Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #31
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Pantah, yep, they think you're "stuntin'" But we know you're not. Thing is, most of those "sheriff's deps." in Cave Creek are volunteers. Nuff said!
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #32
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
I was riding my '92 EX500, on hwy 75 north out of Tulsa, OK. On my way to work. Just having a good ride, was paying attention to the cars and the road surface, and didn't notice my speed.

Until I got to the exit ramp to get off the highway and go to work. That's when I saw the Tulsa County Mountie in his Tahoe with the blue lights on behind me. I pulled over and stopped (Although there was an escape route, I didn't think about trying it) dismounted and turned off the engine. Mr. County Mountie stepped down from the Tahoe and said "Better take that helmet off, you won't need it in jail!". Got my helmet off, and he asked if my parents knew I was out riding that fast. I told him I don't know, they live in (Small town 40 miles to the northeast). Handed him my license and insurance, and he asked my age, I said I would be 30 in a couple of weeks. He informed me I was riding like a teenager, then asked me what the getup I was wearing was for. I told him the pants and jacket, and gloves, and helmet, are all part of the protective gear that I wear every time I start the engine and mount the saddle. He then asked me if I knew my speed, and I told him I honestly didn't look down at the gauges. He informed me that I was going 94 when he caught up with me, but at one point I was pulling away and his Tahoe wouldn't go any faster. He then told me I had a choice. I could either go to jail, get my bike towed, get a $500 ticket, or he could yell at me and tell me NEVER to be found riding a bike that fast again.

So he cussed me up one side and down the other, and then... Let me go. For 94 in a 65. I still can't believe it two years later.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #33
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Some cops do have a soul. Bless them and wish them well.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #34
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Actually, I'd like to amend my last post. Some of my very best friends have been LEOs. The vast majority that I've known and liked have been really good guys. (unless you feel the need to fuck with them). If so, YOYO, (you're on your own).
Old 12-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #35
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,058
I actaully really appreciate this thread, especially hearing what officers think and practice. I live in Alaska and also ride often through the Yukon and usually for us riding is all about staying alive in case we have to stop someplace because it could be a long stretch before somebody's home or a town of some sort. I ride with a rifle and with gear all of the time because we are always looking for food, most guys are cool with bikers unless we're stupid. Which, I confess to practice on occasion. I support what officers are doing and I appreciate their service, so I always treat officers with respect and honor and if I screwed up then I own it. If I didn't I would definitely hear it from my buddies that teach at the Trooper's academy.

I noticed that I do tend to get away with more when I'm riding a bike compated to when i'm driving my wife's truck, though. I think people tend to have more to talk about when your on a bike. But, my mistakes are usually legitimate- I rarely deliberately break the law. The only time I take my bike over a 100mph is when I'm on a sweet stretch of tarmac south of Whitehorse. I don't know there's something about the quality of the tarmac, grit size and elevation etc. But, it'a stretch of the Alcan that is surrounded by nothing, but thousands of miles of mountains and trees. The few times I've done it it was during a safer part of the day, as opposed to evening-more critters, with nobody around and I didn't even have traffic coming from the opposite direction. But for those of you dropping into Skagway, be careful because the speed limit changes on the U.S. side it is 40 miles an hour coming down the pass. People think it is still 50 mph. I've been pulled over for that before and the Skagway cop was cool. You kind of have to be in a small town, if your a real dick you don't last long, in any public service position, at least in Alaska.
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #36
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 248
Not an LEO but was riding down the 101 into San Francisco last year and was cruising around 85 in the HOV lane. Look in the rear view mirror and see a CHP gaining on me; figured oh well - deserve this ticket, speed limit is 65. CHP was riding a BMW bike. He pulls up next to me, looks up and down at my Tiger 955i, give me a thumbs up and disappears. I did keep my speed down from that point forward, well until I was in the central valley.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #37
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaJesus View Post
I believe 100+ would be a felony in some states.
Automatic "go to jail" in Oregon, and $1100 fine.

One day last July I was doing about a buck'o'five, checked the mirror, and there was a motor cop behind me; then my boss got on the radio and told me wick it up and see if he can keep up.

Any day you get to play instructor at a track day for motor cops is a good day.

The other 364 days a year, I try not to give them a reason to note how fast I'm going. Motor officers are nearly always on traffic duty, and they're expected to write tickets.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:20 AM   #38
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq View Post
sweet stretch of tarmac south of Whitehorse.
That's an awesome road - sweeper heaven!

duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #39
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #40
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
Each cop is different. I am usually all about attitude. I'm a city cop that works the hood so I'm usually run to run to run but when I do do traffic stops (usually on my way to or from work) it's usually all about attitude. I won't pull over sport bikes. I am not even going to take the chance because most of the time they run. The risk is not worth the reward. MotoGP of this year I did have a guy on a drz400 ride a 12 o clock wheelie past me in shorts and a tshirt and of course no helmet. I pulled him over, he happened to be carrying concealed, so I secured his weapon which looked like he just got it out of a mud hole, and explained to him I ride too and how he is an idiot for what he just did right in front of me.. in shorts.. with no helmet... and referred to his boots that look exactly like tennis shoes. Also explained how he is passing through a neighborhood where no one has licenses or insurance and if they hit him they will NOT stop or give a shit. I went back to my car. Texted an advrider friend about it to share the laugh and take some time so he though he was getting a ticket. Watched him sweat over the fine he thought he was getting and then gave him his gun back and told him to quit being an idiot. Sometimes making people wait to think there getting a ticket is worst than cutting them a ticket real fast.

But moral of my long useless story I wrote. Be polite and if the cop wants to write you a ticket for 5 over, let him be a douche and write you for 5 over. Unless its of course in a school zone with kids present. Then your the douche.
Freakin' awesome story. Thanks,
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #41
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Its not just the cop but also the jurisdiction that makes a difference. In VA, both the local cops and the State Police have shown to be fairly tolerant of higher speeds as long as I'm not being an idiot. MD is another matter entirely.

I also think the bike and the gear has a lot to do with it. An ATGATT guy on a BMW isn't exactly a menace to society and I think most cops appreciate that fact. They can pretty much figure that I'm not a drunken redneck, speed dealing hillbilly, punk on his first ride, a gangsta' with attitude or any other stereotype that attract the attention of law enforcement. The bike and the gear rightly or wrongly seems to give the impression that I know what I'm doing and they have so far, left me alone.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #42
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,056
I've participated in our "Catch and Release" program many times. Several cops in Indiana have told me that I'm the first rider they've pulled over all month that was licensed, sober, insured, polite, and wearing a helmet.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #43
shinysideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
My Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
I've participated in our "Catch and Release" program many times. Several cops in Indiana have told me that I'm the first rider they've pulled over all month that was licensed, sober, insured, polite, and wearing a helmet.
Is that humility and prudence go a long way. A few years ago I was on a K100 doing well over 100 on the Interstate in Eastern Oregon. The road was clear, no traffic, dry and sunny, visibility forever. Except apparently for the sandstone ledge the officer was parked behind obscured, waiting for an idiot just like me.

I saw the lights come on and immediately slowed, as immediate as you can at that speed anyway, and pulled over. When the officer came up to me, my helmet was off, drivers license and insurance card were in my hand, and my hands were in plain sight on the bars. He was pissed. He asked me if I had an excuse, my reply was "no sir". He asked if I knew how fast I was going, my reply was "no sir", he asked me if I was going to give him some bullshit story, my response was again, "no sir".

I was, and still am, clean cut, and now in my 50's, mid 40's at the time. He asked me if I was in the military, again I responded, you guessed it, "no sir". His response was, just polite huh? Again "yes sir". Why is that? he asked. My response was truthful, that "I had previously been taught respect at the end of a Texas police officers billy club". He laughed and asked if that was true, again, "yes sir". He asked if he would find any wants or warrants when he ran my DL, and the answer was "no sir".

He ran my DL, it came back clean and he wrote me a ticket for 70 in a 65. He explained to me that he could; impound my vehicle, take me to jail, that it was an immediate $1000 ticket, loss of drivers license for one year, and an SR22 with the insurance company. He also told me to slow it down so he wouldn't have to scrape me off the highway. When I thanked him for the ticket, it was genuine.

Cops are people. Some are assholes, most are just doing their job. I will always remember and be grateful for the break he provided me. I mostly ride dirt now. While I still have an Aprilia sport touring bike, I seldom ride more than 20 miles over the limit, mostly out of fear of other drivers, animals, and an ever increasing desire to die of old age a long time from now.

In my youth I thought, "if I want to do a buck twenty on the highway and kill myself, that is my business". Now I believe you put others at risk, make us all look bad, keep my insurance rates high because of your antics, and keep the law from doing what they should be doing. They have a place to test how fast you can corner or ride flat out on the straights, it's called a track.

Just my two cents. The weather must be shit. We are writing about riding rather than actually riding.

Happy Holidays!
shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #44
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
that post says a lot about growing up. and cops . and how to behave when stopped. thanks
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #45
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 217
Excellent thread and a glimpse on what is going on inside the complex LEO/Speeder dynamic. thanks.

My favorite cop story, as posted in my ride report on "Montana Quickie" was that I was easing into northern Montana on a twisty back road that circles around the eastern edge of Glacier National Park. Limit was 70 MPH and I recalled the days when MT didn't have a speed limit. Weather was great, traffic non-existent and I was just getting ready to wick up the 1200GS when I saw the blue lights fire up on my tail. Pulled over and a kid about 24 years old walks up. I shook my head and said "Shouldn't someone my age be giving someone your age a ticket?". he smiled and said I've got you at 74 in a 70 zone. My jaw fell. Then he said "I really am going to give you a warning but the real reason I stopped you is that I think I kmow what you are likely to be doing down the road and you need to know there are 15 horses loose on the road just over the divide.". Sure enough, the horses were there. The kid cop also told me that the corners were clear of gravel untill about 3 miles of Browning,MT. A great stop and a smoking fun ride. I'm indebted.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote