Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #286
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
I see all these people wishing for this bike, saying they would pay $5000-6000 for one, while there are used sr500s out there for half that, with centerstands! For the difference, a person could mod the heck out of it!
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #287
gentlemanjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Well Said
gentlemanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #288
SR400
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Let's get it to the US!

This bike is so great, and I feel it checks all the boxes for what we are missing in the US motorcycle market.

I've been on the phone with Yamaha headquarters to express my interest and see what can be done about getting here. Apparently they only accept written letters. So I'm mailing one tonight!

Just an FYI in case someone else wants to send a letter as well!

Here is the corporate mailing address:

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

(I want one so bad feel free to send me your letter and I'll print it, mail it, and pay for the postage! )
SR400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #289
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
I see all these people wishing for this bike, saying they would pay $5000-6000 for one, while there are used sr500s out there for half that, with centerstands! For the difference, a person could mod the heck out of it!
Those bikes are 35 years old. I would love to have a new one, but I don't want a project that cannot be ridden cross country at any time. I would be very interested in this bike, but ONLY if it has either a centerstand or tubeless tires. If there were no way to repair flats on the road, it would be nothing more than a really cool looking display model to me.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #290
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Those bikes are 35 years old. I would love to have a new one, but I don't want a project that cannot be ridden cross country at any time. I would be very interested in this bike, but ONLY if it has either a centerstand or tubeless tires. If there were no way to repair flats on the road, it would be nothing more than a really cool looking display model to me.
Jerry, you claim to be old-school, but you want a NEW bike? You can work on the old stuff, remember?
I would ride mine cross-country right now, no worries.
You'll never make it out of town, let alone Arizona.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #291
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

"I shouldn't be listening to complaints, I should be making them with you guys! The good Lord lets us grow old for a reason; to gain the wisdom to find fault with everything He's made."
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #292
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,623
Quote:
Jerry, you claim to be old-school, but you want a NEW bike? You can work on the old stuff, remember?
I would ride mine cross-country right now, no worries.
You'll never make it out of town, let alone Arizona.
That's what I like about the SR400. It is a brand new "old school" bike. I had a mid '60s Bonneville and loved it, but it had constant problems. I would love to have a new Kawasaki W650. Same looks and feel, but modern and reliable. I thought they were overpriced when they first came out, and didn't buy one. Now I realize I made a serious mistake. I should have bit the bullet and bought one anyway. I would also love to have a brand new SR500, identical to the one made back in the late '70s. It was perfectly reliable.

But from the condition of the bikes I've seen on Craigslist (both SR500 and XS650) they would need a TOTAL rebuild to be reliable, many of the parts are no longer available, and the ones that are cost a fortune. Working on stuff to keep it going is one thing. Building a new one from the ground up is another.

But if I did find a decent SR500 for sale (reasonably priced and mostly stock) I would probably buy it. I could probably get enough fun out of it to justify the price. But I would not want to "mod" it, I want a stock bike. Most of what I've seen have been converted into rat bobbers.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #293
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Why do motorcyclist think that some 40 year old bike is like the same thing as a new one? Do you guys still drive cars from the 70's too?

Just because you're to cheap to buy anything brand new doesn't mean that everyone else is as well. Maybe some people like brand new machines that they can go to a store, pick out a color, then buy and ride without worrying about anything.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #294
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

To answer the last two replies....
You guys want something old school like an SR500. OK, most for sale on the internet are low mileage, don't need to do hardly anything to them. They have centerstands, tubeless tires, etc..
Poop or get off the pot!!! The old ones are just fine, the new ones are OK.
It's a big single, with electronic ignition, which almost never fails. ( no more than a new one). It's kick-start, OK?
There is nothing to go wrong! Jeebus!! Buy it, ride it, quit yer darn griping!
Really, people complain about what they can't have, but when you give it to them, they are still complaining!!!

Oh, yea, Carter, I have six bikes, one I bought new, ride over twenty- thousand miles a year, and don't worry about the reliability of ANY of my bikes!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #295
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,665
I bought one of those '78 SR500's in '79. Fun first bike until it's ignition rotor crapped out and left me stranded.

iirc, that was with well under 20k kms on the bike.

In 1980 the replacement rotor from Yamaha Canada was $600.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #296
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 532
Yeah, I look at 70s-80s bikes all the time.

For fun.

The most ominous and expensive understatements on CL- "but just needs..." , "everything works except...", "should be an easy fix...", "new parts included...", "needs carbs cleaned..."

;-)
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #297
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I bought one of those '78 SR500's in '79. Fun first bike until it's ignition rotor crapped out and left me stranded.

iirc, that was with well under 20k kms on the bike.

In 1980 the replacement rotor from Yamaha Canada was $600.

First one I EVER heard of. Probably trolling.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #298
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,665
Quote:
First one I EVER heard of. Probably trolling.
It's a true thing.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #299
Dezzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
http://www.slideshare.net/indianauto...-at-eicma-2013
Old 11-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #300
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR400 View Post
This bike is so great, and I feel it checks all the boxes for what we are missing in the US motorcycle market.

I've been on the phone with Yamaha headquarters to express my interest and see what can be done about getting here. Apparently they only accept written letters. So I'm mailing one tonight!

Just an FYI in case someone else wants to send a letter as well!

Here is the corporate mailing address:

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

(I want one so bad feel free to send me your letter and I'll print it, mail it, and pay for the postage! )
Welcome new guy and thanks for the address. I just might write them too.
Super Sneaky Steve is online now   Reply With Quote