Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #91
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 3,984
I must say, your a couple of brave youngsters. Good luck.....
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #92
ficoszac
y...ahora???

Oddometer: 141
if you come to zacatecas, you have a place to stay (free).....let me know
ficoszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #93
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Wow Ficoszac sounds great. Thanks so much. We should be traveling through that area and that could really help us out. We will spend maybe 2 or 3 weeks in Baja and then cross to the mainland hitching a ride on a boat to save money (we hope this will work). So end of Feb beginning of March we should be in your neighborhood.

http://www.facebook.com/theperfectworld2012
globalklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #94
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Any one have white in their oil? It is gone now after riding a few hundred km. is the oil still ok?? I was riding in clay and i thought maybe it got into the engine but the airfilter (uni) looks fine.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #95
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,458
Just looks like some condensation on the site glass (normal in cool weather). I would not worry too much about it. If your oil starts looking a lighter brown (like peanut butter) or getting frothy then you have a problem. Just keep an eye on the level and color (should get darker not lighter) and carry on.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #96
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
one more IN!

HI you two!!

Too bad I did not know about you sooner or I would have invited you for tacos here in Ensenada, but then again I saw were you stayed and no way I can compete with that white are of the city!

Any way two things
a) Go to http://motoviajero.com/foros and introduce your selves! it will give you access to several nice and helpful people all around Mexico, some of them speak some English or just use google translator, and mention me (damasovi) as the person that point it you that way, no I do not get points of commission so do as you please, also the KLR on that site is like the 1-3 most popular bike, so for parts and such they could help.

b) Go to http://klrworld.com/forums (my first option) or http://www.klr650.net/forums for any and all questions about the KLR.

The next area where you could find things for the KLR would be Mexico City,

And about one of your videos, you mention small bikes, I think outside North America and Europe, all bikes 250 cc and under are the norm and 400+ are "big and fast bikes!" So your KLR will be seen as big and fast

Cheers and I am IN!

Damasovi
Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #97
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Conception bay

Cruising back from Loreto near the south end of the Bay, I noticed a bike, two-up, bouncing along from one of the strands, El Coyote maybe. I pulled into Bertha's for coffee and flirting with the owner, she is hilarious, even my wife had a chuckle. These two rolled in on the most loaded up KLR I have ever seen. I took a picture for them and sent it by email, figured they might like it posted here too.
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #98
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Our money is getting low and the ferries here are more expensive then we expected. Some people say it might be possible for 2 people and a KLR650 to hitch a ride on a boat from la paz to mainland Mexico. Does anyone have any advice for us about this? Or does anyone know someone with a big boat in la paz that could give us a lift ;)?

Thanks guys for the advice helps me out alot.

Michael thanks for posting the pictures of us. Its great you found us here.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #99
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalklr650 View Post
Our money is getting low and the ferries here are more expensive then we expected. Some people say it might be possible for 2 people and a KLR650 to hitch a ride on a boat from la paz to mainland Mexico. Does anyone have any advice for us about this? Or does anyone know someone with a big boat in la paz that could give us a lift ;)?

Thanks guys for the advice helps me out alot.

Michael thanks for posting the pictures of us. Its great you found us here.
at La Paz it will more expensive than where you are (Santa Rosalia?) an option is to ask a trucker or a truck to put you bike on their vehicle that way you do not pay for the bike fee, and you could sleep on the deck of the boat, or sit in the main area for people, since the room will be expensive but the trip does last like 12 hrs from La Paz to Mazatlan

Damasovi
Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #100
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We will be staying here for maybe 3 months in La Paz to work and find a cheap boat to the mainland because our money is running out.

My back tire will be running low in the next few months. Does anyone know if any website that has cheap shinko 705 trailmaster tires for the KLR ship to Mexico? I got front and back 705 from rocky mountain atv mc for $57 each with free delivery. I hope there is something like that for Mexico now. Then after for central and south America.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #101
globalklr650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Damsovi,

Thanks for the great pointers. We are in La paz now so we will try to cross here because we don't want to back track. I think the truck on boat might be our best option.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #102
TrevorHeath
Seattle to ??

Oddometer: 73
This web site may be of use to you. Two people on a tandem heading north from Ushuaia to Deadhorse.

The web site shows their monthly budgets and cost for crossing the Darien (on the Pacific side).

http://twoblindtoride.org

They will be here in Arizona next week we hope to meet them (and pump them for information)

Yes you will find cheap tires all the way down but they may be false economy. What tire pressure are you running on that KLR?

You will not find KLR oil filters, sprockets and brake pads so hopefully you are carrying spares. You will find chains but generally not of good quality.

TH
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #103
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
We will be staying here for maybe 3 months in La Paz to work and find a cheap boat to the mainland because our money is running out.

My back tire will be running low in the next few months. Does anyone know if any website that has cheap shinko 705 trailmaster tires for the KLR ship to Mexico? I got front and back 705 from rocky mountain atv mc for $57 each with free delivery. I hope there is something like that for Mexico now. Then after for central and south America.
that is good you have time, from here on time is a necessity. cheap tires down there and further on.. you will have to change your definition of cheap, I don't think you will find anything in that price range, a guy in Queretaro was selling tires with a 50-50 tread at around $150 USD, I do not know if he is the cheapest or how he places up the expensive side, but $60 dollar tires are gone (new ones for sure).

Some here have comment that after the border region the next available (read, not as expensive) will be Colombia, and the reason is tires will come from Brazil and not Germany (for example Metzeler), can you last that long?

If you want I can send a set of 705 with some 50%+ to La Paz by bus

BTW here is the link to a post about tires in my other forum (mostly Mexicans there)
http://motoviajero.com/foros/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2979

Cheers

Damasovi
Old 02-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #104
moilami
pr0 n00b

Oddometer: 57
Thumb

Quote:
I don't know if i want to live in a world where you get in trouble for saying a non violent country should be free. But really i should cover that up in China good advice.

Do you have a choise. Alternate reality is hard to reach in real, I heard.

No matter, your trip is by far the most interesting I have ever seen. None can beat your attitude. Safe travels and if you happen to come to Finland you are welcome to be hosted by me.
moilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #105
motomundo antigua
motomundo antigua

Oddometer: 43
klr tyres

i have pirelli scorpions for your klr here in Antigua Guatemala, so if you need some, come by.
cheers

Taz
Motomundo Antigua
motomundo antigua is offline   Reply With Quote