Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #91
Weekend Warrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I put on the Model 44's from Sanjoh at advmonster with the dimmer and wired the high beam into my stock high beam switch.

I run them on all the time and they have been working flawlessly the whole time, including about 8500 miles of road and 600 miles of dirt.

They put out lots of light in the lower setting and blinding light on high beam. I want other cars to see me when I am riding and it works..

Weekend Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #92
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 261
Buddy of mine has a lighting business, we found these LED auxiliary lights that seem to be duplicates of the original Twisted Throttle Denali lights. Fraction of the cost at $59 each, they list 750 lumens drawing .75 amps and include the stainless mount. Of course, they don't include a wiring harness or any type of switch, but I like a little DIY anyway...

I got one pair with a 60 degree beam for use as driving lights which I haven't mounted yet:

And another pair with 20 degree beams that I have wired with a relay to come on with the high beams. The mounts are temporary until I decide for sure this is where I want them. I like the location, they are protected from impact in case of a fall and don't seem to obstruct air flow to the oil cooler:

I have converted both my headlights to HID, so I like the "instant-on" of the LEDs when I turn on the high beam, and the two of them add possibly as much light up front as my 35-watt HID high beam alone.

I'll post some pics of the light output after I install my wide-angle driving lights.

Cheers!
ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #93
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,349
Where did you find those? And when you say they are just like the Denali lights, id you compare the two side by side or are you basing that off just the shape that you've seen?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #94
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Where did you find those? And when you say they are just like the Denali lights, id you compare the two side by side or are you basing that off just the shape that you've seen?
To clarify, I said "they seem to be duplicates". This is my opinion. I am basing this opinion on the listed specs, and the physical appearance of the lights compared in photographs and according to my memory of some Denali lights a friend had.

Some obvious differences: As I mentioned it comes as shown with no wiring harness or switch. It does come with about 18" of wire, coupled with a nice waterproof connector. Also, only one lens is supplied, though I had a choice of beam angle: 20 deg, 60 deg, 120 deg. The 120 degree lenses appear to be completely clear with no reflector in the housing, and you can see the internals through the lens. I didn't care for the way these looked so I got the 20 degree and 60 degree.

Listed specs of the lights I have:

Packaging says the LED is "Cree".

Size: 2" x 2" x 2.4"
Power: 10W
Voltage: 9 ~ 60 VDC
Luminous Flux: 750 lm
Color Temp: 5000K
Waterproof: Submersible IP68
Material: Heavy duty die-cast aluminum housing
PC/PMMA lens, stainless steel bracket
Weight: 0.2 kg

BTW, they come in black or white powdercoat finish. I have the black, I have not seen the white in person.

I can't say where I got them, as my buddy gave me a "wholesale" price, but if you want me to get you a pair PM me.

I'm happy with 'em, and I'll post light output comparison photos when I get the driving lights installed on my crash bars.

Cheers!

ElMartillo screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 09:56 PM
Old 02-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #95
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 792
$22 each from flea bay.

Working out well so far. I painted the fins black, and had to do a bit of water proofing, but I think they will last.

worwig screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 02:42 PM
worwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #96
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Final install with welded-on mounting tabs.

These lights are bright, with my high beams on they really increase my ability to see far at night.

The daytime driving lights make me more visible to motorists during the day.

Total cost about $270 including the four lights, two relays, additional wire, shrink tube, connectors, mounting tabs and a lit switch for the handlebars.

Cheers!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #97
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,981
Very clean!

Do you have a close-up of the mounting tabs?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #98
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Do you have a close-up of the mounting tabs?

Jim
Thanks Jim.

I used the same tabs on the side of the bike for the driving lights. Got 'em at a local welding shop, sold under the name Fab-Tech, I think. Cost approx $2.40 each, a little pricey for what it is.

Tacked-on, checking position:

Rattle-can paint job for now. One more mod to my pannier racks and I'll send everything in for powdercoat:

Stainless fasteners, of course:

Cheers!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #99
GarlicSon
InnerCity Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
i use led aux. it called "luxeon" in my country (indonesia)

it's only 10 watt. i have pair of it, so it's only 20 watt

the lights :

when i use another leds, look a like 3000k hid :

in my country the cheapest led aux light is luxeon. about 200.000 IDR

but cree is very awesome, but too expensive for me. in my country it's 800.000 IDR for one piece

*pardon my english *

Enjoy Indonesia
GarlicSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #100
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
They seem to be very similar to these lights http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...734264876.html

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #101
genka
SUV hater

I installed 30W LEDs from China almost 2 years ago. They have a flood pattern- not o good for distance, but great for visibility. Because the light is so spread out, thy don't blind the oncoming traffic that much, but are very noticeable under any lighting conditions, including bright sunlight.

Light output:

H7 High Beam

Aftermarket HID low beam

LED lights

LEDs + HID low

LEDs + High

LEDs +High + HID Low.

High + HID Low

Camera settings were 1/2s f/8 ISO1600. No editing other than resizing.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #102
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
They seem to be very similar to these lights http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...734264876.html
Looks like a duplicate of the light I have, right down to the mounting accys/tools provided. Great price if the quality is there. Two differences: it lists 30 deg beam only, whereas mine had the option of 20 deg, 60 deg or 120 deg. I know the specs list doesn't guarantee any amount of accuracy of the info, but I opted for the 20 & 60. Also, listed 6000K to my 5000k color temp, which is insignifigant as I wouldn't know the difference by looking at them anyway. Although mine are made in China, I bought from a reputable stateside company. Might make returns easier, should I need to do so.

Good find!
Old 02-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #103
genka
SUV hater

ElMartillo, did you lights come with 3 different lenses or you had to pick one at the time of the purchase? I agree that buing form a local source often makes sense taking into account potential warranty issues. If anything bought in China fails, the only option would be to trash it. Although my lights work fine for almost 2 years in any kind of weather.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #104
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMartillo View Post
Thanks Jim.

I used the same tabs on the side of the bike for the driving lights. Got 'em at a local welding shop, sold under the name Fab-Tech, I think. Cost approx $2.40 each, a little pricey for what it is.

Tacked-on, checking position:

Rattle-can paint job for now. One more mod to my pannier racks and I'll send everything in for powdercoat:

Cheers!
Nice! I didn't even know those existed!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #105
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
ElMartillo, did you lights come with 3 different lenses or you had to pick one at the time of the purchase? I agree that buing form a local source often makes sense taking into account potential warranty issues. If anything bought in China fails, the only option would be to trash it. Although my lights work fine for almost 2 years in any kind of weather.
Lights came with one lens, installed. No option to get additional lenses only. The 120 degree light appeared to have no reflector at all and a clear lens, all the internals visible. I didn't care for the look and I wanted the driving lights with a diffused lens so I opted for the 60 degs. The 20 degree lens has a reflector and really focus the light in a spot. Great for augmenting the high beam. I'm happy with my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Nice! I didn't even know those existed!
Many different prefab tabs available. These were the right gauge, shape. I could have made them out of some scrap tube but I just wanted to get the job done. Making them myself I'd have saved $9.75 but spent an hour doing it!

Cheers!