User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
Zynth OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Route planner with road-type routing options

Problem: I love taking tertiary (small) roads. But, route planners do not support my travelling style ;-)

When planning routes online, and on my phone, the standard route planners are not able to do that. You could select "pedestrian", and calculate the shortest route, but that often does not work out.

I am looking for a route planner with the same capabilities as http://www.routino.org/uk/router.html
Where you can select settings in more detail. For example, specifying how much you like primary, secondary and tertiary roads by giving them a percentage from 0-100%

In short: is there a route planner out there which I can use to plan routes on only the roads I like? :-)
Zynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
Ken Fritz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
It's called a paper map.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:23 AM   #3
Mastery
Hoosier Daddy?

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz View Post
It's called a paper map.
Yeah, everybody just loves to stop repeatedly and pull out a paper map or directions after each third turn...
Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
I have a hard time understanding why you would want computer software to plan your trips for you.

IMHO when I plan a trip I want to decide what to see and most importantly what roads I want to ride on.

But I do use Garmin mapping software to create routes for the roads I want to ride. I then convert the routes to tracks for navigation.

A big reason for this is that nearly all of my riding is off-highway in remote areas where gas is a critical issue. I cannot afford to get lost enough to run out of gas.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I have a hard time understanding why you would want computer software to plan your trips for you.

IMHO when I plan a trip I want to decide what to see and most importantly what roads I want to ride on.

But I do use Garmin mapping software to create routes for the roads I want to ride. I then convert the routes to tracks for navigation.

A big reason for this is that nearly all of my riding is off-highway in remote areas where gas is a critical issue. I cannot afford to get lost enough to run out of gas.
^ Correct!
I don't think there is any program that you can click point "A" and "B" and get a back road route just because there would be so, so many choices. The "A" to "B" routes have two simple options "fastest" or "least miles". I use MapSource or BaseCamp to build routes one road at a time, one gas stop and one camp or motel at a time, works great.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
Zynth OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
^ Correct!
I don't think there is any program that you can click point "A" and "B" and get a back road route just because there would be so, so many choices. The "A" to "B" routes have two simple options "fastest" or "least miles". I use MapSource or BaseCamp to build routes one road at a time, one gas stop and one camp or motel at a time, works great.
I agree.
Yet, for example the OSM map data does contain information like the road surface (grass, gravel, light_gravel, dirt, etc). I also contains information on the road type (motorway, primary, secondary, tertiary, urban, etc). It would be great to be able to use this information when planning a trip from A to B. Very often I just need to go from A to B (visit a friend, get something from some special store, etc), use my gps for that, but would like to have the most interesting route. Not the quickest, not the shortest. But roads depending on my mood and the amount of time I have.

Currently I am thinking of creating an add-on application to OSMAND to support this functionality. Working on that. But still it would be better if it's already available ;-)
General idea: you would be able to create your own profiles for the routing algorithm. By selecting how much you prefer certain road-types and road-surfaces by giving them a 0-100%.
Zynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
renogeorge
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Garmin Topo maps have at least some of the road and trail detail you may want. They are routable and allow you to specify road avoidance parameters--no Interstate, no paved, etc. And also route selection criteria--shortest, fastest, etc. Not perfect but useful.

I find them useful for pre trip planning where I have an idea of a point or points that I might want to hit. There are times when it is helpful to create the route and transfer to the GPS so that turns and related route info are readily available during the ride. If you are not just pure exploring, it is sometimes nice to weed out the dead ends without riding them.

Not for every ride. But sometimes good.

FWIW

FWIW
Old 03-17-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Which topo maps are you talking about? I know the 24k ones are routable, but I thought none of the 100k ones were. (I am still using the ~2000 version of topo 100k, but I thought I heard that the 2008 version was not routable.)

The 24k ones are a bit of a pain to deal with sometimes because of the small tile size and the fact you have to buy a different set for different regions of the country.

But I agree topos are also a good tool for trip planning. The road quality legend info is useful as well as the topo and watershed info.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
renogeorge
Studly Adventurer

My only experience is with the 24k US Topos. I never noticed any issues with small tile size. But maybe I am so inexperienced I just don't see it.

Yes the maps include regions. For example, the west Region includes CA, NV, OR and WA. Unless something has changed the maps are not locked. So they can be used on multiple GPSs.

I buy the CDs if available.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
GARMIN <--- guaranteed to get one lost
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
renogeorge
Studly Adventurer

OK? So what do you recommend for a routable off road map as the OP asked about?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #12
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

There are some annoyances with Garmin hardware and software, but the quality of my riding experiences has increased tremendously since I started using GPS devices for navigation back in about 2000.

We do a lot of multi-day off-hiway trips in remote areas. We used to get really good paper maps - either geological survey or BLM 100k maps. And we were pretty good at reading them. But we would still get horribly lost and start running out of gas in the dark with maybe one or two working headlights among a group of 6 or so.

The big problem was making wrong turns and not realizing it for a long time. Where we ride the roads aren't marked and there are far more roads on the ground than on the map.

That just doesn't happen anymore.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #13
millican
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Extra mapping options would be nice.
I have an old Datsun with a 60hp engine that gets slower on hills in addition to its top speed of 65mph. I've found the gradient option of Google Earth for roads to be very incorrect in many places. I've resorted to a script that takes the tracks from my GPS (or the ones posted here), converts them to Cartesian coordinates, and creates maps where the road/highway color corresponds to increasing grade.
It seems the same could be done for things like speed limit, road surface, or scenic qualities.
Also, searching for various routes in Wikipedia often gives information about the road surface and posted speed limits, but that's a tedious way to plan a route.
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:40 AM   #14
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 426
I've found that using a combination of Google Maps and then Garmin Basecamp (to create a downloadable route) seems to work well.

I use Google Maps for initial exploration... but it only lets you change a route so much (so many times) before making it very hard to make additional changes. Basecamp lets you change more... but you can't really see every road even with the latest maps (I have a lifetime subscription for North America).

At my office we have a large map of the USA, with most state highways on it. I've found that it makes a good starting place, as I can quickly see the roads that are closest to Google Maps' great circle/airplane routing, and then I can vary from there.

I'm sure I'm like most people on this site... I start off with a plan and then adapt to what I find and how I feel as I go along. But, it's nice to have major waypoints set, to get back on track after I've wandered a bit.