User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Oddometer: 804
Aerostich Roadcrafter - PITA?

Having never owned a Roadcrafter, but always planning on one "next year", I'm finally right on the edge of pulling the trigger on an R3. Love the Klim Badlands, the BMW Tourshell is nice stuff, but I just keep coming back to the simplicity of the 'stich. Aging, stodgy, outdated...yep, that suits me just fine . Also, I've tried many, but I've finally decided I really just don't love 3/4 length jackets on a bike. Too much fabric overlap and riding up going on.

However my one hangup is still that I may regret not being able to take the jacket off during stops. I normally ride with LDComfort shorts or tights, and a LDC shirt under either leathers or an older Road Gear suit, and just layer over that when it gets cold. On tour, with a Roadcrafter, wearing shorts would be great, except for the insane-guy look while wearing boots with shorts and a soaked shirt at restaurants or fuel stops. How do you stich people usually do it?
Old 12-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,805
Get a two piece zip together system

Greg
Old 12-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
rotarywing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Flip flops in the saddle bag solves the problem.

Love my stich
rotarywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,805
, ok...you make me burst out laughing! Great idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarywing View Post
Flip flops in the saddle bag solves the problem.

Love my stich
Old 12-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
grahamspc
Smitty

Oddometer: 178
I have a 2 pc....wear it as a 1 pc most of the time...take the jacket off at the diner...friend has a 1 pc and he just lets it fold at the waist at diner stop...winter months I wear the bib coverter on the pants and then it becomes a jacket and pants setup.
grahamspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
TebKLR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
I'm old enough that I don't give a shit about what people think I look like. I just wear my 'Stich in to the restaurant. Unzip part way if needed to adjust for temperature.....

Plus, wearing a road warrior road-stained 'Stich into a non-motorcycling environment is a great conversation starter!

TebKLR screwed with this post 12-08-2014 at 04:14 AM
TebKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
All of the above. Actually quite refreshing to just peel off whole suit and slip on some sandals. This was my preference if stop was more than a few minutes.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I had a one piece, stupidly sold it when I got fat. Later on when I got thin again I bought a two piece. I've used it ten years and have separated the two pieces twice.
The one piece is more comfortable due to not having two layers bunched up around your waist.
ericm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
monkey wrench
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Having never owned a Roadcrafter, but always planning on one "next year", I'm finally right on the edge of pulling the trigger on an R3. Love the Klim Badlands, the BMW Tourshell is nice stuff, but I just keep coming back to the simplicity of the 'stich. Aging, stodgy, outdated...yep, that suits me just fine . Also, I've tried many, but I've finally decided I really just don't love 3/4 length jackets on a bike. Too much fabric overlap and riding up going on.

However my one hangup is still that I may regret not being able to take the jacket off during stops. I normally ride with LDComfort shorts or tights, and a LDC shirt under either leathers or an older Road Gear suit, and just layer over that when it gets cold. On tour, with a Roadcrafter, wearing shorts would be great, except for the insane-guy look while wearing boots with shorts and a soaked shirt at restaurants or fuel stops. How do you stich people usually do it?
I have owned a one piece for 6 or 7 years. i use it for road riding/road touring. I don't like walking around in a full suit so I just take the whole thing off and store it in my top box. it takes only slightly longer to remove than a jacket which is also convenient for commuting. I just ordered a darian for duel sporting. maybe in a few months I'd be able to offer some comparison.
monkey wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post

The one piece is more comfortable due to not having two layers bunched up around your waist.

This is what I was hoping. And thanks very much for all the feedback so far. Light shoes or sandals in the bag would probably be the ticket. I normally ride with Combat Lite boots, so on/off if necessary is really no big deal, I suppose.
As much as I'd really like to have a new suit sooner, I'm considering a ride to Duluth after the snow melts to get fitted in person. I'm thinking if I go this route I might want the forward-rotated sleeves and the back ellipse. Probably not totally necessary on a bike like the FJR I'm on now, but I'm betting they'd still feel more natural when riding. I'm also kinda finicky about MC pants riding up, so I'd like a little more length in the leg than what I imagine the norm is, too.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:17 AM   #11
glenfeld
Middle aged crazy

Oddometer: 5
invest in getting sized for a perfect 'Stitch

I've worn a 'Stitch 2 piece for years - purchased thru eBay. It's a long & I should have a regular. That said, I visited the factory in Summer and spent the time to be sized by the nice people there for the ultimate. We figured that a regular trousers, and a short jacket with longer sleeves would be perfect - gets rid of the extra fabric when seated on bike. This is an idea for you - no one else can customize like Aero will. Beyond that, all comments noted above I agree with - when in 90+ in the Plains, I don't care how I look & do what I want. Good luck and keep safe on the road.
glenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #12
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
. . . considering a ride to Duluth after the snow melts to get fitted in person. . . . also kinda finicky about MC pants riding up, so I'd like a little more length in the leg . . . .
The folks at Aerostich are pros at fitting. I thought I could improve on their recommendation but that suit fit worse than what they recommended all along. 'Stich gear has generous leg and arm length to start with unlike other gear I've had. Your idea of going to Duluth is a good one.

For touring I like the Darien better since I can shed the jacket easily. The slim fit of the Darien pants works well when I want to leave then on but works against getting them off over bulky boots. If I want to shed the whole thing, the 1-pc RC is more convenient.

For extra fun with the soaked T-shirt, try some high-sulfur well water.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:19 AM   #13
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post

For extra fun with the soaked T-shirt, try some high-sulfur well water.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #14
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by TebKLR View Post
I'm old enough that I don't give a shit about what people think I look like. I just wear my 'Stich in to the restaurant. Unzip part way if needed to adjust for temperature.....
And pack with ice when going through the Badlands. . .. Works well.

For simplicity and range of use, you'd be hard pressed to beat the 'stich.
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by TebKLR View Post

Hey, let's face it. ANYONE posting a thread - or posting IN a thread - about clothing from Aerostich doesn't care that much about looks. But I still have a few standards.