User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
jlsworks OP
Acid Stained

Oddometer: 800
93 mpg Kawi 250 Ninja, Vetter Fuel Challenger

This rolled up into my neighborhood this evening. It's Alan Smith's entry into Craig Vetter's Fuel Challenge. He just arrived from California, he has been doing 500+ miles a day, avg 95 mpg yesterday, 91 mpg today. The intense heat, cross winds and atmosphere have been tough for him on that I-40 stretch from NM, TX into OK today.

It's Alan's own design, fabricated by him, even the hand-made mirrors, what a great fellow too. He didn't have his helmet off before I was darting across the circle and asking questions. It's 102 degrees this afternoon, 30 mph winds, and he was smiling and generous with his time after a long day in the saddle.

It's a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 10K miles, mostly stock other than the obvious modifications. 1.4 gallons of fuel in 133 miles. Apparently, quite a bit of sensitive carb tuning goes into this and today's atmospheric conditions didn't help much.

He's competing against a few fellows here.
http://craigvetter.com/pages/2011-%2...nge-rules.html

Welcome to Oklahoma Alan, I hope you enjoy your stay.

James

jlsworks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Bicyclist
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
If the bike is still there, run out quick and take a pic of the all important back end. How does the taper look?
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
jlsworks OP
Acid Stained

Oddometer: 800
Okay...

jlsworks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
IxKaCKxI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Wow, that is amazing! 93MPG?!?!?!

So this is just due to some tuning and the aerodynamic work?!?

Wow!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
I appreciate the effort for fuel efficiency, but the minimal power combined with the inability to ride it in the summer mean I wouldn't want to ride one...

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I appreciate the effort for fuel efficiency, but the minimal power combined with the inability to ride it in the summer mean I wouldn't want to ride one...
I'd give it a try. When will kits be available?
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,762
Excellent pizza delivery vehicle.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:08 AM   #8
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,944
the dude must be 3'8" to fit inside that small area
Old 07-01-2011, 04:43 AM   #9
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,719
Excellent.

Our choice of transportation usually returns very good fuel mileage, but overall we aren't very "green" due to emissions. Something like this aero-Ninja shows the way towards even better fuel economy and therefore lowered emissions/mile.

Sorry we ever traded our little 250R in last year- it was a fun bike to ride.

The 93 mpg Ninja looks like quite a bit of try this then try that- nice build.

I got my MotoMatters calendar, did you?
DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,425
Interesting. I wonder how much weight all that extra kit has added -- I would guess that 93 MPG is only achievable in long straight goes and around town it probably gets worse mileage than a stock 250 due to the extra weight.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Thanks for posting this, interesting on what can be done to further increase fuel efficiency on the Ninja 250, no less...
Tony
Old 07-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #12
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,858
Just random thoughts as this is not my thing...

But I can't imagine a downward spinning tire creating that much drag?

Specially in comparison to the bulbous fairing weight to increased slipstream ratio...

Why not two vortex generators or spoilers, one per side, parallel along side the forks?

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 07-01-2011 at 07:33 AM Reason: not perp, parallel
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
kaput13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Don't get me wrong - I like this - its practical engineering at its finest and makes more sense than most other non track competitive motorcycle events, but with the inevitable advent of electric bike technology that will soon rival the performance of today's bikes, maybe this is a little bit like barking at the moon. Hey, wait a minute, on the other hand, maybe it's just another sublimely ridiculous bit of madness like me riding and wrenching on my old airhead.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput13 View Post
Don't get me wrong - I like this - its practical engineering at its finest and makes more sense than most other non track competitive motorcycle events, but with the inevitable advent of electric bike technology that will soon rival the performance of today's bikes, maybe this is a little bit like barking at the moon. Hey, wait a minute, on the other hand, maybe it's just another sublimely ridiculous bit of madness like me riding and wrenching on my old airhead.
My opinion..

ICE bikes are poised to make large efficiency gains, as more inexpensive 125-250cc equipped bikes running on regular gasoline become available. The scooter generation may graduate toward these 250R beginner bikes to do their 70+ mph commutes and that should bring more Chinese models to the USA. I am already seeing 2011 250R styled Chinese bikes for $3,300 new at the dealer.

For example, what is this thing? I came up blank in researching it. http://daytona.craigslist.org/mcd/2452202128.html

Electric bikes are going to increase in performance and driveability, however they are not going to be improving the range much beyond 100 miles per charge (at 55 mph nominal speeds) due to a multitude of reasons. The cost (initial cost + replacement) and weight of larger batteries, but also the electrics suffer from having to choose a bike for specific application, ergo they are not versatile in that way we expect of motorbikes.
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
kaput13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Electric bikes are going to increase in performance and driveability, however they are not going to be improving the range much beyond 100 miles per charge (at 55 mph nominal speeds) due to a multitude of reasons. The cost (initial cost + replacement) and weight of larger batteries, but also the electrics suffer from having to choose a bike for specific application, ergo they are not versatile in that way we expect of motorbikes.[/QUOTE]

You are describing the state of electric motorcycle technology at this point in time. There are many experts who would disagree with your assessment of what can't be done. Progress in range, power, and decrease in weight has been phenomenal in just the last couple of years and will inevitably reach the point of comparability with gasoline powered bikes. The real problem is profitability. It will be a sad day though as I'm no fan of electric motorcycles.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote