ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #31
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
No.. I have not registered it yet.. I'm wondering if its still registered to the PO. Can I unregister my 60Csx, register my 478 and then load my maps up on it? I'm just cringing at buying a prehistoric data card.. lol
If it is still registered to another, you have to call them, if it is not reported stolen, they will clear the registration after 7 days for you.

un-registering the old unit will NOT let you use your old maps, as stated the maps are married to one unit only! The ONLY way to get the maps transferred to another unit is if Garmin replaced the unit as part of a repair, Period end of discussion!!!

The more I think about it the more I am sure once you register the unit it will let you continue the lifetime updates and access 5the maps for your computer. It is a 20 minute process at most to find out.

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #32
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,891
It will depend who you talk to there. I got them to unlock one mapset to both my 276 and 478. A no-no, but I convinced
If your Lifetime maps are unlocked already to another unit, I doubt they will transfer them to another untit you just bought. Technicly, they are lifetime updates to the unit it is originaly married to.
As stated above, the only time they will transfer the unlock is from a Garmin repair/exchange. In fact I just did this 3 weeks ago. 2013.3 on my "newly refurbed" Garmin sent back.

Now registering the unit you just bought. My buddie bought one somewhere that was already registered. Garmin would not register it. He had to contact the registered owner. They have to release the registration. Garmin would not.
Another case of "who you talk to at Garmin"

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #33
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Lucked Out!

Well.. I know it doesn't help others out there.. but I was able to get the PO to let me get into his account and update my local maps.. I'll probably just buy the garmin account from him so its fair and the lifetime maps stay with the unit.

When I sell my 60Csx I'll probably offer up the same thing with it... makes it easier on all of us! Thx for the help...

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #34
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Well.. I know it doesn't help others out there.. but I was able to get the PO to let me get into his account and update my local maps.. I'll probably just buy the garmin account from him so its fair and the lifetime maps stay with the unit.

When I sell my 60Csx I'll probably offer up the same thing with it... makes it easier on all of us! Thx for the help...

Well now you have access to his account, just change his username and password, and your good to go

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote