Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
jearnshaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Think I bought the wrong bike... I have searching the past two weeks on a decent set of LED lights for my Honda Shadow.
jearnshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #17
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,490
What year is your GS?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Jim
Conspicuity favorites are Hella Micro DE Fogs. An extra $35-50 and you convert them to HID from H3. Excellent cut-off, best I've ever seen, and the projector lens is visible from wide angles due to the convex shape. Someone just offed a pair very cheap on bmwst.com.

Driving favorites are Wally world $20 tiny rectangular H3 lamps uprated to 100W.

Currently using Mondomotos (vendor thread) Bullet LEDs http://www.mondomotos.com/product/MM10aux/ to augment the already well designed R12RT lamp system. So, I have a bit of an unfair perspective. They are a little bit of a floody pattern for a true old-fashioned driving light that used to be considered a pencil beam. They fill in the balance of the roadside quite well though. Not really a long range lamp however. I suspect they would have augmented my R11RT HID headlamp quite well on high beam though. That might be closer to a GS setup comparison.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #19
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jearnshaw View Post
Think I bought the wrong bike... I have searching the past two weeks on a decent set of LED lights for my Honda Shadow.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #20
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
Jim
Conspicuity favorites are Hella Micro DE Fogs. An extra $35-50 and you convert them to HID from H3. Excellent cut-off, best I've ever seen,
Or, if you HID convert them and flip them over so the cutoff is on the bottom of the beam they make awesome driving lights out in very dark rural areas. I recently did this on one of my bikes (tied into the high beam) and think it's a great bang for the buck in the lighting department.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #21
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Or, if you HID convert them and flip them over so the cutoff is on the bottom of the beam they make awesome driving lights out in very dark rural areas. I recently did this on one of my bikes (tied into the high beam) and think it's a great bang for the buck in the lighting department.
Why would you tie HIDs into the high beam? Does the delayed startup time affect the way you use them?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #22
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Why would you tie HIDs into the high beam? Does the delayed startup time affect the way you use them?
There's no delay in startup. They come right on with the high beam.

(OK. Technically I know there's SOME delay in startup but its in milliseconds so it's not noticeable to my slow lizard brain.)

They're tied into the high beam so I don't fry the retinae of oncoming drivers. They go off when I click off my high beam.

duck screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 01:08 PM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #23
atgatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jearnshaw View Post
Dude, like, no way!

I own a 2005 Honda Shadow Aero. Put some clearwater glenda LED lights on last winter and they have been great.
atgatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #24
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
I'm very happy with Sanjoh's advmonster lights. Good quality, good price, and excellent service after the sale. It's nice to have an active member on here that can answer any questions in a very timely manner.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #25
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,098
Quote:
What year is your GS?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #26
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 375
These worked well for me.

http://www.realtimeindustries.com/pr...0Lm-12V-light-

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #27
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
My wife's new car is HID only from the factory. Pull the lever back during the day to flash the high beam and the HIDs are on instantly, along with a mechanical 'clunk' as it moves the light to high beam. The HIDs that I have added to my bikes main headlights come on instantly. About two seconds later you can see it switch from startup, to main power, and it gets a bit brighter over the next 10 seconds as it warms up. But startup is very good and I may be converting my driving lights to HID soon. Biggest issue is that they aren't dimmable for running light use.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #28
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
My wife's new car is HID only from the factory. Pull the lever back during the day to flash the high beam and the HIDs are on instantly, along with a mechanical 'clunk' as it moves the light to high beam. The HIDs that I have added to my bikes main headlights come on instantly. About two seconds later you can see it switch from startup, to main power, and it gets a bit brighter over the next 10 seconds as it warms up. But startup is very good and I may be converting my driving lights to HID soon. Biggest issue is that they aren't dimmable for running light use.
Does a new high beam HID turn on when you hit the high beams? Or does the low beam just move? I've only ever seen the HID bulb move for high beams, because of the lag time for brightness. I'd imagine that the HID bulb moving is the mechanical clunk that you're hearing.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #29
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
I had HID both high and low beam on my old GS. The high was fine. When flash to pass is initiated there is an initial surge that was way brighter than the stcok low beam. Then in a few seconds it got even brighter. The R1200GS has reflectors that are particularly suited to the HID bulb.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #30
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,224
I bought their Bicycle light and never use it in the brightest mode... this is one awesome light and has been trouble free for a year now. nice stuff!!

Quote:
Reasonably priced and they put out ADVmonster starting around $100 a pair for inmates. Promotion code in the vendor forum.

Read what other ADVriders are saying in my vendor thread.

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote