User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Hennepinboy OP
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 446
Home made tire changer

My brother and I are building clones of the No Mar Pro tire changer. The difference in the one we are building and the No Mar is that we will be using the spool type tire gripping spools, not the cam locks. Yesterday we finished the base, the arms and the tire mounts that slide on the arms. We will be able to hold a 10" to 24" rim.

We made drawings of the No Mar changer at the MOA Rally, some where we lost the one with the dimensions for the arm that supports the center pivot post. We would like to know how high the horizontal bar is above the rim 2 or 3 feet?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
ChrisE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
You've got to be kidding, right? You're stealing someone's idea and livelihood and you are asking dimensions.

Freaking disgusting
'05 BMW R1200RT
'98 Yamaha R1
'93 Bimota DB2
'76 Honda CB400F
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,558

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,392
Like the GL thread only different.

I predict JM or Head Explody for this one.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
You've got to be kidding, right? You're stealing someone's idea and livelihood and you are asking dimensions.

Freaking disgusting
+1

The least you could do is have the decency to buy one first and then copy it. Don't forget to send production to China too.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post

Freaking disgusting
+1

I have a No Mar in my garage right now, bolted to the floor. Not going to measure it. If you want to build your own, engineer it from scratch.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Buy one, take the measurements you need AND KEEP IT you bought it. Then you will not need to make one

Seriously, stealing is not cool
BluByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
creidADVrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
This is too funny! I can't believe this clown thought someone would tell him that measurement. BALLZ.
creidADVrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,036
I measured the arm on mine.

It is 589.34 hectares long.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:50 AM   #10
Jimmy B.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
how long..........

205 centainchmeters
Old 12-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #11
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
What, you guys seem to think patent infringement is against the law or something. Gosh, who would ever have thought that.

Two brothers who would make a father proud. Dumb.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #12
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,038
You guys are ridiculous.

Give me a break. He's not going to sell it for profit. If he has the ability and the skills to make his own based on a design that works, who the fuck cares? Don't forget the fact that he is modifying the design anyway. Everything ever made is "stealing" somebody else's idea. What about all you losers with KLRs who hack together side case brackets with unistrut/pipe to mount cases and top boxes with? How is this not "stealing somebody else's idea?" What about making bash and skid plates from stop signs or sheet metal? You do realize you're copying the design of somebody else, right? What about hand gaurds for the grips? OMG...what about making a workbench in the garage? You can buy those commercially you know! What about that dude who is making aluminum paniers in his garage and SELLING THEM? His paniers look exactly like those you can buy from other manufacturers yet I didn't see anyone jumping his shit in that forum. YOu think he applied for a patent on those? This forum is chalk full of dudes super proud of themselves and getting plenty of "Attaboys" for making shit they could buy based on the same design. You're stealing ideas! Dogs and cats sleeping together! What shall we do? And this is all coming from a guy who fabricates stuff for a living. People like building shit they see, get over it.

OP I suggest you go to NoMar's website and study the photographs and videos carefully. You'll be able to get enough info from visually comparing things to make one that works for you.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 12-06-2011 at 05:47 AM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:16 AM   #13
rustbucket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I'm with LuciferMutt - he's building something for his use, people! If he wanted to mass produce and sell them, yeah that's shady. Nothing wrong with a little backyard engineering, and there's no reason to reinvent the wheel(changer)!
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #14
Crazy_Dave
Back'in it in

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
You guys are ridiculous.

Give me a break. He's not going to sell it for profit. If he has the ability and the skills to make his own based on a design that works, who the fuck cares? Don't forget the fact that he is modifying the design anyway. Everything ever made is "stealing" somebody else's idea. What about all you losers with KLRs who hack together side case brackets with unistrut/pipe to mount cases and top boxes with? How is this not "stealing somebody else's idea?" What about making bash and skid plates from stop signs or sheet metal? You do realize you're copying the design of somebody else, right? What about hand gaurds for the grips? OMG...what about making a workbench in the garage? You can buy those commercially you know! What about that dude who is making aluminum paniers in his garage and SELLING THEM? His paniers look exactly like those you can buy from other manufacturers yet I didn't see anyone jumping his shit in that forum. YOu think he applied for a patent on those? This forum is chalk full of dudes super proud of themselves and getting plenty of "Attaboys" for making shit they could buy based on the same design. You're stealing ideas! Dogs and cats sleeping together! What shall we do? And this is all coming from a guy who fabricates stuff for a living. People like building shit they see, get over it.

OP I suggest you go to NoMar's website and study the photographs and videos carefully. You'll be able to get enough info from visually comparing things to make one that works for you.
F%$king awesome.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #15
Hennepinboy OP
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
You guys are ridiculous.

Lucifermutt Thank you for your commet.
We have no plans to sell anything. Just keeping ourselves busy with a home project, something we can use.
We could have done a wood working project, build some chair or tables, copying a design. We decide to build tire changers using what we believe the best designs of several manufactures. We are making the changer so it breaks down easily for storage, improving the design.
If it makes any of you happy we did purchase the No Mar dismounting bar, (we decided that we could purchase it cheaper than make it ourselves, and you get lifetime replacement of the tips), the tire mount spools, the Yellow Thing and tire lube.
I have a garage full of homemade tools and a house with homemade furniture. I prefer homemade cookies and beer.