Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #76
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Last post from the USA. We will be riding into Mexico for new adventures in 2 hours. Stay tuned for more posts and pictures.

Thanks guys for the balancing info. The shinko trailmaster are on front and back and balanced. I did 140km/h on the hiway and no extra vibration. I am concerned though because it took 14, 7 gram weights on the rear across from the valve to balance it. I have never seen this much weight an a motorcycle rim. Usually i see 2 or 5 or something. The mark in the tire and valve were at the same spot so i thought maybe it marks the heavy spot instead? I always thought it was the light spot.

Shanebaby thanks for your support. Some of my views will make it here but the facebook page is more for that. This will focus more on motorcycle travel. When we get to your part of the planet in the next few years it would be great to meet up. I found that traveling is the best for me when money is really short. The over planning and over saving money for me is the worst. Once you travel it all falls into place and the bad is just part of the adventure and is great to overcome.

http://www.facebook.com/theperfectworld2012
globalklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #77
seetomgo
d00d

Oddometer: 32
what an epic trip...as with just about everyone else here i am envious. hit me up if your trip brings you near new orleans once you're back in the states and need anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir-Faire View Post
Clicked on this with and then went to your facebook page, but I was saddened to see that of the last 5-odd posts, 3 of them were overt political stuff. I come here to avoid this stuff.
do you think i come here to listen to whining about what people put on their fb pages?
seetomgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #78
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We are in Ensenada and everything is going great. Just the surprise of a $400 deposit on the bike that we get back when we leave Mexico was not great because that is a big chunk of pur money. The roads are also pretty bad but the shock is doing good so far.

I just left the bike on the sidewalk as we went to go eat. Hope all the stuff is still there. We went into a convenience store looking for food but didn't find anything good. we left out and asked what we were looking for. We said food and he gave us directions to a restaurant. As we were leave leaving he ask if we needed anything else like weed or cocaine. Wow thats scary.

and walked down the street. This guy ran

Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #79
klr_couple
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Great adventurevyou have planned

Seen your ride report and upgrades to the KLR, wife and I both have Gen1 KLR's and with proper regular maintenance ( just like anything) it will carry the two of you far.
Keep up the RR
klr_couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #80
RsZk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Subscribed! Good luck to you both in your journey both outwards and inwards!
Keep safe!
RsZk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #81
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks wannadv our trip is alot about learning about ourselves as well as the world.

We are in San Felipe and want to ride south back to highway one. We are camping here for free in the dunes in an abandoned resort. Its amazing. Today we had a nice walk in town. Its hard to see all the people trying to sell to tourists. A 8 year old girl came over to our table where we were drinking coffee and tring to charge our phones. She had a box full of stuff she was trying to sell us. It is so sad to see this little girl try to make money instead of learning and having fun.

Does anyone know the condition of the dirt road the goes south from San Felipe and back the highway one??? Some people say its ok and others say its rough and a hurricane washed it out. Can an overloaded KLR650 with 2 people make it. We want to try it and turn back if its too bad but is a long way around the mountains and back to the one the other way.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #82
bray8
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Welcome to Mexico! That deposit is the worst. Also don't be surprised when after all the currency conversions they do you don't get back the full $400. We lost about $80 on currency conversions per bike. Also best to avoid Acapulco if at all possible. It's one of the worst cities for corrupt cops and extorting bikers. Both myself, and all but 2 overlanders I met travelling were extorted in Acapulco, and nowhere else in Mexico.

If you can stretch it that far, the next really good place to pick up cheap motorcycle parts is in Medellin, Columbia. Great place to pick up tires and parts. Easy to find TKC 80's, Shink 705's or Sahara 3's for less than in the States.
bray8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #83
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb I'm in.....

New guy here. Been riding for for many decades on several different dirtbikes and then street bikes of mostly Japanese and American makes. I haven't gotten my DS bike yet. Had HDs for many years and just getting into this stuff. I'm wanting a KLR and it looks like you are going to be testing it way better than I would. I'm still working on a project out of the US for awhile longer. I would say this looks like an ambitious journey. I've cruised and toured two up on a big bike. I'm really interested to see how your bike does with two people and baggage.
Ride safe there folks.
Ken
Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #84
Doogle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalklr650 View Post
Thanks wannadv our trip is alot about learning about ourselves as well as the world.

We are in San Felipe and want to ride south back to highway one. We are camping here for free in the dunes in an abandoned resort. Its amazing. Today we had a nice walk in town. Its hard to see all the people trying to sell to tourists. A 8 year old girl came over to our table where we were drinking coffee and tring to charge our phones. She had a box full of stuff she was trying to sell us. It is so sad to see this little girl try to make money instead of learning and having fun.

Does anyone know the condition of the dirt road the goes south from San Felipe and back the highway one??? Some people say its ok and others say its rough and a hurricane washed it out. Can an overloaded KLR650 with 2 people make it. We want to try it and turn back if its too bad but is a long way around the mountains and back to the one the other way.
It's probably too late.But a friend of mine has a place in Gonzaga Bay (about 150 miles south of San Felipe).He invited me to come down next month.He told me it is good paved road now.Last time I was there,it was a rough dirt road (2001).

Another thing you should be aware of traveling south.Do not leave things on your bike when you are away from it.There are people waiting to steal anything that can be unclipped or cut loose quickly.You may be lucky for thousands of miles and then get ripped off,and lose important papers,cameras,or credit cards.If you read ride reports,you will find a high percentage of riders have had things stolen off their bikes.Guess how I know this?

You know you are going to get a lot of shakedowns from the police don't you?Many of the police are looking to make some extra money.I don't think they are paid very well.I never paid a bribe.Sometimes I had to wait an hour in the hot sun before they gave my papers back and said "Go".One very insistant cop demanding $200 for speeding.I wasn't and he had no radar.I told him all my speeds were recorded in my GPS.If he wanted me to pay a fine,he was going to have to take me to the police station.I won't pay on the spot.He also, finally said "Go".

When you cross borders in Central America there are many "Helpers" waiting to get into your wallet.They will help you because you are new and confused about what the process is.You do not need them.Honduras was the worst for me.These helpers may also work with the police or border officials.

Good luck
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #85
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Doogle,

Great advice.

We have so much stuff i don't know what to do with the camping stuff that is just netted to the bike.

Central america will be interesting
With all the boarders.

We are at a $20 motel in Guerrero Negro. We are staying another night because of all the blowing sand and high winds. This also give me a chance to post pictures and edit videos.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #86
Doogle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Concerning the subframe bolts-I hope you replaced them.My top bolts failed in Chile.I replaced with 1 straight through bolt vs. the original 2 bolt system.If the 2 bolts fail,you need to drill them out.And high tensil steel is difficult drilling.I carried a spare bolt with me after my breakdown.With the single bolt,you can change it on the side of the road by yourself.I can't believe you are more than 900 pounds loaded.If you are I would be replacing these bolts.I would replace even if riding one up.Sitting in the middle of a desert broke down and nobody around is no fun-and expensive.After a few of these problems,you realize it's money well spent for prevention.

If you did not upgrade you shock spring you may have problems with your bike staying upright when it is parked.All the weight you have on it compresses the spring to it's balance point.So you either have tipsy problems when parked or you consider cutting your kick stand off an inch or so.But you really need a stiffer spring.I'm surprised Eagle Mike didn't mention this when you were at his shop.I think he also sells subframe upgraded bolts for the subframe.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #87
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Doogle,

Thanks for the pointers.

I have upgraded upper subframe bolts that came with my engine guards. Eagle mike said they looked fine.

For the shock i wanted to get a new one but we are low on money. After traveling for 7 months there is not much left. We have rode the bike with over 1,000lbs on paved and rough roads for 25,000km so i thought i would see how long It lasts. We never bottom out because i ride very slow ( you can see some of the rough roads on 2012theperfectworld youtube, 15 has the really bad roads). With the weight we have, the kickstand only works if i can find a hole to put it in or the right slope. We have the center stand too that we can use with the luggage on the bike. If the shock fails hopefully we will be ok. Then we will call mexican roadside assistance with cell phone or spot and get free towing. Then we will have to try and get the parts, this is All part of the adventure. I just hope subframe bolt failure and/or shock failure will not cause an accident.

With no schedule for our trip we can prepare less and just see what happens. Lots of time
For adventure. I am happy i got HH EBC front brakes and new tires and chain/sprockets in sam diego though. Lot less to worry about. The UNI filter
Is great too. Easy to clean and lots more power. I got up to 140km/h with all the weight on a level road and only slowed down for a curve. I think the bike could have done 150km/h.

The below picture is the tire after riding in wet red clay on the dirt road south of san Felipe. The clay got every where and stopped the horn from working until i cleaned it. We picked it out of the tire because i had little tracking and big pieces would fly off as i was riding.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #88
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We are in Santa Rosalia on the sea of cortez. We will be checking here for someone that can take us across to the mainland as a reference point before we go down to check La Paz. We are trying to save money and the ferry is just too expensive.

The ride here over the mountains today was great. There were cacti everywhere. The bike lost alot of power just because of maybe 4000ft of altitude. We raced here as the sun was setting. The ride down from the mountains to the sea was breathtaking.

We wanted to camp to save money but it was too dark so we got a hotel. Hotel T & T is the first one we checked. It brand new from this year and has all this fancy fake wood. I was $42 which is too expensive so we were going to leave (our last motels were $25 and $20 and i am really trying to save money so we can travel the world for over 10 years without working too much as we travel).

We talked about riding the bike around at night to look for something else and i thought fuck it lets just get it. The lady at the desk could not speak english so there was alot of sign language. We got a booster for the internet so i can post some videos (video 23 when we first got to mexico will be up soon).

Old 01-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #89
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I just posted video 23 of our round the world trip. In this video we enter Mexico, i take a DRZ400 for a ride and we make our own distilled water to top up the battery and coolant

Also in the video

First day of 2013, making distilled water for the bike, topping up the battery water, installing uni filter, installing tires and chain/sprockets at Randy's, DRZ400 fast dirtbike ride, staring our lifesaver water filter, packing to leave for Mexico, leaving Randy's house, Mexican border, putting on first 3 country stickers, playing with herding dogs, driving through sheep herd, getting to our couch surfers in Ensenada, our host's dog, exploring the ranch, 10 people in one car trying to go up a steep hill, having a famous fish taco in Ensenada, lane splitting, bad pot holes, crazy speed bumps (TOPES), the blow hole, Mexican tv and $25 motel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjUIf...e_gdata_player

Old 01-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #90
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We camped in the beach for 5 days in conception bay for $9 a night. It was amazing we bought kids snorkeling gear for $9 dollars and snorkeled right in front of our tent under a palapa.

A guy on the beach had an older KLR650 and had gone to central and south america. He told me about all the things you can take with you to treat sickness. He said some of the bad ones that can kill you can be stopped by just buying a few pills of antibiotics you can get in Mexico for $3 and having them ready. He is sending me a list of stuff I should get. He also said when the KLR650 is totally out of gas you can lay it down on its left side. Pick it up and then ride for about 40km more. Apparently the left side and right side of the gas tank hang down around the frame tube. The carb sucks fuel from the left side so when the reserve runs out the right side still has fuel (he said about 2 liters). If you lay the bike on the left side the fuel from the right side flows over to the the left side where the engine can us it. Its a design flaw but if you know about it, its like a second reserve that could save you from
Pushing the bike one day. A lot of other tanks have this wrap around the frame design so this may work for other bikes.

Below is a short movie of dolphins swimming right under the boat while a guy on the beach took us out for a free boat ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Nqs...e_gdata_player