Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 422
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDuro View Post
I love the PNW! I'll never get tired of traveling to places near and far, but know that no matter how far away life takes me, I'll always end up back here...

Then I found my dream shop:

If 300 square feet is good, 30,000 square feet must be awesome!
I'm enjoying your report and photos so far and am looking forward to the rest.

I couldn't agree more when it comes to traveling throughout the PNW, you gotta just love the riding around here! So many roads to explore, only limited by your imagination and fuel capacity...

I thought the same thing when I recently rode past that big old shop... I met some nice ADVer's right up the hill not too far from there and have memories that will last a lifetime...
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDuro View Post
Yes Mr. Jam, I was all up in your kitchen and I didn't even know it... until I accidentally bumped into a fellow Hoodie Inmate (stay tuned).
I remember when you met Ladukebob downtown Hood River
He told me about it, I just didn't put it together!!
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #18
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAllWhoWanderRLost View Post
... I met some nice ADVer's right up the hill not too far from there and have memories that will last a lifetime...
And I'll have a scar that will last a lifetime
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #19
TwinDuro OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I hope everyone had a good last week or so! After a wonderful Christmas and good times with family and friends (and with Santa having brought me a new pair of moor'sickle boots ), I'm ready to get back to this...

After crossing the Columbia back into into Washington near the town of Albino Salmon, having spent nowhere near enough time in the hood (I'll be back!), I headed west on the Lewis and Clark Highway towards Carson:

The Lewis and Clark Hwy. was definitely smooth! Sometime, I'll have to hop on it in the 'Couv and ride it all the way over to Plymouth, and then maybe continue on into Idaho...

The mouth of the Wind River:

Cruising along serenely and enjoying the views of the Columbia, I hung a left on Wind River Road and headed north through Carson. It didn't take long to find something that needed to be investigated :

I stopped for a few and looked around, enjoying the quiet of the forest and listening to the burbling of the water, thinking that maybe I should camp here sometime...

Wind River Road was as smooth as aged cheddar (with a jug of Carlos Rossi to wash it down) and looked like this:

After carving it up for awhile and gaining elevation with each passing yard, the time had come... and by that, I mean I really had to pee!

Perfect place to stop:

After sweet relief at 3000' on Oldman Pass (what's that sound? Nothing!!! ), I hopped back on the ghost and continued down the road:

Wind River Road soon turned into Meadow Creek and before I knew it, I was hanging a left on Curly Creek and making my way towards NF-90, NF-25 and Mt. St. Explody top.

There was plenty to stop and admire along the way...

The 25 road was turning into a hoot, and on a Tuesday afternoon, was more deserted then the salad bar at a chili cook-off. It was a blast and reminded me of one of my favorite CW McCall Songs :

I had never been on the 25 road before, and was really looking forward to riding it up past St. Helens, which believe it or not, I'd also never seen up close in over two decades of living in Warshington. The 25 road quickly became my friend, with incredible views, twisty pavement, and dual-sport friendly frost heaves.

Then the beast came into view:

I sat on the rock wall at the Clearwater viewpoint enjoying seeing the mountain. Several months before, I was lucky to go up with a friend in his beautiful early '70s Beechcraft Bonanza (a V35B for you wingnuts) and even though the below photos aren't related to this ride, I've come to find that flying in light-aircraft (especially when grass landings are involved) can be just as much of an adventure, so here are a few of those photos:

Spirit Lake:

I was still a few years away from being a gleam in anyone's eye in 1980, so I can only imagine what it was like to have a Volcano erupt so close to home...

Mt. St. Helens thoroughly admired, I continued on, and saw this sign:

Well duh!!!! I'm sure the people of Pompeii would've appreciated a sign like this too...

Da nordwords dontcha know!

A good day to be on the river:

It seemed that each curve brought better views with it, so stopping and snapping a few was mandatory:

I came upon Iron Creek Falls, and needing to stretch my legs, went and took a look:

Fantastic!

Another new bridge...

... and I can see why!

Randle was on the horizon, and I remember her well from visiting a buddy who lived up here for a couple of summers while working for the Forest Service:

I came upon this road, and as tempted as I was to sneak around the barricades, I knew that would be a bad idea if there ever was one:

Soon the Big Bottom Valley came upon me and the roads straightened out as the speed limit rose:

The Cowlitz:

...and downtown Glenoma :

Highway 12 was as quiet as ever and in a blink of an eye I was in Morton, well into reserve and in need of gas... Little did I know that after stopping at the Chevron station and being suckered in by the hot-case near the cash register, I'd be getting two kinds of gas in Morton. Gross post aside, that gas station corn-dog was delicious!

It was also the XT's tenth birthday:

Of all of the buildings in Lewis County, I'd like to have this one the most to use as a shop. It was fixed up beautifully a few years back, and then abandoned just as quickly . I wonder what it was in the past...

Then I was jonesing for a Scale Burger, but Elbe shuts down early, so no burger for me. I've never been hungry when this place was actually open, but I hear (could be wrong) that the owner is a grump, but makes darn fine burgers.

Ye ol' Hobo Inn. If you've ever wanted to spend the night in a Caboose, this is your place:

... and the only new structure in Elbe that's been built in my lifetime:

I was planning to get back into town via the twisties of Hwy 7, but was denied as I went past Alder Lake:

Soon I was back into the quiet town of Eatonville. I continue to mourn the loss of one of my favorite restaurants, Tall Timbers, which folded awhile back. One of the best things after a long weekend of camping would be stopping there and grabbing a 1/2lb. logger burger with a mound of fries as big as your head. They also always had the perfect cup of coffee, smooth, dark but not bitter or burnt... Alas, never again.

Eventually, everything has to end, and just as quick as the trip had started, I was back in my driveway.

Tired and happy, with four days on two wheels... how much better does it get?

Thanks for coming along for the ride everyone! I think the next big ride for me will be over to Eastern Oregon in June; I've always wanted to see Hell's Canyon.

TwinDuro screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 02:10 PM
TwinDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #20
Nc987
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Good read

Great report. I enjoyed reading about these areas as I plan to ride them this next summer and you gave me some ideas of where to go. Thanks for posting.
Nc987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #21
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 422
Thumb Great report

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed your report and photos!

My wife and I rode through a lot of the same areas this fall on a nine day trip. I look forward to spending some more time exploring more of the back roads around the Mt. St. Helens area.
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #22
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,513
Terrific ride report. It looks like you had a great ride and enjoyed the scenery along the way.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #23
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Awesome ride report! Thanks for sharing - makes me want to plan a similar trip - the whole West coast is so great to explore. :)
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #24
DaveWave
It is what it is.

Oddometer: 40
Thanks for the photos…I grew up near White Salmon and covered a lot of miles on dirt bikes under the BPA power lines in that neck of the woods in the early to late 80s. The spot where you took the photo of the Hood River bridge used to be a huge blackberry patch before all the development took place…remember my mom dragging us down to pick blackberries by the bucket load when I was a kid…makes great jam!
DaveWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #25
TwinDuro OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you all enjoyed the RR and am glad that I could share it...

Can't wait until warmer weather (I'll take anything 50F and above) comes back to the PNW... We've all got some riding to do!

Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #26
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 244
more time in the hood

Check out Sound Rider and the 5 days in the gorge run, you will love it!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #27
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 147
Great ride report and pictures! Looks like a GREAT trip maybe I can join you at some point. Anyway, cya in Moreno Valley in April!
1974 CT90's (2)

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
TwinDuro OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Thanks Glenn and looking forward to seeing you in Moreno Valley. Should be another great year of tiddler fiddling and tom foolery!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #29
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
thank you for sharing the RR

I sped through that part of the World once in a cage, and can't wait to get back there on a moto. I was only 11 when Mt Explody went off, and I can clearly remember going outside a few days later and seeing a super fine layer of ash on my old man's pick up truck. Considering we lived in West Virginia, that totally amazed me volcanic ash could travel so far.
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #30
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Nicely done, TwinDuro!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote