ride the TAT July/Aug 2015.

I do have a question for the guys who have completed the TAT: I'm starting in Nashville, TN - how quickly could someone do this, reasonably and safely, if the challenge was to do it without stopping to smell the roses? No side trips, no BS. Just go on the TAT Nashville to Oregon as quickly as possible?
I did it in 15 days from the Tulsa area. I wasn't going FAST but I definitely wasn't going slow. I averaged 150-250 miles a day, a couple 300 and 400 mile days in there as well. I figure you can do it in less than 20 days at a safe but rose-less pace.