User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
swedeonabike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
another what - bike thread seca ii, virago, etc

So here I am in possession of a 99 cbr600 f4. Great bike but anything over 200 miles a day on it is less than comfortable. The Dr 350 in the garage isn't much better. The honda must go for something with a little more distance in it's blood. Given the time of year sales such so a trade seems like the best bet. Just looking for some opinions on my options.

The contenders:

95 virago 1100- looks very clean but the seller says the throttle push cable needs replaces.

93 seca II - looks nice but I'm afraid it's not up to touring.

82 gl500- had one and loved it but there is a final drive leak and it is pretty old

The rider: 250 lbs of greatness 5'10" 30" inseam I ride somewhat spirited but not enough to be rocking a sport bike. Mostly back highway and more interstate than I care to admit. A couple trips between Kansas and Maine every year.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564536
swedeonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,237

I'm prejudgist by prior experience, take the Virago. The big V is a lovely companion on the highway.
My bike is a 920 with an enclosed chain drive, but, I'd imagine the shafty 1100 to be pretty close.
I rode from Kentucky to Seattle, up into Canada, then south to Mexico and back home. 13,500 miles and I was always happy to climb back on.
I modified my bike somewhat to allow me to do gravel roads with few worries. Skid plate,crash bar and slightly aggressive tires. It all worked well and one day I'll prep the bike for more trips.

bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,853
Well the F4i is a DAMN nice bike. I would think that you could get more value out of it than what the contenders list is made up of.

I would rule out the GL500 straight away. Yes they are good bikes, but I would want one to go full a complete overhaul so it wouldn't give you troubles on a tour. Even after a full overhaul, you still have 1982 tech and handling.

Seca II Another good bike and certainly up to touring. More upright and relaxed than your CBR but a bit less in the engine dept. Clean examples go for about $1500

Virago Good bike as Baker has said. Don't know a whole lot about them but I've seen them valued at about $1700 for good ones.

Are you sure you have exhausted every means to make your F4 comfy? Higher bars, lower pegs etc? If yes and you are sure you want to get rid of it, don't sell it short on value. If it's in good nick, it really should be worth 3-4k Far above the value of bikes that you are looking at.

You might be able to find someone looking to trade for a sport bike from a cruiser more in line with that price range and get a much better bike than your contenders list.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,159
I'd go the Virago as well, but as I'm reading your post I was thinking this guy needs a 650 Strom.

good luck

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #5
swedeonabike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Thanks guys. I check out both the virago and the seca this weekend along with a tdm850 which looks like just the ticket. I like the virago but talking to the owner sends up red flags. Nothing about the bike but he just seems shady. The f4 really isn't my type of bike unfortunately. After putting 5000 miles on it I still find nothing comfortable. Not the seat, handlebar, wind protection, or the high rpms it seems to need. I thought this was going to be a mini version of my blackbird touring rig but oh well. As it stands the f4 is now posted in the flea market and I'll have to check out the trade offers.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564536
swedeonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:06 PM   #6
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
Interesting thread to me. My bike history includes long runs on a CX500 (cheap version of GL500), Seca II, and 2000 CBR600 F4 - in that order. To me, those have been the three best bikes I've ever had.

I still have the CBR - bought it as a low mileage demo way back - and have done a lot of sport-touring on it. To me it is great for that. However, when I rode it a lot I weighed about 90 pounds less than you do (same inseam). Now I just dig it out for the occasional track day or sport ride.

I think the Seca II probably has the greatest most neutral ergonomic set up there is. It is an easy bike to put hundreds of miles on in a day. It could use a little more power but will do the job and gets very good mpg. The shock will wear out but isn't too hard to replace. If it was me, that's the one I would get.
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:07 PM   #7
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Viragos are notorious for starter problems. Mine was replaced at about 8,000 miles. My understanding is that there are two kinds of Viragos: Those that have already had the starter fail and those that will. Something to do with a plastic gear that breaks? It's not a terribly expensive fix (IRRC $300 or so in 1995) but be aware of it.

Also I rode my Virago from North Carolina to Denver in 1996 and I can tell you the seat was not good for long distances, in fact it was a torture rack after about 3 hours.

The charging system is another weak point but I believe this is a common problem with bikes from this era. Just be aware.

Mine was a '92. They were pretty much the same from about 1984 until the model was discontinued, only the 82 and 83 models were a little different style-wise.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:08 PM   #8
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
IMO the best bang-for-your buck in used bikes is probably the Honda Nighthawk 750. Common as weeds, dirt cheap, reliable as hell, and comfortable. Made from 1991 until 2003, there are a ton of them out there.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:19 PM   #9
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootch View Post
Interesting thread to me. I think the Seca II probably has the greatest most neutral ergonomic set up there is. It is an easy bike to put hundreds of miles on in a day. It could use a little more power but will do the job and gets very good mpg. The shock will wear out but isn't too hard to replace. If it was me, that's the one I would get.
Yes, it is an interesting thread, no doubt. And I'm glad to hear your opinion or more info on the Seca II as that's what I'm riding now.
Thanks, Tony