Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #166
doc dogg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyK View Post
I like the look of the chrome ones, I wonder how well they light up the road compared to the other lights on the market.
doc dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #167
ToddB
Mountain Tourer

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Re-post for good info!!

I checked out this guy's site and he has some really nice stuff especially
the 8 position fuse box. Thanks to Unstable Rider for finding this!!
-TB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
This fellow has some relay harness stuff already wired, for those that need a bit of assistance with the order of things. He has a great reputation.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #168
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc dogg View Post
I like the look of the chrome ones, I wonder how well they light up the road compared to the other lights on the market.
Friend who bought the "originals" and then some of these just bought another set of the linked ones for another bike. Based on his experience with both, I'm likely to buy a set of the linked ones.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #169
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyK View Post
If you decide to buy them, please post teardown pictures like I did. Would be interesting to compare their guts.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:44 AM   #170
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer: 1,906
Based on my experience with clones.
They are great. but not as good as the original.

The lens quality is pathetic and that affects the beams capability.
I got spot (15 deg) that are more like euro beam (30 deg), i wanted a euro beam .
The beam's "spot" fades quickly about 150m away from the bike to a mush white.
The lens also throws alot of light to the sides, unlike the "spot" it needs to be.
My 1W led maglite puts a more concentrated beam.

Quality wise time will tell but for quater of the price they are the best.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #171
genka
SUV hater

I did a little bit of reading on the subject, trying to understand the optics better than what I learned in high school. Forming a correct beam is not a trivial task, and understanding the basic laws of physics is as important as the quality of the materials. If you are into these things this article may be of interest http://www.mikewoodconsulting.com/ar...%20Etendue.pdf
Both brand name and Chinese lights form their beams with TIR reflectors. TIR (total internal reflection) lenses don't use mirrors and made of a clear acrylic.

There are different designs of the reflectors for different shapes of the beam. The Denali light uses an additional diffusers to make the beam a bit wider. Clearwater Krista, which are one of the most expensive lights on the market, are also based on TIR reflectors.

They appear to use a 12W version of Seoul Semiconductors P7 LED emitter.
From what I learned, I wouldn't call these Chinese lights "clones". They use high quality American Cree LEDs and commercially available TIR reflectors- probably Chinese. Top quality TIR reflectors for different beam shapes are available, and would be interesting to experiment with. Although even the best reflector will not form a road legal beam.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #172
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Gene, we need to have several drinks some day so I can get my head around what you are saying!

Seriously, you never fail to impress me with your explainations, and how easy they are to understand!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #173
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
They appear to use a 12W version of Seoul Semiconductors P7 LED emitter.
From what I learned, I wouldn't call these Chinese lights "clones". They use high quality American Cree LEDs and commercially available TIR reflectors- probably Chinese. Top quality TIR reflectors for different beam shapes are available, and would be interesting to experiment with. Although even the best reflector will not form a road legal beam.
Mine are CREE 10w led with a great looking TIR reflector but they still seem to spread way more then what i would expect a 15 deg pencil lens as it is described.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #174
genka
SUV hater

Jim, I'm trying not to venture beyond my competencies, and my knowledge of optics is basic. I'd be glad if someone who knows more would pitch in. There is a good discussion in Baja Design thread in vendors.
Ararat, even the best TIR reflector is too simple to provide automotive quality beam. Almost all aftermarket lights have a bright spot in the center surrounded by a "halo" of spillover light.
The "pencil beam" should only be used offroad or to complement the high beam with absence of the oncoming traffic. They don't provide good daytime visibility.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #175
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Baja designs squadron lights or jw speaker ts3000r lights

Best for what it does. But it ain't cheap.

andrewhtf screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 10:55 PM
andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #176
genka
SUV hater

These lights are very different. Baja Squadron are regular offroad lights, similar to the 10W discussed here, but they pack 4 of everything and draw 40W. You can find similar lights on ebay. JWSpeaker makes highway legal DOT complaint lights. I think they are the sole maker of DOT LED lights for bikes. Also they OEM for Harley.

As you can see, the optics look strikingly different from all other aftemarket lights.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #177
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
they may be different, but to me, their purpose is the same, that is to throw lights bright and far enough to see where I'm going. :)

that being said, over here in my place, the enforcement on lighting regulation are quite lax, So i took advantage of it by installing offroad lights on my bike and used it on road.
andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #178
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,435
Just a comment, if you can solder, those cheap LED lights are quite repairable.

One of the connections on mine popped loose, and I didn't think enough when soldering it back on, result, one dead no-name 7W LED.

Curse, hit ebay, O.K. good price for 10W CREE LED's, replaced all four for $20.

Now, before someone jumps in, the originals used 7W LED's, but it's the driver that determines the current so I shouldn't gain any more light - true enough. But the newer LED's are more efficient, and have a slightly higher voltage drop. The result could perhaps be called excessive in the light department

Just FYI for anyone else who has a failure, it's not unrecoverable and the repair may be 'better' than the original.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #179
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMartillo View Post
Final install with welded-on mounting tabs.

These lights are bright, with my high beams on they really increase my ability to see far at night.

The daytime driving lights make me more visible to motorists during the day.

Total cost about $270 including the four lights, two relays, additional wire, shrink tube, connectors, mounting tabs and a lit switch for the handlebars.

Cheers!
I'd worry about obstruction of airflow to the oil coooler with this set-up. The lamps (and rock guard grill) are bound to restrict needed air to the cooler. Just sayin.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #180
genka
SUV hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
they may be different, but to me, their purpose is the same, that is to throw lights bright and far enough to see where I'm going. :)
Really? Why do you think they have high and low beams? Do they look the same for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
that being said, over here in my place, the enforcement on lighting regulation are quite lax, So i took advantage of it by installing offroad lights on my bike and used it on road.
Using high powered spot lights on a public roads is rude and dangerous. And using dimmers doesn't help. If you reduce the power to the extend the light will not blind the oncoming traffic, they will not illuminate the road.