Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
arjones OP
Roads and Waves

Oddometer: 176
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
subscribed..... I'll be riding down there with you soon!!

Awesome. I'm at a BMW dealer changing tires (I will go with the Mitas E 07). Let's see how it works with lots of tarmac and dirt all together... Later I will update this with the last two days. Meanwhile, waiting for my lovely wife to arrive so we can keep the good vibes!
arjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Wow, incredible. Great to see bike riders doing something, most never think to try. ADV has started more adventure than we have RR I'm sure.

Subscribed
Old 12-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #18
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,944
Thumb Subscribed!

I'm looking forward to the rest of this one. Have a wonderful time together!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
arjones OP
Roads and Waves

Talking Thanks everybody!

[QUOTE=tundradirtbiker;20292220]Wow, incredible. Great to see bike riders doing something, most never think to try. ADV has started more adventure than we have RR I'm sure.

Thank you tundradirtbiker, we gonna have some good times around here (well, I guess it already begun...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelo5sur View Post
Boa Viajem ,enjoy and ride safe !
Gracias hombre. It will be a pleasure to be in Chile again. Las empanadas de pino, hummmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
I'm looking forward to the rest of this one. Have a wonderful time together!
Yeah!! Welcome aboard man! Now I must take extra care of my photographs. Please, be kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pceire32 View Post
Maybe you could take a photo of your route on a map and post that if you can get a good shot.
Thanks pceire32! I guess you will have a better view of the trip so far in the very next post!!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #20
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,354
Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Waiting for more.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #21
arjones OP
Roads and Waves

In a few minutes, sir...

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Waiting for more.
I guess I should thank you for join in. One more minute and you will have something more than words
Old 12-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #22
arjones OP
Roads and Waves

Let's put this thing up to date!

First of all, let me give you a bigger picture of what is going down until now (thanks for the heads up pceire32!)

This is my country and, as you may know, it's big.

Sorry if it seems to be very "unprofessional" but this is (roughly) my route until now

It's a mix of one of the major and most important Brasil's roads and some empty ones. This major one is BR 116 and it's busy, to the point that some times you just get as scared as you could. Unfortunately, the most important way to take care of the production's distribution is by trucks, which lead us to this:

I take it as part of the adventure. But, yes, some times you feel like you could almost shit your pants! At the same time it goes trough very beautiful places as you saw in my second and third posts.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #23
arjones OP
Roads and Waves

We will need a few more words...

Until now, the best part of the trip so far was Minas Gerais state. This is because of its historical background, the scenery, people and last, but not least, the almost endless possibilities to fulfill any dream of any type of biker - road bikes, dirt, dual, cruisers... you name it.

In the second half of XVIII century, this area was the most important one to Portugal (which was our equivalent to England for U.S.A. during the colonial period). It had lots of gold. Up to the point that the Portuguese Empire got an especial regulation for gold trade, mining, the slave trade and so on. The Catholic Church was there as well, as a statement of wealth and, let's say, spiritual presence - maybe ideological control as well? This caused the oppression felt in other parts of the colonial world in a time of French Revolution and the spread of the ideas of philosophers like Adam Smith, Montesquieu, Rousseau, Diderot and others. By the time when Luis the XVI had his head off by the guillotine, Tiradentes - allegedly leader of a frustrated rebellion - was hanged in a public square as a reminder of the Portuguese Authority...

Well, my friends, with some reading and a bike you can almost feel the smell of Brasil's History in Minas Gerais!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #24
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 587
Great post and photos. Thank you very much for the maps. It really helps a lot.

Ride safe.

Happy Xmas.
pceire32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #25
arjones OP
Roads and Waves

Cool2 Now, the good stuff.

The third day was something else... I mean, I've been riding in Minas before, but this time I was more proactive in the "getting lost type of ride". So, I knew where I wanted to go BUT, I wanted to do it in a different way. So after that second beautiful day riding empty roads, I end up in Mariana, the first city and capital of Minas Gerais. And by the morning I was greeted by a beautiful day. What? The third day would, could be better than the previous one?

Humm... let's check it out. First, let's get blessed by the sun in front of one of the many beautiful catholic temples you can find here

And off we go to Ouro Preto, the biggest, wealthier and major player of Portuguese Authority in the area during second half of the XVIII century. And you can see it between the mountains:

This one is the wife's favorite

And here the square where Tiradentes was hanged. His body was divided in several parts and ended in different cities so people would take notice of what be against Portugal could mean...

To be continued... As I can't keep my eyes open anymore... I thought I could wrap up days 3, 4 and 5 today Good night.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #26
arjones OP
Roads and Waves

Talking Let me update this before the world ends...

So I kept my quest of lonely roads and I found, in the middle of a touristic one, some signs of fun. This touristic, main road is forbidden for trucks and, well, it was Tuesday so almost nobody on the road again:. It goes the same way of the Estrada Real (royal route/road), a path that connected mining areas in Bahia, Minas Gerais all the way down to Rio de Janeiro back in the XVIII century. Lots of slaves lost their lives in this task (to build the path). It was important to Portugal to keep only one path to allow the gold trade so the taxes collectors could be more efficient. To get caught doing mining or trading gold without permitting or off the limits would be bad for your pockets or worst for your body... Well the path is there nowadays as part of o good tarmac road, but don't worry - when you see this road sign, get you and your bike off road!!!!

Go trough some beautiful vales

on a well graded road (not so good at times, but for those more skilled than me, a fast dirt road)

I found myself all alone during hours, contemplating all the green Minas Gerais had to offer

It will lead you again to the tarmac again some 10-15 km later, but you will find it again. Just pay attention to the road signs... and go again to lost yourself. But don't forget to take some breaks, find some shade, the heat can be annoying...

I kept this on/off road thing for hours and then, I started to go south to another tiny city so I could find some rest and process all the lonesomeness and silence that I experienced in the middle of so much beauty, made by man or nature. And guess what? This was on an empty, lonely road again!!!!

Stay tuned...
Old 12-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #27
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
I am in as well! Beautiful country that is filled with history. Just out of curiosity have you enconutered any wild life?

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #28
arjones OP
Roads and Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
I am in as well! Beautiful country that is filled with history. Just out of curiosity have you enconutered any wild life?

Later
John
Lots of birds, nothing that we "brasileiros" wouldn't be used to so no pics, sorry... But I didn't expect any "really wild" life. We are venture in a very old part of Brasil in terms of settlement... so, lots of green but with civilization really close.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #29
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 587
In terms of miles how many miles from the start to finish of your trip ?

How many miles are you doing a day ?

Thank you

Paul C
pceire32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #30
arjones OP
Roads and Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by pceire32 View Post
In terms of miles how many miles from the start to finish of your trip ?

How many miles are you doing a day ?

Thank you

Paul C
Hi Paul!! It's nice to see you here everyday!! It makes me even more committed to keep this RR in the best shape I can. Thank you.
Well until now I rode 1.800 miles... In previous trips, we could ride up to 497 miles a day. This trip is a little different, first because Minas Gerais where I spent some time wondering around. And it's not as long as the last ride we did down south. Therefore we are not into doing to many miles a day. That means more photos in this RR!! So, if we do the math we can find an average of 360 miles a day since last Sunday (when I rode something around 485 miles).

Thanks for the compliments and merry xmas to you and your beloved ones.