Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Karlfitt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
How do you coordinate with other people/riders?

I have July off (Not really, I do work July 1st and the 30th/31st).
I am planning to be on the bike the whole time.

I have a few things I want to do, see my sister in So. Cal. Visit a friend who just retired up in Idaho.

Other thing is, I have a friend who says he wants to ride with me for a few days. I have been trying to get some solid dates from him and how far he thinks he wants to ride. He lives in Tucson, and doesn't want to ride where it is hot. But he only has 5 days.

Also he finally gave me his dates and it means I won't be able to meet a different friend up in Monterey for World Superbike (Tucson friend doesn't want to go to the races)

I am kind of torn. I like the guy. we have done day rides before and I head down to Tucson in the winter and bring the dirt bikes to escape the snow.
But waiting until the 9th for him, and killing only 5 days kind of messes up my start of my trip and keeps me down south longer than I would like.
But I do want to get him out on the road for a multi day trip. Maybe help him put more than 3000 miles on his bike his year.

What do you do to accommodate others when trip planning?

TIA,
Karl
Karlfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,754
It's your trip, do what makes sense for you. If the dates work for riding with some buddies then do it. If not, then maybe next time. Seems like it's always easier to grab a weekend off than a month. Don't waste the month looking for a weekend :)

Just my $.02
Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
It's your trip, do what makes sense for you. If the dates work for riding with some buddies then do it. If not, then maybe next time. Seems like it's always easier to grab a weekend off than a month. Don't waste the month looking for a weekend :)

Just my $.02
what he said! I am were you are but a lot worse. We had a team, and now from the 10 bikes, we are down to 1, or 2, the rest do not want to ride as much, as far or as hard as I want.. so I am bailing out completely. So my question is, do THEY ride like you? stop as much/little as you?

Just make a plan and inform other what you are doing and then if they want to come it is fine, if not.. well they don't. These lines I write have cause me a lot of pain and lost of sleep, but I think this way and I will continue to have friends for my Sunday rides.

Damasov
Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,043
It's your trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post

Just my $.02
This. Give him your plans. Politely say this is what I'm doing & you're welcome to ride with me.
Enjoy YOUR ride, have fun.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,273
Got to agree. These days I just tell the usual suspects, hey this is what I'm doing, if you want to come Im leaving at this time. If you're not there I'll see you when I get back. It's your ride. Do it for yourself. It's ok to be selfish. I find if I don't I end up resenting them
Old 06-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlfitt View Post

What do you do to accommodate others when trip planning?

Sometimes, nothing. I tell them where I'm going to, pace I'm traveling at and if they're willing to keep up they're welcome, if not you're not welcome.

If it's a trip that I no plans and I'm just getting away, then I can be more accommodating.

I can get that you want to get the guy out more, just wait to do it when the two of you have like goals and schedules.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Proveick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
You're in CO

That being said, I find it hard for anyone to commit to anything here.
Camping, rafting etc.
While living in the high country we'd invite "friends" over for dinner.
Not only did they not show up they didn't even call.
Midwest folks are always on time or early. Just an observation.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Really? He lives in Tucson and doesn't want to ride "where it's hot"? I suspect that is the reason he only puts 3000 miles on his bike a year. Doesn't sound to me like he really wants to do a multi-day road trips either. Fact is, July is HOT just about anywhere, and certainly anywhere within a day of Tuscon. I would guess that it would take some pretty hefty altitude to escape the heat.

You really want to get to the WSBK races? Then let him know you are going to be in NoCal during that period, and that you will be in his area other dates. Let him figure it out. If its too hot for him to ride, that's HIS choice. Don't be sorry for inviting him along, but make sure he understands what YOUR plans are, and that he is welcome to COME ALONG, but that you have certain things you plan to do, and the dates aren't subject to change.
patmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313 View Post
Got to agree. These days I just tell the usual suspects, hey this is what I'm doing, if you want to come Im leaving at this time. If you're not there I'll see you when I get back. It's your ride. Do it for yourself. It's ok to be selfish. I find if I don't I end up resenting them
This. And I never set out on a long trip with anyone I haven't ridden with for some time. A mismatch in riding styles can result in a miserable time for both.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Karlfitt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Should have posted this earlier I see.

I told him that WSB wasn't mandatory for me. And it's not.

But doing something is.

I guess I willing to cut him some more slack because he has 3 kids and just got a promotion at work, so I know he has to work around that schedule. I wanted to ride with him right after the 4th, but family stuff for him prevents that.

Now that I know what dates he wants to ride, I kind of hope his work schedule makes him flake out on me.

The friend I would meet at WSB, we used to work together and have been on many multi day rides. He is retired now, so plans always wait for me to get off work now.
Karlfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:10 AM   #11
Mastery
Hoosier Daddy?

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlfitt View Post
He lives in Tucson, and doesn't want to ride where it is hot. But he only has 5 days.

Also he finally gave me his dates and it means I won't be able to meet a different friend up in Monterey for World Superbike (Tucson friend doesn't want to go to the races)
Wow. Friend doesn't want to do this. Friend doesn't want to do that. Know what I tell friend? Go do whatever you want. On my vacation time, I do what I want to do. Yes, I will give a little...but when somebody keeps tellinmg me they don't want to do the things I want to do, it's better that we take separate vacations.

If you are hoping his work schedule flakes out on your travel desires, it's better off you just TELL HIM that this trip shouldn't be done together. Seriously, why cause yourself so much stress?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:14 AM   #12
Mastery
Hoosier Daddy?

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveick View Post
Midwest folks are always on time or early. Just an observation.
I'm leaving for CO next weekend. What time is dinner? (see my location)
Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #13
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,678
I have to agree with some of the others here...

...I put out the perimeters of the ride, what time I'm leaving and what time I'm going to be back and add what my objectives are but remain a little flexible. If somebody wants to join me great, if not then that's ok also. I'll go alone. Just ride and have a good time.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomantra View Post
This. Give him your plans. Politely say this is what I'm doing & you're welcome to ride with me.
Enjoy YOUR ride, have fun.
+1..ride your ride.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #15
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
can you ride with Friend 1-2 days as part of your bigger trip ?

done this many times .... meet up, visit/ride/beers then go your separate ways .... no hard feelings, no problem, still get to visit ... just a thought.

but as others say - do your ride
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote