User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
team ftb OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,759
High Quality P&S waterpoof camera

So here's the question. For years I've used a Luminix waterproof P&S camera to document my travels. It's been reliable and taking decent enough pictures.

However lately it has been acting up pretty bad and I've had this issue despite firmware reloads etc.

The picture are either blown out or not looking crisp with exposures etc.

Lately I have used my Canon S100 that takes what seems to my uneducated eyes better pictures.

Ideally what I would like is the same picture taking quality in a weatherproof P&S. I believe it is the image sensor that is the key behind the quality of the Canon S95 and 100series cameras. Are the any manufacturers making a comparable weatherpoof camera in the P&S size?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,951
Photos 2 and 3 are user error not camera error. You have large amounts of bright sky which is causing the camera to have exposure problems with the dark areas. Photo two looks like you might be pointing straight towards the sun on the right side of the image.

There are a ton of what camera should I buy threads on this forum and invariably you will get 500 replies and 700 different recommendations all based on "I have a camera X and its great". The reality is that in 2015 there is no such thing as a bad camera available on the market. Any camera you buy will work fine if used correctly and within its design capabilities.

Stick with the LUMIX and spend some time learning photography technique.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 3,097
Based on this review: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/249...camera-roundup
I got the Olympus TG-3 and I am happy with it. For higher quality weatherproof (not waterproof) use I have a Pentax K-30 DSLR that I also like very much. Pentax has lots of weatherproof lenses also.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:41 AM   #4
toecutta
06 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 176
hi team ftb
i have had 3 lumix cameras now. drowned 1 diving (>25m and it kept going for an additional 18 months), 1 the LCD craped out after 18 months of daily salt water use, the current is going strong. I too have noticed that their ability to handle back-lit conditions seems to drop off over time but have not worried about it as i give these little cameras a hard life. always in my bag and in salt water at least 2-3 times a week. the mrs is now looking for an upgrade (each camera had a primary "owner" in the family... i got the last update)

i have used sony P&S in a ikelite housing.. u can attach red filters for green water and GREATLY increase the quality of "wet" shots BUT.. its just a little too bulky for a every day convenient carry

i look forward to responses to this post as well (PS.. i am currently biased towards the canon range at the moment for next camera... just for a change)
toecutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:52 AM   #5
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,898
dpereviews reviews a lot of cameras and usually has an annual review of waterproof P&S cameras. They critique image quality and let you compare images from different cameras side-by-side.

2014:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/249...camera-roundup

2013 included a Lumix:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2013-waterproof-roundup

Then their "feature search" allows you to specify "waterproof" then select different sensor sizes:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/sea...&ref=mainmenu#!

While that search doesn't show any small P&S with larger sensors, it does show that about half of recent cameras use BSI-CMOS sensors which combine the advantages of CMOS and reduce some of the disadvantages (like light smear from bright spots).

So you can search for a newer sensor technology or just use the side-by-side image comparisons.

Good luck.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:46 PM   #6
team ftb OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
Photos 2 and 3 are user error not camera error. You have large amounts of bright sky which is causing the camera to have exposure problems with the dark areas. Photo two looks like you might be pointing straight towards the sun on the right side of the image.

Stick with the LUMIX and spend some time learning photography technique.

K1W1 - No doubt I am the first person to be in need or proper technique when taking pictures and well understand a lot of my pictures are shot using incorrect technique. One of the basics I know is get the sun behind me and do that everywhere I can. I chose the pictures above specifically knowing the the sun was to my quarter in both the pictures and yet the sky is continually over exposed. This is my grumble with the camera, it overexposes the sky even in situations it should not, or at least I think it should not, haha. It was not always like this, just over the last year. My prior Lumix Waterproof Camera did the exact same trait after two years of use. Hence why I'm looking for a change. Granted I'm in SEA where the sun is strong and frequently pics are shot at midday during the rides which is the least opportune time.

Anyway your advice is noted and appreciated, thank you.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:54 PM   #7
team ftb OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne View Post
Based on this review: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/249...camera-roundup
I got the Olympus TG-3 and I am happy with it. For higher quality weatherproof (not waterproof) use I have a Pentax K-30 DSLR that I also like very much. Pentax has lots of weatherproof lenses also.
Yes I read that review doing some research and have utilized that sight before when choosing my prior Lumix's. Thank you. It ranks at the top of the heap along with the Lumix in lots of tests, I was wondering if there was any other compact choices that may blur the lines of water and weatherproof I may be overlooking. i don't go diving with the camera I just frequently go swimming in the rivers unintentionally.

Above is with the Lumix with no sky and is acceptable.

I would love my Can S100 but don't want the bulk of a diving housing. I looked at the commercial plastic bag housing but they looked unergonomic in terms of handling and bulk also. Maybe another option is a simple Ziplock bag kept handy for the river crossings.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
team ftb OP
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
dpereviews reviews a lot of cameras and usually has an annual review of waterproof P&S cameras. They critique image quality and let you compare images from different cameras side-by-side.

2014:

2013 included a Lumix:

Then their "feature search" allows you to specify "waterproof" then select different sensor sizes:

While that search doesn't show any small P&S with larger sensors, it does show that about half of recent cameras use BSI-CMOS sensors which combine the advantages of CMOS and reduce some of the disadvantages (like light smear from bright spots).

So you can search for a newer sensor technology or just use the side-by-side image comparisons.

Good luck.

Thank you for the detailed response and suggestions Grinnin and I'll take a look to see if I can deduce which camera would offer what I'm looking for, much appreciated.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post

2014:

2013 included a Lumix:

Good luck.
I'm in the market for a new camera as well. Very helpful info, thanks!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:12 PM   #10
toecutta
06 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 176
is that curryinahurry with you FTB? if its not its his evil twin! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb;
[IMG
http://withgusto.smugmug.com/Other/updated-pics/i-7GcFxQk/0/L/P1070630-XL%5B1%5D-L.jpg[/IMG]
toecutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:40 PM   #11
Assero
Classic Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Ideally what I would like is the same picture taking quality in a weatherproof P&S. I believe it is the image sensor that is the key behind the quality of the Canon S95 and 100series cameras. Are the any manufacturers making a comparable weatherpoof camera in the P&S size?
Actually, IMHO, the limiting factor is not the sensor size but rather the need for the waterproof cameras to have one layer of additional toughened glass over the lens element. This results in a decrease of contrast and an increase in lens flare.

Like you I use a Lumix (TS4) for riding, and my wife's Sony RX-100 for "better quality" shots. The reduction in contrast is quite apparent irrespective of resolution.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:21 AM   #12
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,761
I'm in the kind of same position...take camera out of pocket whether it be raining or dry..point and shoot and ride after a pause. Video quality is a great seller for me. I take the odd clip here and there...needs to be compact too when not riding,fast enough to take out of pocket and film banter and stupidity of my fellow riders when it happens spontaneously

I wonder what this will turn out to be like...seems to be ideal....????

http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMCTS6O.html

Any thoughts from Inmates that know more than I do?

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #13
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,659
GoPro Hero3. I rarely take videos and after carrying both my Lumix and the Gopro for a couple years I found I like the very wide angle GoPro better for most outdoor scenic shots. Although it has it's limitations, for my Adv type rides it has worked out the better overall than my various Lumix cameras.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #14
gundrted
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
I use a Nikon AW100. It works well and I think they have a newer model now. I don't like the AWs UI, but it has a built in GPS and thats what I wanted.

I also use my Samsung Galaxy S4 with a Seidio waterproof case. Great pics.

Both units GeoTag the photos with your location. The Nikon sometimes takes a minute to lock the GPS but its nothing bad.
gundrted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #15
pwh
Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer: 60
I used a Lumix dmc-ts5.

Not really impressed with photo quality, but it's cheap enough to not worry about and durable.

pwh is offline   Reply With Quote